U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,172 times

Advertisements

Im really confused! Im moving to the Melbourne Area. Trying to find a nice neighborhood to live in. We have two small children and my husband will be working for a technology company there. Im starting my search for housing and schools. Please let me know what areas to stay away from and what areas to look into. Many thanks.
Moderator cut: Contact via Direct Message

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-13-2010 at 08:26 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 09:00 PM

17 posts, read 52,649 times
Default Melbourne

Did you move to Melbourne and if so, what do you think? I am also planning a move in the next year and wanting to hear ideas from people who have lived elsewhere. I currently live in the Midwest-Indianapolis, to be exact, population close to 1 mil. so it will be a big change. If you are there, can you tell me what they have in regards to art museums, children's museum's, etc.? My kids are school age. Thanks

~Naomi

Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,550 times
Default jncdmove

lookin 2 move 2 melbourn in the next month, need some up 2 date info2010... on schools,family friendly etc.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 PM

28 posts, read 50,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkNan View Post
I have been in Melbourne for over three years now after living in NY all my life. (I am in my 50's)

Yes, it is a culture shock..I always joke that I have never seen so many tattoos in my entire life as I did on my first trip to the local WalMart here! (24HR Super WalMart..another big plus!)

...And the people who use the community pool are very inconsiderate about other people, too...they don't seem to have the same sense of decency and social awareness that I was taught. The people are more "real" here...down to earth...they don't put on airs, and they tend to share more personal details than I am used to...The parents also discipline their children differently. (More yelling and spanking, for example)

This state is a big melting pot...I have met so many people from NY, NJ, Connecticut, Michigan, etc. Someone said the nickname for Florida is NY South!

Brevard schools are some of the best in Florida, but they still have a ways to go. The FCAT is a terrible idea. I am grateful that my children were educated in NY. The students get many more services in NY, too... but we also had ridiculously high taxes to pay for it, too!

Walknan, your post is old, but it is still quite inspiring.

We are a family of 3 about to be upgraded to 4

After living in Mineola, Long Island since 2004 we decided to change to a place with more life quality. The fact that we are technical translators who work from home is another plus. We should retain the same level of income we have here in NY while reducing expenses considerably and improving our living standards.

Any new advice after all these years enjoying Melbourne?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,971,533 times
OUr Friends just left to go home after visiting Melbourne and they wound up in Satelite Beach as well, they are from Brooklyn NY and they felt it wasnt for them...They Ruled out the Melbourne area all together..their next stop might be Jupiter as it has everything they are looking for and will be closer to us as we live in Boca Raton and are from NY/NJ
Good Luck to all of you....We made the move a year ago and love it...

Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM

28 posts, read 50,793 times
Swimmon, have you considered Orlando? Any recommendations for neighborhoods to be checked there? We will be flying to Orlando on Tuesday. We will visit as many places as we can to get a feeling on what would work best for us.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:39 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,971,533 times
We live in Boca Raton (Palm Beach County) and love it...its our friends that were looking...They went to Satellite Beach as someone had mentioned it on another thread and there they really liked...so they might be making another trip...Our friends looked in orlando a few years back and passed on it...they love palm beach area but for his Job it might take them elsewhere so they are doing their homework..

Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 16,593 times
It's been five years now and still loving Melbourne...We had our first apartment in Mineola, NY on Second Street! Like I said...attitude is everything..if you plan for success and happiness, you are more likely to acheive that! Good luck!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,044 times
I'm looking for a cool RV park to park my motorhome and chill while selling use cars closeby...and near a cool beach and bar with desirable 40 something women...I'm going for it....any ideas?

Old 11-30-2014, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,329 times
Yeah, Melbourne does not have horrible crime rates and eau gallie might be the biggest school but if you want a better education you apply to west shore or do the IB programs at Melbourne High or Palm Bay High. For an elementary school I would choose a catholic school (regardless of religion) for the community you will develop. As for crime... Please. There will be good and bad areas to all cities but I lived in Malabar for 14 years and we never locked our front door, then we moved across the street and live in Palm Bay and again.. No need to lock the front door. Obviously if you choose to live next to run down houses, then yes, it probably will be unsafe, but that is definitely NOT most neighborhoods. Now I am in college at USF and this my friends is a scary town. You dont find as much poverty and crime in Melbourne/Palm Bay/Melbourne beach area. I love going back home because it feels safer. The only thing about growing up there is the nightlife is boring (everything except bars are open past 10) so you have to get creative as to how you entertain yourself (alot of bonfires). If you can swing it financially (which it really is not that expensive) try getting a house in Melbourne Beach. The beach is the biggest entertainment there, if not I suggest houses near Dairy Rd in Melbourne or Turkey Creek in Palm Bay (both safe, family neighborhoods). If you like boating and the river get a house on Turkey Creek that leads out to the Indian River! As for elementary schools, i recommend St. Jospehs Catholic School (you will love the community).

In response to the previoud comment about Eau Gallie, yeah that school was always creepy to me and I never knew anyone from Melbourne that went there.. It was just too much of a drive and Mel High is nicer. Just went there for basketball games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County