U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM

8,215 posts, read 12,482,927 times

Advertisements

I would be flying down special if I decide to do this.
Is it....really crowded? How far in advance do you have to book a hotel in the area? How early do you have to head out to find a good place to park and stand to watch? Tips and help and recommendations appreciated
Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 PM

3,757 posts, read 7,857,664 times
You must call and get tickets (i think its a few months ahead). They will request social security numbers and you will be notified by mail - you will also get a parking pass. The lines to get into the complex on a launch day are hours long - so plan that into your time. Its an amazing experience enjoy!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 PM

I believe there are lots of other places to view the launch beside the Kennedy Space Complex visitor center. I am not interested in the KSC

Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 AM

24,112 posts, read 24,243,760 times
If you drive... be fore warned. After a launch it could take 2+ hours to get back to Orlando.. If you can get into Jetty Park.. about 12-15 hours before launch you will have a great view.. Jetty Park is where the Cruise Ships Dock.. Follow the Beach Line ( 528 ) Old Name Bee Line into Cape Carnival.. and claim a piece of turf.. plenty to drink (Water~Pop ) comfortable clothes ~ shoes and sun protection.. and a folding chair.. and wait ~~~ wait ~~~wait.. and wait... This launch will be at night 04:32 Sunday 2/7 11 min window if memory serves me...Very crowed for night launch.. so be prepared.. warm and dry..

Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Holy cow - 12 to 15 hours? So basically a bazillion people show all over the area and its a zoo? I love the space program and would love to see a launch before it ends but I'm not sure I'm up for those kind of crowds.........so....really that bad huh?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM

4,192 posts, read 10,686,900 times
You can still get a nice view of it from Orlando. I live in east Orlando and I try to watch as much launches I can. I never actually drove to jetty park to view a launch. One time I went to jetty park just for a day at the beach and didn't realize there was a shuttle launch later that afternoon, but i had other plans so we had to leave just as it was getting crowded with people and news crews. I would say it starts getting crowded about 4 hours before the launch, definitely not 12.

this is a view from Orlando

this is a view from the jetty/space coast area http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_T8xQyD9hUxA/SERWKc5O1EI/AAAAAAAAAo4/mrrlB-htxYA/s320/12-_shuttle_flpe105.jpg (broken link)

If your not going pay to see the launch up close from KSC, then you might as well just stay in Orlando, because it doesn't look much different.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,938,172 times
I watched once from Jetty Park. Got there maybe two hours before. Was still plenty of parking even minutes before launch. But right then launch was cancelled. Apparently that happens a lot. So count on adding a few days to your countdown.

As to the even itself. Basically you'll be spending a couple of days for a few seconds of thrill time. Definitely worth doing once but I don't think I'd bother with it again.

Note that the park is quite large, no sense of too many people, lots of area along the seawall and other areas. Also there is a public beach right there if you want to make a day of it.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 AM

What I had heard about the Kennedy Space Center was that while you were very close, buildings blocked the actual view of the shuttle on the pad. I would like to be in view of the Shuttle on the Pad - I have good binoculars. And even if its far away I still would like to be able to see it from the bottom up as it were.
Can you do that from this jetty space coast area?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM

110 posts, read 512,859 times
Arrow Hopefully this helps

Here are some links to FAQ's on Shuttle Viewing. It will give you complete information. Jetty Park in Port Canaveral is a decent place to see the launch

NASA - View a Shuttle Launch Official Nasa Site

Launch Viewing: Where & How to Watch, View and See Space Shuttle Launches Photography Site

http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/space/shuttle/guide.txt Exhaustive review of viewing areas

Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM

3,724 posts, read 6,718,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
You can still get a nice view of it from Orlando. I live in east Orlando and I try to watch as much launches I can. I never actually drove to jetty park to view a launch. One time I went to jetty park just for a day at the beach and didn't realize there was a shuttle launch later that afternoon, but i had other plans so we had to leave just as it was getting crowded with people and news crews. I would say it starts getting crowded about 4 hours before the launch, definitely not 12.

this is a view from Orlando

this is a view from the jetty/space coast area

If your not going pay to see the launch up close from KSC, then you might as well just stay in Orlando, because it doesn't look much different.
Well, from the pics you posted one was a night shot and one was a day shot. Way different view is actually seen from Orlando during a day shot. Also it looks like the day shot was snapped a little too late .

We have never gone to Jetty Park for a launch but used to go on causeway at cape when we got free passes before 911 from the tech company my husband worked for. If you buy the ticket, they bus you out close to where we used to watch from. It is awesome and you will not forget the site from the moment the first flash of fire starts as it climbs up. You will hear the rumbles and you might even notice the ground shake a little.

If you don't purchase a pass and try to see it from the Visitors center it will still be closer than almost anywhere else but there will be buildings it will have to clear before you see it.

One great place to watch a launch from is the bank of the Indian River just across from the launch pad. You will see it as soon as it lights and hear the rumble and feel ground shake . There is a place called Space View park where a lot of people go to watch from. Down by Port St. John there is a park on the river where we used to go sometimes, too. I think it is Nicole Park. Still close and still a great view. Might want to get to Space View or Nicole Park 5 or 6 hours early so if driving from Orlando plan a longer than normal drive time to get to the coast because of heavier traffic. It will be bumper to bumper going back.

You could also go to U.S. Space Walk of Fame, the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame, the Cocoa Beach Pier or any of the beaches south of Port Canaveral. We usually don't go any farther than Patrick Air Force beaches now and get a descent view of the launch even though we could just stay in our yard. We like to watch people see one launch for the first time.

Sit tight for a while after the launch and plan a beach day, eat breakfast, etc. before heading back. If leaving minutes after the launch, less traffic comes South so you might want to take 520 in Cocoa or 192 in melbourne to head West to Disney etc. You will still be in bumper to bumper traffic till you get to Melbourne, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County