U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM

263 posts, read 830,772 times

Advertisements

We have been told we likely have a buyer for our house, and we just spent a week exploring Cocoa Beach, Melbourne, and Palm Bay in anticipation of our move.

Everyone, everywhere we went, was friendly and enthusiastic about living in these three areas, and had nothing but good things to say, and said they were very happy there. We found several nice, affordable, pet friendly rentals in Palm Bay and thought the town seemed nice. Palm Bay seemed to have the most reasonable cost of living. A lot of people said there are jobs to be had, if you really wanted one. We will have six months of income saved until we find jobs.

Any opinions on recent crime rates, schools, and neighborhoods? TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:21 PM

16,362 posts, read 10,833,163 times
Tell us more: What school age children do you have? What field of employment?

I moved to Palm Bay in Jan 2009. If you need to me check out housing or an area, let me know, I will drive by for you.

A few things to be said is the driving here in Melbourne/Palm Bay - brake happy people! The speed limit is 40-45 mph on most roads yet the traffic moves 20-30 with blocking lanes and timing red lights. I almost crashed today because one SUV driver ahead of me (right lane) couldn't make up mind about where to turn right - a store or corner - no signals. You really have to keep your eyes on the roads here - really stupidly dangerous. Lots of crosses with flowers along the roadsides.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 PM

We have a toddler (20 mos), but if we really like the area we may buy a house after we get jobs, so good schools are a concern. Are there any charter schools in Palm Bay?

We both have backgrounds in Criminology, specifically corrections, case management, security and Probation. Hubby is also a bartender currently, and would take another bartending job temporarily if necessary. Ultimately he wants to return to corrections / law enforcement. I'm hoping to switch gears and open a licensed day care. I'm hoping to be able to spend more time with our child than I can currently working as a Probation Officer.

Thanks for the offer to drive by houses, I may PM you when we get closer to our closing date

Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM

111 posts, read 286,861 times
Hello!
First of all, I wouldn't really agree with the people that told you jobs were so plentiful here. I assume that these people worked in a particular field, such as medical or law enforcement, where there really are opportunities here in the area for. For most other career paths I would be advising you to please have a job before you come here. However, there is a large police/law enforcement presence here in PB/Melb., and I don't think, especially with the experience you and your husband have, will have too hard of a time finding something in your field.
I don't know if you are aware or not, but Melbourne and Palm Bay kind of run into each other. If you didn't try hard to look for signs you'd never know if you were in PB or Melb. The only difference really is that many families live in PB, and they work/shop/services/go out for entertainment,etc, in Melb. PB does have a lower costs of living, but if you can, try to be fairly close to Melb, because you will end up driving there a lot. Very south parts of Palm Bay can take you a half an hour to get to south Melb.I cannot honestly give you much of an opinion for Cocoa Beach because I've only visited there a few times. Cocoa itself is very run down and a bit scary, but Cocoa Beach is much nicer and less crime-ridden.
The Pb/Melb area is pretty nice, with friendly people, and a variety of things to do. It's not an area where there are lots of different shows/theme parks/musicals/etc...to keep you entertained all the time. But if you are the type of family that can go out and find your own fun, such as going to the beach, fishing, spending quality times with friends, going to the park with friends and have a kickball or soccer game/BBQs..etc.. Melb/PB area really is going to be fun! It has a laid back atmosphere, and after having lived in Orlando for a while, was very happy to come back home here and actually meet friendly people again.
The schools aren't very much to brag about. Especially if you are from up north and used to a very good school system. The schools here are so focused on the FCAT - a statewide standardised test, that the student's education suffers greatly from. Having graduated only a few years ago, I remember about 1/3 of all my education being on "how to take the FCAT". It really is something to think about. I personally went to Port Malabar Elementary, which is a good school IMO. Everyone is friendly, and the emphasis is on Learning. Stone Middle school is the opposite. Please try not to make your kids go there if possible. Its looks like a prison, feels like a prison, and has a "I don't care anything about you" attitude like a prison. Palm Bay High was better, but Bayside High and Melbourn High are both a better choice in my opinion. They just opened up a new High school - Heritage High...which is supposed to be real nice, but its so new no one really knows much about it yet. Here is a boundry map of the schools in Brevard County: Schools (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/schools/ - broken link)
Also, your husband finding a temporary job in bartending should be very easy. I forget exactly the statistic, but PB was on the top 10 list of alcohol consuming cities in the US a few yrs back. In fact, I would say its a problem here. That and drugs too. It's sad, but half of everyone I knew in High school did drugs..and I alwayz hung out with a "good" crowd. I don't know everything law enfor. knows in the area, but I would say that drugs and alcohol make up most of the crime-related issues in the area.
As for neighborhoods, stay away from anywhere around University Blvd in Melb, as well as apartments right off Wickham around Sarno and Eau Galie Blvd. Apartments on Lake Washington Rd and north of there off Wickham are a lot nicer. PB itself is pretty safe and there is no particular area I can think of to stay away from. Just look at the indiv apartment ratings.
One thing, if you plan on buying a house someday here, is to make sure you have the roof inspected b4 you commit to a house. A few years back several hurricanes (mild ones), hit the area and tore off a lot of roofs. Roofing companies from out of state came and did very poor/quick jobs on the roofs, and didn't set the roofs up to sustain the high humidity here. My friend just had to replace the roof on the house he just brought. It had came with new shingles on it, but years ago when the roof was being redone, a roofer had just put new shingles on an old/beat up/mildew foundation and bottom. The whole thing had to be redone. It was a nightmare and very costly.
Also, there is a lot of road construction going on in the PB/Melb area. If you can, rent an apartment where there is a lot of construction going on outside the enterance...because sometimes it's possibly to renegotiate a lower rent price!

Take care, and good luck finding a new place!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Default ^^^

Thanks for the very informative reply!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 PM

105 posts, read 262,323 times
So would you say the crime is not bad in palm bay?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,104,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagurl333 View Post
Hello!
First of all, I wouldn't really agree with the people that told you jobs were so plentiful here. I assume that these people worked in a particular field, such as medical or law enforcement, where there really are opportunities here in the area for. For most other career paths I would be advising you to please have a job before you come here. However, there is a large police/law enforcement presence here in PB/Melb., and I don't think, especially with the experience you and your husband have, will have too hard of a time finding something in your field.
I don't know if you are aware or not, but Melbourne and Palm Bay kind of run into each other. If you didn't try hard to look for signs you'd never know if you were in PB or Melb. The only difference really is that many families live in PB, and they work/shop/services/go out for entertainment,etc, in Melb. PB does have a lower costs of living, but if you can, try to be fairly close to Melb, because you will end up driving there a lot. Very south parts of Palm Bay can take you a half an hour to get to south Melb.I cannot honestly give you much of an opinion for Cocoa Beach because I've only visited there a few times. Cocoa itself is very run down and a bit scary, but Cocoa Beach is much nicer and less crime-ridden.
The Pb/Melb area is pretty nice, with friendly people, and a variety of things to do. It's not an area where there are lots of different shows/theme parks/musicals/etc...to keep you entertained all the time. But if you are the type of family that can go out and find your own fun, such as going to the beach, fishing, spending quality times with friends, going to the park with friends and have a kickball or soccer game/BBQs..etc.. Melb/PB area really is going to be fun! It has a laid back atmosphere, and after having lived in Orlando for a while, was very happy to come back home here and actually meet friendly people again.
The schools aren't very much to brag about. Especially if you are from up north and used to a very good school system. The schools here are so focused on the FCAT - a statewide standardised test, that the student's education suffers greatly from. Having graduated only a few years ago, I remember about 1/3 of all my education being on "how to take the FCAT". It really is something to think about. I personally went to Port Malabar Elementary, which is a good school IMO. Everyone is friendly, and the emphasis is on Learning. Stone Middle school is the opposite. Please try not to make your kids go there if possible. Its looks like a prison, feels like a prison, and has a "I don't care anything about you" attitude like a prison. Palm Bay High was better, but Bayside High and Melbourn High are both a better choice in my opinion. They just opened up a new High school - Heritage High...which is supposed to be real nice, but its so new no one really knows much about it yet. Here is a boundry map of the schools in Brevard County: Schools (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/schools/ - broken link)
Also, your husband finding a temporary job in bartending should be very easy. I forget exactly the statistic, but PB was on the top 10 list of alcohol consuming cities in the US a few yrs back. In fact, I would say its a problem here. That and drugs too. It's sad, but half of everyone I knew in High school did drugs..and I alwayz hung out with a "good" crowd. I don't know everything law enfor. knows in the area, but I would say that drugs and alcohol make up most of the crime-related issues in the area.
As for neighborhoods, stay away from anywhere around University Blvd in Melb, as well as apartments right off Wickham around Sarno and Eau Galie Blvd. Apartments on Lake Washington Rd and north of there off Wickham are a lot nicer. PB itself is pretty safe and there is no particular area I can think of to stay away from. Just look at the indiv apartment ratings.
One thing, if you plan on buying a house someday here, is to make sure you have the roof inspected b4 you commit to a house. A few years back several hurricanes (mild ones), hit the area and tore off a lot of roofs. Roofing companies from out of state came and did very poor/quick jobs on the roofs, and didn't set the roofs up to sustain the high humidity here. My friend just had to replace the roof on the house he just brought. It had came with new shingles on it, but years ago when the roof was being redone, a roofer had just put new shingles on an old/beat up/mildew foundation and bottom. The whole thing had to be redone. It was a nightmare and very costly.
Also, there is a lot of road construction going on in the PB/Melb area. If you can, rent an apartment where there is a lot of construction going on outside the enterance...because sometimes it's possibly to renegotiate a lower rent price!

Take care, and good luck finding a new place!
I'm coming back to that area myself. I lived there from 2001-2005. Sounds like it has stayed the same. I was wondering if it had. I never had any problems there, I always liked Melb/PB. Anyone know if Dustins BBQ is still open????

Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Default ^^^

It is! We noticed because that's hubby's name...

Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,104,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
It is! We noticed because that's hubby's name...
YES!!!! Dustins is awesome.... One of the BEST BBQ places in FL.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 19,487 times
can any one give me the low down on which area(palm bay or melbourne) is better realestate tax and utilities wise. i'm selling my home in VA and want to move to brevard or surrounding area. i'm on disabilty, but hope to buy a foreclosure for about 75000 or less, i'll have to redue the kitchen and bath for wheelchair complaince. how much is average electric and water bills. i like to shop at walmart. is it better east or west of int.95? any advice you give will be helpful. i was considering lehigh acres until i read about the crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County