Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM

41 posts, read 90,271 times

Advertisements

I really want to hear from families who relocated to FL. Were you able to adjust and make friends? How do you like the schools etc?

I'm moving from CT in 2 weeks to the Melbourne area although I'm still not sure if that is the area I want to be in. (this citydata forum can be really confusing!)

I've read so many negative stories and I'm kind of scared! I have two toddlers so schools aren't an issue just yet.

So for those of you who made the move, are you happy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Lightbulb Not Much Time 2 Do Your Homework!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2009 View Post
I really want to hear from families who relocated to FL. Were you able to adjust and make friends? How do you like the schools etc?

I'm moving from CT in 2 weeks to the Melbourne area although I'm still not sure if that is the area I want to be in. (this citydata forum can be really confusing!)

I've read so many negative stories and I'm kind of scared! I have two toddlers so schools aren't an issue just yet.

I know several couples that have moved to Florida and those with school age children suffered the most in their quest to find good schools......but not knowing the area...I cannot help you with the school issue.

Those that moved back cited 4 main reasons...1 - missed their family...2 - not fast paced enough for them (basically could not adjust to the Florida life style)...3 - did not like the heat...4 - could not find employment that supported their life style...

Regarding the schools...there are numerous sites that will tell you what the school scores are or what they want you to know......but the only way you can tell for sure is to visit the schools covering your area...start with the High School...for that is where every student from elementary & middle school in your end up......if you cannot see your child going there...it's time to look somewhere else...

A friend of mine once told me when I was looking to buy my first home..."Start with the schools and then the homes"...take it for what it's worth...and good luck in your quest...

Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
Moving your family to any new location requires an adjustment. That would be true whether you are moving to Florida or South Dakota - its a new environment with new people. If you make friends easily and have interests outside your home, you will likely carry those traits with you and make friends easily here. If you are more introverted, it may take you some time, but that would be true anywhere. I don't think you should be any more frightened of moving to Florida because it is Florida. It sounds like the decision to move had been made - make the most of it, find out the positive things about moving to Florida and focus on them - you won't be shoveling snow this winter! and try to make it fun. Moving is stressful, not matter where you go. If you are apprehensive, your kids will feel it and become anxious, too. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:

Well, I can't say that I have moved from any area because I've lived in SW Florida my entire life. I have three kids and feel very fortunate that my kids are in a fantastic public school. They go to Pine View School for the Gifted. It was ranked the top public school in the state and one of the top schools in the Nation.

I'm not too sure about the school system over in Melbourne but I can Say that Sarasota county has a very good school system.

For more info on the schools you can check out this website: School Accountability Report... or this one: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Brevard Schools are reasonably good. I'd probably aim for schools where the local high tech workers send their kids since parental expectations can really drive how well a school does. (They expect a lot from both kids and schools and are willing to work to make that happen)

Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
We moved in June with 2 children, one in high school and one in elem school...We were worried about the area we chose thinking everyone would be snobby and rude and on the contrary we have experienced the complete opposite, and Im glad I didnt listen to people because I dont know if we would have choosen this area over one of the other ones we had been considering...In any case we are very happy with our decision...We have made some really nice friends, my kids have made friends and we are all very happy....It is very difficult no matter where u look because u never seem to have enough time to perfect your homework and even if u do, sometimes it doesnt always mean you will still love where you choose...I would definately rent before buying as that is what we decided to do....We spent the jewish holiday's with our neighbors/freinds and had a blast and it was nice of them to have invited us....we are VERY happy with our children's schools and have no complaints as its the same work as they did where we previously came from....

Good Luck to your family

Old 09-20-2009, 12:05 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
My perspective is from the opposite point of view. We moved out of Florida and I prefer the lifestyle now, but do miss my friends and how welcoming and open South Floridians are - I think its because it is filled with so many transplants. As for schools - Florida has a lot of work to do to improve their schools.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I'm from the CT/Mass line. The northeast CT area, the quiet corner.

Moving from CT to Florida will be very different. The schools in New England are stellar.

Having said that, my dad lives in Melbourne and I like that area.

We lived in Lee County and I hated the schools so we moved to TN. Lee County had school choice, which was an absolute mess, along with many other things.

But, once again, I like the Melbourne area. There are a lot of high-tech jobs there, so I would think that the schools would be good, like another poster said.

I'd trust SoFlGal's expertise when it comes to Sarasota, too, so that is another possibility.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 14,962 times
I would not suggest a move to sarasota right now. Me and my fiance just recently moved back after being in oklahoma for 2 years and it was the biggest mistake we could have made! jobs are impossible to come by and so many businesses are closing down.the economy has hit hard and sarasota took a huge hit. Sarasota was once known for its tourism but with the economy the way it is it is quickly falling under. I remember when we would drive around and landscaping of every home and business was amazing.now things are overgrown,the roads are terrible and like i said,the jobs are gone. yes the schools are good but its not worth the stress and struggle of finding a job here.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:

Im Divorced and have no family but id be pleased to tell you ; I moved to the Panhandle of Florida last March from northern Illinois where i spent some 49 years . I wish i would have moved to Florida long before I did, Ive made very nice friends of both sexes easily, I find the people of the South to be extremely friendly/outgoing/hospitable/considerate/and of high moral caliber ., almost entirely. I love the strong Christian values to the Panhandle and having no more ice,snow, cold, being shut inside for 5-6 months at a time is a real blessing. The pace is slower which is enjoyable after living in a rat race , home costs and property taxes rediculously cheap by comparison , and the quality of the roads are second to none. And the super beaches are a cherry on the top ! Good luck with your move to the South, and practice 'ya all' each and every day !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County