Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM

334 posts, read 1,147,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic220 View Post
Seriously, what did you do for fun on friday night when you were an adolescent?
What is there to do anywhere else? It's the same story everywhere else I've lived too. Even my wife's cousin from San Diego complains that there's nothing to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM

38 posts, read 143,967 times
"I moved here from Indiana for my job and am quite happy. I haven't really understood the "MelBoring" label. The only legitimate complaint I've heard was about dance club and night clubs; there's plenty of nightlife here, but it's more low key and the crowd is more diverse (read: middle-aged) than in a college town. Other than that, nobody can really come up with anything that would make Melbourne more "interesting". Personally, my wife and I haven't had any problems at all keeping busy! I've never met a teenager who liked where they lived! -jdoty

Well, calm down there. I am actually 28. I lived here my entire life. I might be coming off as pessimistic but you should expect that after 28 years. Maybe its my time to push off. Theres nothing more they can do to make this town more...(lol) interesting? You must be the mayor. I have never met anyone who enjoyed playing a game of baseball or any outdoor activitiy with a heat index of 112. As far as major night life there is NONE. Sure there are plenty of little bars where you run into the same five people over and over again. Any REAL local will point you towards Church st. in Orlando if you ask them where to go for the night life. If your unfortunate enough to have the night shift or are just a night owl you will not be able to find anything decent to eat.( after 9:30) There is plenty Melbourne could do to make itself more appealing.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 PM

18,090 posts, read 11,710,234 times
King Center For Performing Arts has a decent schedule for 2009.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Well, calm down there. I am actually 28. I lived here my entire life. I might be coming off as pessimistic but you should expect that after 28 years. Maybe its my time to push off. Theres nothing more they can do to make this town more...(lol) interesting? You must be the mayor. I have never met anyone who enjoyed playing a game of baseball or any outdoor activitiy with a heat index of 112. As far as major night life there is NONE. Sure there are plenty of little bars where you run into the same five people over and over again. Any REAL local will point you towards Church st. in Orlando if you ask them where to go for the night life. If your unfortunate enough to have the night shift or are just a night owl you will not be able to find anything decent to eat.( after 9:30) There is plenty Melbourne could do to make itself more appealing.
I'm plenty calm, just curious. Like I said, I've only lived here for 3 years, but I personally haven't found it to be boring at all. I was just wondering what other people feel it's lacking that other more "exciting" places have. I've asked people before, and other than the nightlife, nobody can give me an answer about what Melbourne lacks.

As for nightlife, I've done the Church St. thing many times. I find it to be overpriced and overcrowded. I'd much rather just go get a beer at a laid back local bar. I can see how people who want something higher energy would prefer going to Orlando however. To each his own I guess. I'll also grant you that the restaurants here close strangely early. That and the fact that the grocery stores aren't open 24 hours (other than Walmart) took some getting used to when I first moved here.

Of course, I'd probably get bored if I lived in the same place for 28 years too!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM

38 posts, read 143,967 times
well if your a laid back guy and hate the city crowds then this town if for you.
wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
well if your a laid back guy and hate the city crowds then this town if for you.
wish you the best of luck.
Best of luck to you as well! Hopefully you'll be able to get outta here to someplace more your style.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 929 times
Default Slicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Hmmmm, when you put it that was, you have a very good point.
When I was a young teen, I hung out at this place called Slicks. It was like a night club for teens (no alcohol, no one over 18 allowed) on Babcock St but got shut down after a couple years. (Yeah, I'm showing my age LOL). As I approached my middle teens, I usually went to parties - in the woods, at the beach, friends' houses with no parental supervision...
In my later teens I started hanging out with the "band crowd".
My siblings and I somehow turned out OK, but that could have been pure luck.

Right now I live in Tampa, but I am moving to a new job near Atlanta next month. I seriously doubt that's any better, but when I think about it... is there any place safe to raise a child these days?

Slicks was the place to be! It was a night club and there was plenty of alcohol and other items if you knew where to look. I miss those times surfing and slicks on the weekend.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:28 PM

168 posts, read 620,790 times
There is also great surfing

Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 PM

555 posts, read 887,977 times
I must confess that whenever we visit relatives in Melbourne (my husband grew up there, but we live in West Virginia), the beaches and parks give me everything I want to do--but then, I'm a birdwatcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County