Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 19,473 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

My husband, 5 yr. daughter and I will be relocating to this area from Texas in the next few weeks/months and I would like to know if anyone could provide any information on good neighborhoods, elementary schools, job market, commuting, etc. I will be working at Patrick AFB as a civilian but unfortunately my husband would need to find a job before we arrive or as soon as we get there (he was laid off recently from his assistant manager position at a "big-box" bookstore retailer). We do not plan to buy a home yet, but we would like to find a nice area with townhome/duplex rentals. I would like to live close to the airforce base for work, but I believe that Melbourne would provide better job opportunities for my husband. Any suggestions would be great...oh, also if we did live in Melbourne, Viera, Melbourne Beach area what is the commute distance like to Patrick AFB? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM

16 posts, read 50,027 times
I recently moved to the space coast and have been checking out those areas too. My knowledge is very limited but I have shopped around Viera a few times and also looked at some rental homes in that area. It is very new, very nice area and feels safe with a lot of new amenities....parks, shopping etc. There is also Satellite Beach which is very close to Patrick AFB and I have heard great things about the schools there too. Brevard county has some elementary, middle and high schools that are consistently rated excellent and some Blue ribbon schools as well. My children are not in Kindegarten yet but I have been getting word of mouth feedback, driving around the areas, and the stats here: School Accountability Report... and check out some parent opinions and more stats here: http://www.greatschools.net/
Top 10 Best Florida State Elementary Schools - FL School Rankings

The schools you may want to look at are Spessard Holland Elementary or Surfside Elementary in Satellite Beach (zip code 32937). The Viera and Suntree area of Melbourne the schools are Manatee Elementary, Quest, Suntree and Longleaf (all are in the 32940 zip code). All of which receive high scores as well. The newer parts of Rockledge (zip code 32955) also border on the Viera area. Not sure about the commute times.

Brevard County has a web-site you can find out which school your address is zoned for since realtor.com is not very accurate when they list the schools Edulog's Web Query

Also, check out Space Coast Living magazine Spacecoast Living Magazine (http://sclmagazine.com/viewer/issue/2009-04/ - broken link) It's a pretty good source of what's going on in this area with businesses, developments, entertainment, restaurants, medical facilities, etc. Hope that helps a little.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 PM

7 posts, read 19,473 times
thanks so much for all the imput!! i know that in brevard county parents are allowed to send children to public schools outside of their district. i am looking at freedom 7, louis stevenson and west melbourne elementaries. i know that they are difficult to get into (due to the lotto system), but are there any additional pointers for getting my daughter into one of these schools. also, any encouraging news for employment stats for retail management or in terms of commuting from one of those areas you mentioned to patrick afb. once again thanks so much!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM

39 posts, read 132,510 times
lots of good infon in here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County