Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM

41 posts, read 89,938 times

Advertisements

Mommyofone, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. We're actually moving next week to Melbourne. Hubby has a job lined up and we have enough in the bank to live on for a few years so we'll be ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofone View Post
I would not suggest a move to sarasota right now. Me and my fiance just recently moved back after being in oklahoma for 2 years and it was the biggest mistake we could have made! jobs are impossible to come by and so many businesses are closing down.the economy has hit hard and sarasota took a huge hit. Sarasota was once known for its tourism but with the economy the way it is it is quickly falling under. I remember when we would drive around and landscaping of every home and business was amazing.now things are overgrown,the roads are terrible and like i said,the jobs are gone. yes the schools are good but its not worth the stress and struggle of finding a job here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,676 times
Melbourne is a nice cross between a town and a city. You're not far away from the Atlantic ocean, so if you like the water, you'll love Melbourne. I've visited on many occasions and have always had a good time. Blueberry Muffin--mom&pop breakfast/lunch diner is a fixture and a real treat. The blueberry muffins are homemade and the best!!! There are some other really good restaurants there, as well. During my most recent visit I was shocked to see the effects of the recession so blatantly. Restaurants I'd frequented less that 2 months prior were closed for business. I knew people whose salaries were cut, demoted or laid off. Anyway, I am sure you and your family will make a good life there. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM

3,973 posts, read 8,121,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2009 View Post
I really want to hear from families who relocated to FL. Were you able to adjust and make friends? How do you like the schools etc?

I'm moving from CT in 2 weeks to the Melbourne area although I'm still not sure if that is the area I want to be in. (this citydata forum can be really confusing!)

I've read so many negative stories and I'm kind of scared! I have two toddlers so schools aren't an issue just yet.

So for those of you who made the move, are you happy??
Its a good place to live in Florida. Don't believe all the hype you hear about places. This area's schools are ranked in the top 3 of the state. There are lots of activities for kids and families. I moved to this area 30+ years ago when Melbourne/PalmBay only had about 50,000 people. Now there is close to 200,000 so growth changed it some, but people are still friendly, smile, say hi and genuinely are caring people in this area. I hope you love it as much as I do. I am glad we raised our kids here.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 PM

39 posts, read 132,178 times
We are building a home In rockledge at the moment. I'm pcsing to Patrick afb and I absolutely love the area. we went to that area 5 or 6 times before i put in for a pcs move. My family and I are beach bums so it fits us pefect

Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im Divorced and have no family but id be pleased to tell you ; I moved to the Panhandle of Florida last March from northern Illinois where i spent some 49 years . I wish i would have moved to Florida long before I did, Ive made very nice friends of both sexes easily, I find the people of the South to be extremely friendly/outgoing/hospitable/considerate/and of high moral caliber ., almost entirely. I love the strong Christian values to the Panhandle and having no more ice,snow, cold, being shut inside for 5-6 months at a time is a real blessing. The pace is slower which is enjoyable after living in a rat race , home costs and property taxes rediculously cheap by comparison , and the quality of the roads are second to none. And the super beaches are a cherry on the top ! Good luck with your move to the South, and practice 'ya all' each and every day !
Yes but your situation is different,you are single and have no young children. A move is always harder on the kids. Coming from NE(the OP) your children are going to be ahead of the public schools down here. FL ranks just above Mississippi in schools.

Your leaving good school for poor ones.

Many people from other states find paying for private schools is the only way to go. I hope your renting first. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,704,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes but your situation is different,you are single and have no young children. A move is always harder on the kids. Coming from NE(the OP) your children are going to be ahead of the public schools down here. FL ranks just above Mississippi in schools.

Many people from other states find paying for private schools is the only way to go. I hope your renting first. Good luck.
Where RV and I live, one of the local high schools averages a dozen National Merit notable students and 2 national finalists in the Intel (formerly Westinghouse) National Science Fair every year, and regularly sends the top 5% of graduates to the most selective universities in the country.

When they have the budget to do so, they actually run summer programs for incoming students in order to make sure they're up to speed for their grade level here.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 AM

41 posts, read 89,938 times
Yes of course I'm renting first! I can't imagine buying a home in a state I've never tested out first

My kids are only 2 and 3.. they haven't started schools yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Old 09-26-2009, 12:05 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,314,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin;
Coming from NE(the OP) your children are going to be ahead of the public schools down here. FL ranks just above Mississippi in schools.

Talking out your rear again, I see:

Florida ranked #30 in Elementary School Level (above the NE states of Rhode Island and Maryland). Mississippi ranked #49.

Ranking of Elementary Schools in USA

AND, as IF the ENTIRE state of Florida all has the same quality of schools, regardless of city demographics, income, etc.!! We'll forget that Florida has numerous nationally ranked schools, and school systems ranked 9s and 10s at Greatschools.net.

Seriously, some of the "geniuses" on this board educated in the "NE" or "_____ where it's better than here" seem to show a complete lack of complex though process that does NOT help their cases!

Old 10-10-2009, 01:01 PM

39 posts, read 132,178 times
^^^ good post

Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,040,155 times
It does not cease to amaze me how one person can put out so much mis-information. I could understand having a hatred for a place, but to make comments that have no factual backing to them, constantly, really is a thing I can't understand. From what I see, it's their "thing". As long as people shoot back a comment stating that their information is garbage, the people who need the real info will get the idea to avoid certain posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Talking out your rear again, I see:

Florida ranked #30 in Elementary School Level (above the NE states of Rhode Island and Maryland). Mississippi ranked #49.

Ranking of Elementary Schools in USA

AND, as IF the ENTIRE state of Florida all has the same quality of schools, regardless of city demographics, income, etc.!! We'll forget that Florida has numerous nationally ranked schools, and school systems ranked 9s and 10s at Greatschools.net.

Seriously, some of the "geniuses" on this board educated in the "NE" or "_____ where it's better than here" seem to show a complete lack of complex though process that does NOT help their cases!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County