U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:27 PM

14 posts, read 35,507 times

Advertisements

Well.... there doesn't seem to be a specific section for the Brevard area of FL, to post this - so I am throwing it out there to a larger crowd. I desperately need help, in a short amount of time, and need current, up to date advice with the help I need:

My husband landed a job in N. Melbourne area - starting there late September. We are mid 20's no kids, and the more quiet non-partying type. We don't have the luxury of being able to go together to house-hunt, and he doesn't want me going down to FL alone. We literally will have to leave NC mid-september, move into a hotel I guess, VIEW houses in person, hunt and pray. He will have NO time between what he is doing now and when he has to start work.

I am trying my best to search every rental site known to man for: Single family POOL home, 2 (pref. 3) rooms, in a safe neighborhood - that isn't more than $1200 a month.

I am having the thoughest time!!! We need to be within reasonable driving distance to Melbourne for his work, so I am willing to look farther out, but Good Lord, everything I see is either overpriced crappy houses/neighborhoods - or unaffordable. Or the very common "community pool" home, which we don't want. Without knowing true driving times, it is so hard for us to search and I am at my wits end, and scared.
Neither of us have ever worked with a realtor, and are afraid of getting tangled in something else that we can't afford.

I personally want to attend a 'decent' cosmetology school within a year, and the looks of the ones in the Brevard area are shady. I might myself need to commute to a bigger metropolis for this, but I don't know if that would be reasonable, with him needing to be in N. Melbourne for work.

Does anyone have any neighborhood recommendations, that might have the type of house we are looking for? Or KNOW of houses that we might be looking for? Please help if you can, in any way - Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,960,875 times
I can't really help with neighborhoods because I live in the next county north, Volusia (Daytona Beach area), but I can help with general distances and throw a few ideas out there. We just spent a weekend there in Viera. Have you looked into that community? It is just south of Melbourne and probably a 15 minute give or take, drive from north Melbourne. It is a planned community, so could possibly be on the expensive side. Is there a reason you do not want to live in a community pool home? We didn't want a pool at all when we moved last time, but it came with the house we liked and now we think its the best feature. If we were moving and couldn't find a home with a pool we would take a community pool neighborhood in a heartbeat. Have you looked into apartments for the time being? Those may be much less expensive to rent than a regular house, at least until you get acquainted with the area better. From Daytona to Melbourne is about an hour and 10 minute drive. I am not sure how far you are willing to drive, but I would think anything from Titusville to Palm Bay would be a reasonable commute. Orlando is about an hour west of Melbourne.

Hope this helps at least a little bit. Good luck with your move!

Nancy

Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM

885 posts, read 2,088,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenmellybee View Post
Well.... there doesn't seem to be a specific section for the Brevard area of FL, to post this - so I am throwing it out there to a larger crowd. I desperately need help, in a short amount of time, and need current, up to date advice with the help I need:

My husband landed a job in N. Melbourne area - starting there late September. We are mid 20's no kids, and the more quiet non-partying type. We don't have the luxury of being able to go together to house-hunt, and he doesn't want me going down to FL alone. We literally will have to leave NC mid-september, move into a hotel I guess, VIEW houses in person, hunt and pray. He will have NO time between what he is doing now and when he has to start work.

I am trying my best to search every rental site known to man for: Single family POOL home, 2 (pref. 3) rooms, in a safe neighborhood - that isn't more than $1200 a month.

I am having the thoughest time!!! We need to be within reasonable driving distance to Melbourne for his work, so I am willing to look farther out, but Good Lord, everything I see is either overpriced crappy houses/neighborhoods - or unaffordable. Or the very common "community pool" home, which we don't want. Without knowing true driving times, it is so hard for us to search and I am at my wits end, and scared.
Neither of us have ever worked with a realtor, and are afraid of getting tangled in something else that we can't afford.

I personally want to attend a 'decent' cosmetology school within a year, and the looks of the ones in the Brevard area are shady. I might myself need to commute to a bigger metropolis for this, but I don't know if that would be reasonable, with him needing to be in N. Melbourne for work.

Does anyone have any neighborhood recommendations, that might have the type of house we are looking for? Or KNOW of houses that we might be looking for? Please help if you can, in any way - Thank you

Be smart, rent in the area first. Then spend a year to decide where is best to buy. In this area it seems to me most people like to live beach side (best schools, most expensive) surprised?

Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,951,111 times
I lived in Indialantic decades ago and loved it. I visited there last year and things hadn't changed a lot, but that's a trek to North Melbourne or Titusville, which is a bit dicey, as is a lot of Brevard County. I think there are some newer developments in west Melbourne and from what I read, Palm Bay's crime-ridden, and too far south for your husband's commute.

I don't know where you're from, but living at the beach is great at your age! I'd go for a house in Indialantic!

I'm not a realtor, just found some houses that might fit your criteria.

rentals (http://www.c21indian.com/Listings/rentals/rentals.htm - broken link)

Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 AM

16,698 posts, read 11,005,490 times
I am in Brevard County but not involved with house rentals. Here is the link to the newspaper - classifieds. I'm sure it's best to look over on Sunday morning.

There is a cosmetology school located on 192 New Haven Road in Melbourne. I personally like Palm Bay area; country, more quiet but main road is under construction - will be completed in summer 2010. Also, driving here is not about mileage or gas spend, it's about the traffic and lights. Melbourne is a small town with a city-feel. The road system is like a square grid - all main roads touch each other - eventually!

If I can help you more, I will certainly do my best.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 44,521 times
I live in Indialantic. The commute to north Melbourne (I am assuming close to 95) would be around 30 minutes depending on the time of day. If you want to live beachside you may consider Satellite Beach which isn't as nice as Indialantic but there are some nice houses on the west side of So. Patrick Drive closest to Patrick Airforce Base. The homes that are just south of the base are the ones I am referring to, some of the other areas in Satellite Beach are no biggie.

New developments can be found in the Vierra/Suntree areas. They are just off of 95 & Wickham.

I personally do not care for Palm Bay and here are the reasons why. There are too many rules and then there aren't. A friend of mine was sited for not having a car registred that was parked in her driveway, yet the lot next to her house hadn't had the underbrush cut in over a year and was well over 3' high a fire hazard in Florida. Additionally, getting in and out of Palm Bay is not easy. There is only Palm Bay Rd which can be a traffic nightmare. Additionally, the majority of the homes are built on septic tanks which after a # of years needs 2/b replaced which is happening now as they have been in for over 25 years.

I suggest you do what we did when we first moved here and that was to rent. This gave us enough time to see what neighborhoods flood, traffic patterns which is different when schools are not in session, location of services, ie: shops etc.

If you want, you can contact me directly at my e-mail is Moderator cut: Under the Terms of Service; It is not recommended that you openly display your personal information. Rather, do send a direct message right here in City-Data by clicking on the poster's name and send direct message. We can exchange #'s if you wish then.

Last edited by 2goldens; 08-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Removed private email address. Please contact poster in private direct message.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,458 times
please dont listen to all these palm bay lovin freaks. i grew up in palm bay and went to school there. it is ahorrible crime ridden, traffic nightmare, not to mention the mesquito infestation. i think the best area for you would be the rockledge or viera area. rockledge is older, alot of pool homes at reasonable prices and only 15min to melbourne, and only 10 min to viera which is a whole new community with great schools and shopping. on the down side viera is quite a bit more expensive especially for a home with private pool, you will see alot of those communitty pools. also just came to mind is suntree, the next community north of melbourne, maybe 5 min. much like viera just a little older. also expensive and alot of community pools. of the 3 areas id have to say rockledge is my fave, it is where i currently live and have for past 10 years, love it if you just want a safe, quiet, decent, affordable place to live and not a long commute to great shopping

Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 AM

24 posts, read 93,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie1212 View Post
please dont listen to all these palm bay lovin freaks. i grew up in palm bay and went to school there. it is ahorrible crime ridden, traffic nightmare, not to mention the mesquito infestation. i think the best area for you would be the rockledge or viera area. rockledge is older, alot of pool homes at reasonable prices and only 15min to melbourne, and only 10 min to viera which is a whole new community with great schools and shopping. on the down side viera is quite a bit more expensive especially for a home with private pool, you will see alot of those communitty pools. also just came to mind is suntree, the next community north of melbourne, maybe 5 min. much like viera just a little older. also expensive and alot of community pools. of the 3 areas id have to say rockledge is my fave, it is where i currently live and have for past 10 years, love it if you just want a safe, quiet, decent, affordable place to live and not a long commute to great shopping
I live in the Rockledge area also. Moved here a year ago from Long Island,NY. We love it.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,840 times
to blondie1212 -where from Long Island did you move? Do you have children? I have 3 and we are considering relocating what are the pros/cons? How are the schools? how hard was it to find jobs?? Dee

Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 35,507 times
Thanks you everyone for your input!! It's helped me look more directly at specific neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>