U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 61,916 times

Advertisements

{I cannot find where my city is listed here ? Where is Space Coast in the Forums? I will ask my question here, but if I am in the wrong forum do not hesitate to let me know!}

Here is my question:

For those who live on the Space Coast or in Port Saint John, I am writing an autobiographical research paper that analyzes the influence of race as it relates to our community. I must write a first person account of how human interactions in my community have been racialized. For the community, I must consider relations within my neighborhood, local government, service groups, clubs, schools, workplace, or any environment in which I relate. This is my final project for my second year in college, it is a majority of my grade in my Cultural Diversity class, and I cannot find any information on the web about our community. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated, I would like to do my own community, however I think Orlando has much more to offer on race as there are many different races there.

Port Saint John is 88.9% white....I wonder if that says anything about us? What do you think? How do you think race relates to your community?

Thank you for any info you can give, Leave your name and I will cite all information given to me and give appropriate credit in my paper, have a blessed day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,885,753 times
My wife had to write a paper a few weeks ago for her Sociology class.

My opinion is that for many, Race doesn't matter. I think most people are too busy trying to live their life and don't have time to worry about what color someone is. I know on the other hand though, You have a small group of all races that for whatever reason feel they need to " live around their own kind "

I think most people that want to live around people that's a similar race aren't necessarily racists or biggots but rather have a fear of someone or something(s) they don't know.

Of course, You'll find a small faction of people that are racist and want nothing to do with diversity. I think when you find towns or cities that are a majority of one race or another and they are somewhat smaller towns then it mostly has to do with family histories. Basically people that grew up in that town and never left and had kids that grew up and never left and then they had kids that grew up and never left, and so on and so on. It's an opinion and not really a fact but I think most people would agree that race isn't a huge factor in where they would live. Most would cite crime and home values as the highest. Atleast, I would.

Hope my answer helped in some way.

Good luck with your paper.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM

110 posts, read 512,093 times
Arrow Demographic data can be found here....

Demographic data on Florida communities including the space coast can be found at the following link. It is not a commentary on racial issues but at least will give you the demographics.

//www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM

Thumbs up I agree, but half-heartedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
My wife had to write a paper a few weeks ago for her Sociology class.

My opinion is that for many, Race doesn't matter. I think most people are too busy trying to live their life and don't have time to worry about what color someone is. I know on the other hand though, You have a small group of all races that for whatever reason feel they need to " live around their own kind "

I think most people that want to live around people that's a similar race aren't necessarily racists or biggots but rather have a fear of someone or something(s) they don't know.

Of course, You'll find a small faction of people that are racist and want nothing to do with diversity. I think when you find towns or cities that are a majority of one race or another and they are somewhat smaller towns then it mostly has to do with family histories. Basically people that grew up in that town and never left and had kids that grew up and never left and then they had kids that grew up and never left, and so on and so on. It's an opinion and not really a fact but I think most people would agree that race isn't a huge factor in where they would live. Most would cite crime and home values as the highest. Atleast, I would.

Hope my answer helped in some way.

Good luck with your paper.

Thank you for your response I appreciate it! I do agree, race for me, has never been much of an issue. Being Native American (half), we are taught from an early age to respect all things living, the plants, the animals, each other, mother earth, so the idea of "race" for me is fairly new. I have always been taught we are all part of the human race, and just because someone is different, well, so are you. Living here, and in small towns like Christmas and Bithlo, I have seen a number of Confederate flags flying high off of big tall trucks, and even at homes, and it makes me wonder, are they flying them for the wrong reason? Being proud of your Southern Heritage is one thing, as I am proud to be a Southern Girl, but to associate a flag with the oppression of thousands, it is like slapping Lincoln and all who died for the right to freedom, in the face. That simple fact, coupled with our high white population in contrast to cities like Titusville and Cocoa with a high black population, makes we wonder if many here are not racist? I have hope however that they are, like you said, just afraid of something/someone different, not necessarily racist. You have given me great advice and a new angle on this topic, Thank you and have a wonderful week!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FertilityDoc View Post
Demographic data on Florida communities including the space coast can be found at the following link. It is not a commentary on racial issues but at least will give you the demographics.

//www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County