Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,995 times

Advertisements

Okay, briefly, I found out that I am being relocated to Cocoa Beach for work--to Patrick AFB, in November. I'm coming from the Northeast, having spent much time in the concrete jungle of Manhattan and the woods in upstate New York. I'm about to turn 30-years-old.

From reading the posts here, many snowbirds and families relocate here. I fit into neither category, being that I'm newly single with no dependents. I prefer, really, the beach life and a nice social scene. Could anyone offer suggestions on where I should live? I've never lived on--nor even near--a beach, but I do receive a nice housing stipend that allows for it, at least that's what I've been led to believe. I'd be comfortable spending up to $900/month on a 1 bedroom/1 bath condo. In no way am I interested in a townhouse or house.

My worry is that I will move into a building (Del Boca Vista, anyone?) where I am the youngest resident by several decades. To avoid that catastrophe, and since I don't have much time to go "house hunting", I wanted to ask for advice on which beach towns and/or condo buildings I should live in. I'm disinclined to consider Melbourne or other inland towns. If I am being told to live somewhere for a few years, I want to live near the beach, even if it means straying from my age group. Also, I'd prefer a short commute to work.

Would Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, or Indialantic be an ideal place to live? I'm open to any suggestions and biased opinions. I'm even making a trip down later this week just to walk around neighborhoods and talk to people about the towns. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:02 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
downtown melbourne

Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
You should be able to find a condo for rent in your price range in any of those towns. All are small towns on the beach with a few restaurants and a few bars......not a lot of night life. I would concentrate on just finding a condo with a pool, tennis courts, etc. and just plan social life knowing you might have to drive to various towns in the area and Orlando for it.
My son is single in young 30s too. He bought a house and sort of regrets it because it is not on the beach and he is a surfer. His friend who is a dentist has a condo in Cocoa Beach on the ocean and his friend who is a banker has a house in South Melbourne Beach on the beach. They all spend more time in Cocoa Beach unless the waves are better South. I would look in CB first and see what is available long term and then south of Patrick. I think the condos south might be a little newer than in CB which has a lot of older condos between Ron Jons and the pier on A1A. If you want ocean view though remember that A1A in Cocoa Beach is not always on the beach,sometimes it is about 2 blocks walk to beach.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM

216 posts, read 913,009 times
Satellite Beach maybe.....or Indialantic. Melbourne Beach is great, I live here and love it, but I am a Mom with two kids. It is a hidden gem for families but NO social scene if you are single. Indialantic is still mostly family oriented, but a bit more north and closer to the causeways (192 & Eau Gallie) so getting over to downtown Melbourne is close, quick & easy. When I say 'downtown Melbourne' I mean about 1/2 mile of restaurants & bars....that is about the social scene here. If you are working at Patrick, Satellite Beach would be a good fit....then you are close to the Pineda causeway which is not a bad drive into Orlando - you will find a much better single, social scene there. Try looking on vacation rentals by owner or vrbo.com or one of those sites, when we first moved here, we found temporary, furnished places using those sites and they worked out great. We started with a 2 month rental in Indialantic at Oceanside, then got a 3 month rental on the beach at the Breakers (talk about Del Boca Vista) but it really gave us time to evaluate the area. We decided on Melbourne Beach for our family. My personal opinion of your choices: Indialantic is nicest, Satellite Beach 2nd, Cocoa Beach 3rd.....but not much social scene beachside really so try to be close to a causeway so you can get off the island when you need to but after a while of being on the island, you find you don't really want to leave......I didn't believe people either when they first told me "we try to never go over the causeway"......I moved from Orlando and was like WHAT....that sounds so lazy??? But after being beachside for 18+ months, I get it. Anyway, we are in the opposite situation of yours. My husband was laid off from a company here and took a job in the Northeast....I dread going back to the cold and can't wait for the economy to improve so we can come back. It is very laid back here......if you love the beach, you'll love living here.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 AM

19 posts, read 44,964 times
Default Real Estate Agent

If you're looking for a real estate agent, I can recommend Sandy Nickless with Coldwell Banker in the Melbourne Beach area. She's great, and she's got a lot of experience in the field. She can show you possible rentals within your price range. Good luck!

Here's a link to her contact information: Vero Beach Real Estate

Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM

20 posts, read 36,733 times
I live in Indialantic, just off Eau Gallie. 2 blocks to the beach. Ride the bike to fish, surf and snorkel when no waves.

I rarely drive, as everything is close enough to ride the bike. I do drive over the causeway to work 5 nights a week at a Restaurant, but other than that rarely do...no need really. Being single myself, I find the night life lacking, and when you do hit downtown Melbourne---the Police will pull you for anything so be careful if drinking. You can find something Beachside for under $900 no problem.

Billy

Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM

205 posts, read 241,215 times
Dude, you're 30 coming from NYC? Bro, you're gonna hate life in this area of Florida. From Jupitor to Jacksonville is almost dead, chock full of families and old people. I would chose Jupiter. Orlando has much more going on, and Tampa. if I was 30 again, which i am not, i'd head out to SF ( San Francisco )

Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 AM

25 posts, read 68,046 times
If you REALLY want to learn to use a surfboard then beachside is you best bet.....A good board is long and heavy unless you have a pick up.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM

188 posts, read 276,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
Dude, you're 30 coming from NYC? Bro, you're gonna hate life in this area of Florida. From Jupitor to Jacksonville is almost dead, chock full of families and old people. I would chose Jupiter. Orlando has much more going on, and Tampa. if I was 30 again, which i am not, i'd head out to SF ( San Francisco )

true story

Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 AM

585 posts, read 1,086,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch22 View Post
From reading the posts here, many snowbirds and families relocate here. I fit into neither category, being that I'm newly single with no dependents. I prefer, really, the beach life and a nice social scene. Could anyone offer suggestions on where I should live? I've never lived on--nor even near--a beach, but I do receive a nice housing stipend that allows for it, at least that's what I've been led to believe. I'd be comfortable spending up to $900/month on a 1 bedroom/1 bath condo. In no way am I interested in a townhouse or house.

My worry is that I will move into a building (Del Boca Vista, anyone?) where I am the youngest resident by several decades. To avoid that catastrophe, and since I don't have much time to go "house hunting", ...
When we moved here (and we moved into an 'over 55' retirement community) we found that we were 'the youngest by several decades'.

It's hardly a problem. - Our neighbours don't keep us up at night and we don't have to put up with 'teenagers' with mega-boom boxes in cars with windows which won'tr keep the sound in.

One of my neighbours does tend to get a bit boring. He's got a hobby and he tells me about it every weekend. Free Fall parachuting is an 'OK' hobby and he's a brilliant (albeit retired) professional photographer, but you'd think that by the time somebody got to be 82, he would back off a bit and just enjoy his hobby.

That's the problem with living around old farts. They keep doing stuff (but at least they don't keep me awake at night )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County