U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 PM

54 posts, read 311,953 times

Advertisements

looking for info on sykes cove in merritt island - young family looking to relocate wondering if this place is family oriented, are there mostly older people living here or are there families with young children? are there community events? are people friendly? do neighbors get together for poker and drinks? are people out riding bikes, jogging, walking or is everyone in their home with the a/c on? i need help finding a family friendly coastal community!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 25,726 times
Default Sykes Cove, Merritt Island

Sykes Cove is a very nice subdivision in central Merritt Island. Yes there are young families, as well as all other ages. They have a nice playground just for their community. They have community events (egg hunts, 5k runs, etc). It's in an excellent area, but the local elementary school zoned in that area is CROWDED. You can, however, request to have your children attend a different public school. There are also a few private schools nearby and homeschooling is pretty popular around here. You have homes on the water and not on the water. Either way, they are all nice and pretty new. I'd say it is certainly a family friendly neighborhood. You're about 10 minutes from the beach. 5 minutes to the nearest grocery store. 5 minutes to the highway. 45 minutes to Orlando Intl Airport.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,848 times
Default We just moved into Sykes Cove

Hello, We just moved into Sykes Cove from Marietta, GA. In response to your post, I would say the neighborhood is half and half. Our oldest daughter (12) had made a lot of friends in the neighborhood but our youngest (8) has not although there are some boys her age, but she is shy. People are outside in the evening riding bikes, walking dogs, etc. There is a park in the neighborhood and some events seem to be planned for the children throughout the year. Personally, I would like to see a Bunco group or some other type events for the adults so we can also make friends. Good luck with your decision! Julie

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 PM

257 posts, read 1,044,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love ny View Post
looking for info on sykes cove in merritt island - young family looking to relocate wondering if this place is family oriented, are there mostly older people living here or are there families with young children? are there community events? are people friendly? do neighbors get together for poker and drinks? are people out riding bikes, jogging, walking or is everyone in their home with the a/c on? i need help finding a family friendly coastal community!
there is enough to do there but its not thriving, the great thing about the location is that your pretty much in the central of alot as far as South, Daytona, and Orlando. I have been to Merritt Island 7 times, and i like it...but if you look inland to Titusville you might find it more appealing. You dont have ALOT going on but again enough. Daytona about 50 miles north, Orlando about 30 miles west, and Palm about 180 miles south. Im not sure if its a place for a new thriving family...but it definitely is a better place to raise kids then the hustle and bustle of the city such as miami

Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 25,014 times
Smile Sykes Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemccann View Post
Hello, We just moved into Sykes Cove from Marietta, GA. In response to your post, I would say the neighborhood is half and half. Our oldest daughter (12) had made a lot of friends in the neighborhood but our youngest (8) has not although there are some boys her age, but she is shy. People are outside in the evening riding bikes, walking dogs, etc. There is a park in the neighborhood and some events seem to be planned for the children throughout the year. Personally, I would like to see a Bunco group or some other type events for the adults so we can also make friends. Good luck with your decision! Julie
Julie,

My 8 year old daughter, Hannah, would love to meet your daughter. We have been looking into the Merritt Island area to relocate from Syracuse, New York. We are looking into making a decision prior to the new school year beginning. Thanks for your input on this site (I was just browsing, but you answered some of my questions). We are also looking for a family-friendly neighborhood and our children will have to make new friends. (Hannah, 8, Gavin, 10) There is a house for sale in Sykes Cove now that is very interesting to us. Anything else you can tell me about the area would be helpful, such as finding pedicatrians, doctors, dentists, etc... It all seems so overwhelming, but we hope it will be worth it in the long run.

Michele

Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,874 times
Hello. I moved to Sykes Cove in '05 after retirement. This is a great community for young families and retirees as well. We are a community of 205 residences, both on navagable water, fishing ponds as well as fully landed homes. The community has a playground for the kids, two lighted tennis courts, community functions and a very friendly group of neighbors. This is a deed restricted neighbor, dues are $250/year. We have an active Board of Directors, and always invite residents to join the board or participate by attending the monthly meetings. We are active in working with the County, our Commissioner and the Sheriff's office, always keeping an eye on local happenings and cooperative efforts to help and beter protect our neighborhood. If you are seriously considering here, please send me a note and I can send a copy of our governing documents so you know the restrictions.

The area has many recreational opportunities as well. If you are a boater, there are 2 large boat ramps at Port Canaveral, about 10 minutes away. If you like shallow water boating/fishing Kelly and Kiwainnas park is less than 10 away. Orlando and the many attractions is less than an hour away. The baeah is 10 minutes away, Jetty Park is closest with wide beach and fishing pier. Kennedy Space Center is just North, we watch the launches from our front street and are annual visitor members.
I hope you look favoribly on moving to Sykes Cove.
John

Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,848 times
Default Hi

Sorry this is a late reply, Michele. The site doesn't notify you when you have a reply and I stumbled back on here by accident.... email me directly with your questions and I will try to help: juliemccann@earthlink.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County