U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 18,847 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

My question is simple and is merely a question. (all other posts like this quickly turned into a shouting match, please don't do it with this one). I currently live in Pennsylvania (so I have experience with legislation being against me). My question is, though, would I be able to go for a walk with my boyfriend whilst holding his hand or having my arm around him and not have to worry about being killed or injured in any way? I mean, we've been together for almost 2 years and are monogamous and look down on promiscuity and such. We both dress the gender we are and aren't flamboyant. Would that be safe to do? (obviously you would have to double check the neighborhood, but I'm talking in general)

I have already made the decision to move down there with my boyfriend.

Again, please, this is a question and not a debate over anything so an answer and an answer alone will suffice just fine! THANK YOU! ^_^
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 PM

807 posts, read 2,918,481 times
Provincetown, Key West or San Francisco are for you.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottw View Post
Hello there!

My question is simple and is merely a question. (all other posts like this quickly turned into a shouting match, please don't do it with this one). I currently live in Pennsylvania (so I have experience with legislation being against me). My question is, though, would I be able to go for a walk with my boyfriend whilst holding his hand or having my arm around him and not have to worry about being killed or injured in any way? I mean, we've been together for almost 2 years and are monogamous and look down on promiscuity and such. We both dress the gender we are and aren't flamboyant. Would that be safe to do? (obviously you would have to double check the neighborhood, but I'm talking in general)

I have already made the decision to move down there with my boyfriend.

Again, please, this is a question and not a debate over anything so an answer and an answer alone will suffice just fine! THANK YOU! ^_^
I have to give you an analogy. Is hitchhiking a safe way to get around? The answer is no. Not because a vast majority of the public will hurt you but because there are people who when they pick you up and something happens to you it was no accident. There are people out there looking to make trouble. If you are in a family oriented area and holding hands or have your arms around with your friend. It doesn't matter if you pass a thousand people who could care less. You "will" pass one who may start something, it is a certainty. Florida is southern state, they still drive around with rebel flags on their trucks. Would something happen, it would just be a matter of time. I am just being honest.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 PM

32 posts, read 172,721 times
You might want to call someone in the local social gay organization, called The Living Room. They might have first-hand knowledge. They had annual gay pride event last year in late May. They may be having one this year, so you could come down and check it out and meet people. I googled them and got the info below. Welcome to the area!

Expect rainbows over Wickham Park Pavilion, the site of Brevard's first Gay and Lesbian Pride Festival from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday. The event is presented by The Living Room, a social organization designed to strengthen the gay and lesbian community throughout Brevard County. Festival chairman Kevin Morris, an Episcopal priest, hopes there will be a big turnout. "So far, we will have (at least 40) vendors

Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,774,585 times
Melbourne is fairly conservative. It's a lot different up there than, say, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami Beach, or Key West.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,557,094 times
I think you would want to stick to the major cities: Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Key West (not a city but gay friendly).

Even Tampa and Jacksonville would be less safe or accepting than the others I listed, but Tampa will have better areas than others like South Tampa.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 AM

8,861 posts, read 17,424,560 times
In terms of physical safety, you should be fine, or at least it's no more unsafe than being a straight couple walking down the street together. Most Floridians aren't crazy about the idea of gay marriage, but don't really think much about gay issues or gay people as a group much beyond that. (For all that the 'no gay marriage' ammendment passed last fall, I actually saw fewer yard signs about that one than I did the working waterfront tax breaks ammendment) You'll get coworkers and neighbors who won't be fond of what they see as your lifestyle choice, but it would probably be rare for them to try to make some sort of big issue over your spouse.

I live in by far the most conservative part of the state and my gay neighbors and coworkers tend to have positive impressions of both the area and the people they work with every day.

And I know you said no politics, but somewhere there has to be a Charlie Crist joke if you're gonna discuss this issue. Even though he's now married to a woman (to many peoples' surprise) the rumors that were going around during his election would have killed his campaign in a lot of other places where voters actually had a strong opinion about such things.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,558,959 times
I think seeing a couple of gay guys holding hands would prompt a lot of looks and probably some good ol' gay bashing. Even though the governor is in the closet, nobody cares much about that anymore. Outwardly advertising that someone is a homo is a bad idea anywhere in the US. Even south beach, the area most used to gays has had its share of gay bashing incidents. Your best bet is not to show off your sexual preference. The exception would be a group of steroid queens who nobody would dare fight with. Having a concealed weapon could also be an excellent deterrent to violent homophobes who secretly want to be in your place. We all know that gay bashers struggle with internal homosexuality.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,557,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I think seeing a couple of gay guys holding hands would prompt a lot of looks and probably some good ol' gay bashing. Even though the governor is in the closet, nobody cares much about that anymore. Outwardly advertising that someone is a homo is a bad idea anywhere in the US. Even south beach, the area most used to gays has had its share of gay bashing incidents. Your best bet is not to show off your sexual preference. The exception would be a group of steroid queens who nobody would dare fight with. Having a concealed weapon could also be an excellent deterrent to violent homophobes who secretly want to be in your place. We all know that gay bashers struggle with internal homosexuality.
That was both hilarious and true!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,952,873 times
I was just going to say, this is Florida, why not get a concealed carry permit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County