U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,518,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwick release View Post
The data speaks for itself.

We personally visited the elementary schools in the Satellite Beach area and were impressed. "greatschools.net" gave the Sat Beach highschool a 10 out of 10 rating.

Maybe there are other people that actually currently live in the Satellite Beach area that can chime in?

I DO Have a question for you though. A while back you were asking about info on Jupiter and Melbourne, and I guess you decided Jupiter was too expensive. While I agree that Ft. Lauderdale and South Florida may not be the best place for good, affordable waterfront family living, but why skip 2 counties altogether?

Have you considered the waterfront areas of Stuart and Sewall's Point? Martin County is part of the "Treasure Coast"... has excellent schools and none of the crime problems of Broward and parts of Palm Beach County....BUT you're a mere drive from the upscale amenities and International airport found in the Palm Beaches (Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens, and PBI)

Just a last minute thought/alternative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 AM

149 posts, read 667,796 times
TriMT7,

Thank you for your response. I do very much like the Stuart area but have not found a job there. I have a great job lined up in the Melbourne area. I really like everything between Jupiter and Melbourne. My Jupiter job offer is lower than my Melbourne one so I think we are going to Melbourne. More specifically we'll be buying a house in Indian Harbour Beach/Satellite Beach/Melbourne Beach areas, but we still have a few months before we start house hunting. However, I do have to commit to the job within the next 4-6wks. It is coming down to the wire...

KR

Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 AM

149 posts, read 667,796 times
ccmpipes,

It is nice to know you are enjoying yourself there in Sat Beach. We may soon be neighbors. FYI, there is a good jazz night every Wednesday at the Crown Plaza on the beach. Check it out if you have not already done so.

KR

Old 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 35,262 times
Hi! I lived in Melbourne for 9 years (left in 1999 for better job opportunities after Harris laid me off....which they do a LOT). I'm single with no kids, but I liked it there a lot. I did a lot of water-related activities while I was there (now I'm in CA where it's too cold to get in the water). If your husband does welding, why don't you check out Patrick Air Force Base in Satellite Beach? You could live anywhere along the beach...Indialantic, Satellite, Eau Gallie etc. Schools are excellent in that area because of all the high tech and engineer families who demand good schools.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 AM

10 posts, read 33,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsgal6 View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving down to Florida and keep coming back to Melbourne. We have young children so good schools are important. Melbourne seems to be up and coming. Just wondering if anyone has any information regarding this area.

I can only say this. I went to visit a friend who lives in Melbourne. He is originally from NY. Wow what a culture shock. I am originally from NJ and I hated it. If your not a redneck you won't fit in.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:54 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,448,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Are there areas outside melbourne you can recommend as well?
And, one more question....what areas in melbourne to stay away from, since all towns/ cities have those "questionable" spots.
Thank's.
University Blvd between US1 and Babcock St is pretty bad. In fact, I wouldn't go into any of the neighborhoods at all, especially at night. If you have to go that way, just stay on the main rd and don't even stop at the convenience store.

Also, a friend of mine used to live off of Americana in Palm Bay and there were ALOT of renters in that area. And it was getting pretty bad as far as parties etc... one drunk guy was walking around trying all the cars to see if they were locked and he even tried to walk right into their house. They moved shortly after, but still sold their house for way more than they paid, because property values were soaring at the time.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,448,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessnsarasota View Post
I can only say this. I went to visit a friend who lives in Melbourne. He is originally from NY. Wow what a culture shock. I am originally from NJ and I hated it. If your not a redneck you won't fit in.
That's not exactly true. With all of the OTHER New Yorkers, you'll definitely find a way to fit in. It depends on what you are looking for. If you want the NYC of FL, than no, I guess Melbourne wouldn't be it.

However, it's a fairly clean, nice quiet, laid back, family living type place. Everything you could need is close by. My only complaint as somone who lived in various parts of Brevard county over the years, is that there isn't any for of RELIABLE or CONVENIENT public transportation. The bus takes FOREVER to get even 20 miles away and there are very few direct buses.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:47 PM

20 posts, read 99,122 times
Stay away from Cocoa unless you are wealthy or poor. There is no in between. Anywhere north of Rockledge in Brevard County, In my opinion; Is not up to snuff. Unless it's East of the river.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM

12 posts, read 46,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
I just moved from Melbourne. Even though I loved it there, I just don't see anything positive happening there until there is affordable housing, property taxes are lowered and the salaries are higher. It is a nice little town and the schools are nice but if I can't comfortable afford to live someswhere with my kids, then I won't live there. Right now, I'm in the process of moving back to TX where it is affordable and a sense of community. Good luck!
Doni,
Where are you going in Texas? And what is good about that? I am considering both states for my next move. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 AM

16 posts, read 57,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash731 View Post
stay away from south Melbourne, anything close to Palm Bay. North Melbourne/Viera are very nice, especially near the water.
what do you mean by stay away from Palm Bay. My wife grand mother and her mother live there, and they never had any complains about it, beside it's a boring area lol.
I am planing on moving down there with my Family from Albany NY.

If you know anything that might help please share with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County