U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:53 AM

9 posts, read 42,811 times

Advertisements

We lived in West Palm Beach for a couple of years. Had some great friends up in Cocoa Beach. I agree with Smash731. Stay away from south Melbourne and you should be fine. If you havent looked at NW Florida...give it some research.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,014 times
We live in Ohio and have a condo in Satellite Beach.

We have never had any problems.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 76,713 times
The Viera are of North Melbourne is great...excellent schools, shopping, nice neighborhoods. Also, check out Rockledge. It is an older community but has some really great neighborhoods.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 AM

27 posts, read 231,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pru22 View Post
Doni,
Where are you going in Texas? And what is good about that? I am considering both states for my next move. Thanks.
Hi Pru,

I will be going back to Kemah, it is right on the Gulf of Mexico, close to Galveston. The area is growing but not too much. It is about 20 miles south of Houston.

If you check out Kemah's weather, it is almost exactly like FL's weather. It's a laid back little shrimping/fishing town with a broadwalk. The schools, cost of living and housing is very good. Housing is very good all around TX though. Even though TX has very inexpensive housing, the property taxes are high. But with everything else being reasonable, I can still live there comfortably.

I have lived in both FL and TX and I prefer TX over FL but that's my personal opinion. I find that TX is a very community spirit type of state were FL is very transit. Also if you like the SW, then TX would be a better fit for you. Kemah is ideal for my kids and myself because we love the beach but love the country/southwestern type of life.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 11,560 times
I've visited Melbourne many times over the years because my family lives there. Melbourne is a beautiful city and great for families. Property valuses have risen significantly in the last few years, so that has influenced the type of people who are moving there. It is a very family-friendly city and most new residents are middle- to upper-class families. The best areas to live on the mainland are north of Sarno Rd. because that is where the city is expanding and that is where the newer subdivisions are. However, I think it is pricey and almost all the developments are controlled by homeowner's associations (that's where all the country clubs and golf courses are, to give you an idea of the area's wealth). Most of beachside is nice, however the area houses are older and I would avoid the area south of Patrick Air Force Base. Beachside houses tend to be more expensive because it's the beach.

One negative thing I noticed about the area is that the newer homes tend to be giant McMansions squeezed together on tiny plots of land. The subdivision my family lives in has huge houses, tiny garages, and almost no yard. There is only three feet of grass between their house and their neighbors' houses, and all the kids wind up playing in the street because of the lack of space. If you are envisioning a sprawling yard for your kids/pets to play in, you might want to look in the south mainland...or be prepared to pay upwards of $600,000.

Since a large proportion of the population are parents with young children, there is not much in the way of night life; most of the city's appeal comes from its proximity to the beach and activities like boating, surfing, fishing hiking, camping, etc. Wickham Park, which is south of where my family lives, offers horseback riding and camping areas, and also has a dog park.

One piece of advice:

BUY A HOUSE WITH A POOL. A lot of people think: "It's so expensive, and we won't miss it anyway." WRONG-O! There is not a lot to do in Melbourne and you will get tired of driving to the beach/park every day. Pools are great boredom-relievers as well as a great way to cool off and give your air conditioner a rest. And most people who buy houses w/o pools wind up putting in their own pool anyway, which costs lots of $$$.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM

12 posts, read 46,023 times
Doni,
Thank you for your reply. I will check out the community you are moving to. I am a birder so being in Texas (or Florida) is really a dream come true for me. My son's career comes first as we are pretty much alone in the world and he is a heavy duty mechanic. Thanks again. Pru

Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM

27 posts, read 231,127 times
Hi Pru,

You will find no problems with your son finding a job as a mechanic. Pasadena is close by and that is an industrial town. There is plenty to do there and that's one of the reasons for me to go back to that small town. The kids and I can walk to restaurants, shopping and activities. The shrimping boats come in right there so we have fresh seafood and there is a farmers market about 5 minutes away.

If you have any other questions about Kemah, please let me know. You can also find a great website on Kemah, just put in Kemah, TX in your search engine.

It's a small town feel but lots to do. During Christmas, they have the boats decorated with lights and they go by the channel while everyone watches. They also have the boardwalk with restaurants, bars and boutiques.

Good luck on your search!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,564 times
I grew up in Brevard County but have also lived in Fort Lauderdale, Daytona Beach, and Jacksonville. I would say Melbourne has the small town feel and is limited in crime due to being surrounded by water. Palm Bay is the area I would avoid. Melbourne has safe spots and places to go that are family friendly, including a dog park. I have lived in bigger cities with huge crime issues, heavy traffic, and too much noise. Just make sure you find a good paying job as Brevard County tends to pay lower in many professions than surrounding counties.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 16,579 times
Default NYer in MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessnsarasota View Post
I can only say this. I went to visit a friend who lives in Melbourne. He is originally from NY. Wow what a culture shock. I am originally from NJ and I hated it. If your not a redneck you won't fit in.
I have been in Melbourne for over three years now after living in NY all my life. (I am in my 50's)

Yes, it is a culture shock..I always joke that I have never seen so many tattoos in my entire life as I did on my first trip to the local WalMart here! (24HR Super WalMart..another big plus!)

...And the people who use the community pool are very inconsiderate about other people, too...they don't seem to have the same sense of decency and social awareness that I was taught. The people are more "real" here...down to earth...they don't put on airs, and they tend to share more personal details than I am used to...The parents also discipline their children differently. (More yelling and spanking, for example)

This state is a big melting pot...I have met so many people from NY, NJ, Connecticut, Michigan, etc. Someone said the nickname for Florida is NY South!

Brevard schools are some of the best in Florida, but they still have a ways to go. The FCAT is a terrible idea. I am grateful that my children were educated in NY. The students get many more services in NY, too... but we also had ridiculously high taxes to pay for it, too!

I love the weather here...it gets hot but there is almost always a breeze.Our aging bodies could not take the bone chilling cold in NY anymore.
You can't beat the weather from November to May...just gorgeous.

The shopping and restaurants are fantastic! In NY I had to travel for a half an hour to find a Mall. There is a wonderful Mall here only five minutes from my house! The beach is beautiful, too, and sure beats the $10 parking fee we had to pay in NY, and then we had to walk a half a mile to access the beach. Just put a couple of your quarters in the meter and step right onto the beach here. There are some parks and small parking areas that border the beach and cost you no money at all! That was incredible to us! There are some very nice (free and open to the public) fishing piers and you can pull over along the causeway and fish to your hearts content. That was a real nice surprise to us. You would be ticketed for doing that in NY, for sure!

My husband and I have a commute of five minutes to our jobs. (We each had 60 mile round trip commutes in NY) The pay is significantly less than NY, but the taxes and utilities, auto insurance, gas prices and real estate is much lower. Food prices were surprisingly high, though, and it was a shock to see the poor quality of the fresh fruits and vegetables! We really expected that it would be great, and it's not.

We have attended many shows at the King Center, (15 minute drive) take regular trips to Orlando to see the attractions there, ( an hour and 15 minute drive) visited the Brevard Zoo, Museum, Art Festivals and Friday Fest in downtown Melbourne, etc. Melbourne was also chosen because there is not a large snowbird population here...The city is well established, stable and has a real nice downtown area, too!

The south Brevard location is excellent. You are only a couple of hours from everywhere! We have traveled all over Florida, and spent time on both coasts, and we are happy with our choice to live in Melbourne and call it "home". It is great for the spirit to see the beautiful birds everywhere, flowers in bloom year round and green grass, swaying palm trees, and lots of sunshine. I sometimes think that the native Floridians take this for granted and don't appreciate what a "jewel" of a town they have here.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are not the same, (it's weird to Christmas shop wearing shorts and sandals!) and we do miss the holiday feeling that we were accustomed to in NY...so that is an adjustment. You lose your sense of holidays here, because the weather is consistently nice year round, so you don't even realize that it is getting close to the holidays!! The change of seasons here is very subtle...for sure! My husband said he never sweat putting up Christmas lights, either!

We can travel easily back and forth to NY to visit family and friends. Southwest Airlines has many daily direct flights out of Orlando. It's about a two and a half hour flight...very convenient. Melbourne Airport is much more expensive so we fly out of Orlando. We get to the Orlando Airport in less than an hour. The airport is very well organized and we get through security very quickly, even when it gets crowded.

A move requires a degree of faith and belief in yourself and your family. We moved to Melbourne with no jobs. A year and a half before the move, we put a down payment on a new townhouse that wasn't even built yet. We only saw a sketch and floor plans. My husband had never set foot in Florida until the day we made the decision to buy the house.

Once we relocated to Melbourne, it took my husband a couple of months to find a half way decent job, and I found one in two weeks. We both found jobs similar to what we had in NY, which was the plan. All things considered it was a good move for us. Our family and friends visit often and love the area, too. A couple of them plan to move here when they are able to do so.

Life is what you make it... but we did the research and made an educated move. We feel this area has a lot to offer. We chose to make this move work and thankfully we feel we made the right choice!

Good luck to you and yours...and may you be happy and healthy wherever you call "home".

Old 12-12-2008, 03:27 PM

12 posts, read 48,831 times
I'd be happy to send info to you on our communities. I'm a local realtor and certainly have ideas! Email me at gailpearson@cfl.rr.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County