U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:49 AM

27 posts, read 231,046 times

Advertisements

smash is right. Stay away from Sarno Road, South Melbourne and parts of Eau Gallie. I lived on Pineapple close to downtown Eau Gallie and loved it. Beachside is very nice too. Alittle more expensive but very nice towns and schools; Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour and Melbourne Beach. If I could afford it, I would have loved to have a home in Melbourne Beach. Love that area! It's great for families who love beach life.

For welding jobs, you'll find plenty on RT 1. I read in another post on this forum that welding positions in FL make over $20. That's fantastic since the average hourly is $10.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM

33 posts, read 274,808 times
I'm originally from Buffalo but lived in Melbourne for a brief time a couple of years ago. Melbourne is not your tourist-y like destination city.. but having travelled the whole state of Florida at one time or another, I would NOT recommend moving there for a family. The job market is extremely weak, the real estate is soaring, and there are quite a few bad neighborhoods.. also, schools are some of the worst in the State. In my honest opinion, I'd stay away from anywhere on the Space Coast. I'd go more towards Pensacola or Tallahassee.. or maybe Orlando. But uh uh, don't moved to Brevard County.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 AM

I really loved my time in Melbourne but clortho1 is kinda right. Jobs are terrible there. I would have had to go to Orlando to get a decent job and the real estate is outrageous. Where I was living, the landlord was an engineer working for a large corporation in Melbourne and he told me that he couldn't find engineers to move into Melbourne because of the high real estate prices. There are only about 1 or 2 high schools in that area that were safe. The others had alot of crime involved with students. There are a couple of bad areas but also alot of good areas there too to live. If I had to go back to FL, I probably wouldn't move to Brevard Co. I have a brother in Ponte Vedra, which is south of Jacksonville and it's a better area with better schools and real estate prices. It seems there are more families there also and I believe the jobs are not as bad as Brevard.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 90,600 times
Viera and Suntree are the best. Neighborhoods with sidewalks, plenty of shopping, new zoo. Wuestoff Hospital is good place to work. I agree, stay away from Palm Bay. We are selling our house in Malabar, 1.3 acres zoned for horses and animals (we have chickens) if anyone interested then e-mail: irish36@copper.net

Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 PM

149 posts, read 667,675 times
We were just down in Melbourne for the 3rd time in 2 months and I think we are going to pull the trigger. We love the small surf town feel. The public schools in Satellite Beach/Indian Harbour Beach are the best in the state and the economy seems to be humming thanks to Cape Canveral and the technology industry. Compared to South Florida we will be trading off on all the amenities that Broward/Palm Beach counties seem to offer, but will be avoiding all the crime and very poor public schools that they offer as well.

Crime index for Ft Lauderdale is 600 compared to 450 for Melbourne, 230 for Satellite Beach, and 112 for Indian Harbour Beach.

As for the schools go to greatschools.net and look at the FCAT scores between the public schools in S. FL and Brevard in particular Sat Beach/Indian Harbour Beach. You will see a clear difference.

Last edited by kwick release; 06-19-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM

The beach side is very nice...satellite beach, indian harbour beach and melbourne beach, they are all on beachside. It is a nice feeling. I loved it there! Satellite Beach High School is very good. They advertise about jobs with Canaveral and the technology industry but I didn't see that while I was there. I was heavy into technology and I didn't see any jobs that were remotely into technology. The job salaries are not as high as the north but you also are trading in for a better lifestyle in my opinion. I'd rather have a more relaxed and better lifestyle then more money.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwick release View Post
We were just down in Melbourne for the 3rd time in 2 months and I think we are going to pull the trigger. We love the small surf town feel. The public schools in Satellite Beach/Indian Harbour Beach are the best in the state and the economy seems to be humming thanks to Cape Canveral and the technology industry. Compared to South Florida we will be trading off on all the amenities that Broward/Palm Beach counties seem to offer, but will be avoiding all the crime and very poor public schools that they offer as well.

Crime index for Ft Lauderdale is 600 compared to 450 for Melbourne, 230 for Satellite Beach, and 112 for Indian Harbour Beach.

As for the schools go to greatschools.net and look at the FCAT scores between the public schools in S. FL and Brevard in particular Sat Beach/Indian Harbour Beach. You will see a clear difference.
Comparing Melbourne to Ft. Lauderdale is comparing apples to oranges - even in crime. Yeah, they're 3 hours from each other, but damn it if they're not night and day. The Ft. Lauderdale area is much bigger in population and size, and the proximity to Miami doesn't help the city either.

I personally picked up kids from Eau Gallie, which is Melbourne's biggest high school, and having had the opportunity to check out the cafeteria and some classes.. I don't think I've ever seen any school as bad as EG in my entire life. Lots of problems with the students there, and honestly most of the whole school district was bad. The FCAT scores don't mean anything when you consider dropout rates and overall student population in the area. Melbourne isn't a quiet retirement communiy like some might lead you to think.

Really, do yourself a favor.. if you're going to live beachside then go to Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, or like I mentioned earlier Penscaola. Even better, move to metro-Orlando and go to the beach on the weekends.. honestly, it's a smart move.. the home prices in Brevard County are too damned high. Cocoa Beach is an eyesore, too.. Merritt Island is ghetto, and the overall area is being rundown gradually. Most of 192 is trash, and the mall there is a joke.

If you're going to raise a family, do it inland. Central Florida or the Panhandle is where it's at. Take it from a former Melbourneian - people that have only visited on vacation shouldn't even be giving opinions.. try living there as long as I did or anybody else that posts here. It's not it's all cracked up to be.

I mean honestly, do you think somebody who was at the beach for a week is going to see what happens at night in most parts of the whole town? The beach is no more than 1/20 of what the city actually is. It's a big area. Heavy prostitution, really bad drug problems, and general crime plague atleast half of the neighborhoods.. they're running out of room for houses so they're building brand new developments next to really bad and trashy neighrborhoods. So many murders, robberies, and car thefts.. it looks pretty on paper, but it's crap when you try to make it home. Believe me.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM

149 posts, read 667,675 times
"So many murders, robberies, and car thefts"

Muders, Robberies, and Auto Thefts per 100k population in 2005:

Ft Lauderdale (gross population 167K) 8.9 440.3 651.8
Daytona (gross population 64K) 12.1 519.2 1108.1
Orlando (gross population 213K) 10.5 572.5 1131.4
Jacksonville (gross population 783K) 11.4 283.3 620.7
P'cola (gross population 54K) 1.8 159.0 316.2

Melbourne (gross population 77K) 1.3 160.9 280.3
Satellite Beach (gross population 10k) 0 39.8 39.8

The data speaks for itself.

We personally visited the elementary schools in the Satellite Beach area and were impressed. "greatschools.net" gave the Sat Beach highschool a 10 out of 10 rating.

Maybe there are other people that actually currently live in the Satellite Beach area that can chime in?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwick release View Post
"So many murders, robberies, and car thefts"

Muders, Robberies, and Auto Thefts per 100k population in 2005:

Ft Lauderdale (gross population 167K) 8.9 440.3 651.8
Daytona (gross population 64K) 12.1 519.2 1108.1
Orlando (gross population 213K) 10.5 572.5 1131.4
Jacksonville (gross population 783K) 11.4 283.3 620.7
P'cola (gross population 54K) 1.8 159.0 316.2

Melbourne (gross population 77K) 1.3 160.9 280.3
Satellite Beach (gross population 10k) 0 39.8 39.8

The data speaks for itself.

We personally visited the elementary schools in the Satellite Beach area and were impressed. "greatschools.net" gave the Sat Beach highschool a 10 out of 10 rating.

Maybe there are other people that actually currently live in the Satellite Beach area that can chime in?
Your little online stats don't really mean squat until you live there. I see you're packing up and taking the family there, so more power to you, but I know what I read in the papers, what I saw in person, and what other people told me.

Satellite Beach is also NOT MELBOURNE. The man is looking to move to Melbourne, not Satellite Beach. I may not have spent enough time in SB, but like I said I lived in Melbourne and I personally can vouch for the way of living there.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 43,126 times
Kwick Release,

I recently moved to Satellite Beach in December 2006. I moved from Michigan and grew up in the NW Suburbs of Chicago. So far I would say that Satellite Beach is a great spot. I feel very safe there. I have great neighbors and everyone I have met is very friendly. The police there are very strict FYI. make sure you don't speed in Satellite Beach. I myself do not have any kids but I have visited the high school before I moved there and was very impressed. Also, I looked at the average ACT scores for Satellite beach and they were definitely the highest in the area. Overall, I would say that it is a great place to live and I enjoy it a lot. If you have any other questions about the area please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County