U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,468 times

Advertisements

I just got my assignment to Patrick AFB, my wife will be working on Cape Canaveral AFS. We are looking to buy a house in between the two. I have been looking at Brevardmls.com for about a week now, and wanted to see what others had to say.

Any suggestions on areas to look? I have been gathering that insurance rates are astronomical on the barrier islands, not to mention the housing prices compared to the mainland. I am also seeing some crazy variations in property taxes. Houses that are less than a mile away seem to have a swing of $1200ish - up to $5000, what is going on with that? What areas (convient to both bases) are good to look at? I am also hearing that newer houses (especially built after 2002) are much cheaper with insurance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM

49 posts, read 200,218 times
glad to hear you will be moving into the area. Yes typically most homes insurance are higher along the beach if you can find an insurance agency. Alot of them have moved out. The most common one is citizen's.

I would look at merritt island, cocoa beach or satellite beach. It is true newer homes are built up to the newer hurricane code so the insurance rates are lower. I would be happy to answer more questions for you. Just let me know

Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,505,479 times
Palm Bay has a zillion houses for sale right now, it is a buyer's market!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Palm Bay has a zillion houses for sale right now, it is a buyer's market!
Yeah, and you get a lot more for your money out there too. My only concern with that is the really long (1hr+) commute for my wife going to the cape.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 AM

110 posts, read 520,457 times
Default For information on Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral

There is a realtor in Cocoa Beach who writes a blog on the local real estate market. He has great insight and is quite honest regarding real estate conditions. This is a rarity among brokers. I would suggest that you read his blog to get a better handle on the market.

Larry's Take on the Cocoa Beach Florida Real Estate Market

One lesson I learned. Don't rely on just the MLS. The best deals never make it there or appear and disappear quickly. The best short sales etc never appear on the MLS. You need to find a broker who is buyer's advocate (somewhat rare), knows the market cold and can identify the true deals.

South Cocoa Beach is a great area. Your commute to Patrick's AFB would be almost nil. The beach is deserted there. The Cocoa Beach School system is among the best in the state.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM

Very cool. I just wish I could afford the insurance on the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County