U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 12,096 times

Advertisements

I have seen plenty of old comments here regarding living in Melbourne, FL, but I would highly appreciate if anyone can share their most recent experience of relocating/living in Melbourne, FL.

I have been a Californian all my life, but things at the professional end got bit shaky since the 2009 recession, and since then I have been moving around for jobs state to state. This time I have a good offer in Melbourne, FL and I am little bit nervous after reading older comments(mostly negative) about all the violent crimes etc.

Being a novice, obviously I would want to know everything about Melbourne, FL, but my key concerns are living with family/children in a decent neighborhood, staying away from all those 'crime zones', and daily drive to/from work (At General Aviation Blvd in Melbourne).

If it helps, we are a couple with a 5 year old child. My office is at General Aviation Drive. Ideally, I would prefer to live close to work, but I read something about high violent crime rates in that area (As much as I am excited about the job, I am somewhat freaking out because of all the negative comments, particularly, when it comes to violent crimes). I don't mind few miles daily drive as long as my family is safe and we stay away from all those crimes/drugs area etc.

We are reserved kind, average income (55-70K/Yr), small Asian family. We have seen and enjoyed all the blessings in this part of the world, with no negative experience anywhere in California. Since we have 5 year old, we just want to make sure she experiences the best of the best. I would love to hear from those who have been living (with their family/kids) in Melbourne for sometime. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:17 AM

593 posts, read 1,239,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_72749 View Post
Being a novice, obviously I would want to know everything about Melbourne, FL, but my key concerns are living with family/children in a decent neighborhood, staying away from all those 'crime zones', and daily drive to/from work (At General Aviation Blvd in Melbourne).
There are a number of large employers at or near the airport, and the location is pretty central. It should be within 30 minutes from pretty much anywhere called "Melbourne."

As for the rest of it, we've been here for a year (in West Melbourne) and I find the Melbourne area to be like most anywhere else. There are some areas you'd probably rather not be, but they're pretty easy to spot. It's still a city, though. Lock your door, lock your cars, don't get mixed up in the drug trade and most of the area will be perfectly fine to live in.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 12,760,741 times
Quote:
I have seen plenty of old comments here regarding living in Melbourne, FL, but I would highly appreciate if anyone can share their most recent experience of relocating/living in Melbourne, FL.

I have been a Californian all my life, but things at the professional end got bit shaky since the 2009 recession, and since then I have been moving around for jobs state to state. This time I have a good offer in Melbourne, FL and I am little bit nervous after reading older comments(mostly negative) about all the violent crimes etc.

If it helps, we are a couple with a 5 year old child. My office is at General Aviation Drive. Ideally, I would prefer to live close to work, but I read something about high violent crime rates in that area (As much as I am excited about the job, I am somewhat freaking out because of all the negative comments, particularly, when it comes to violent crimes). I don't mind few miles daily drive as long as my family is safe and we stay away from all those crimes/drugs area etc.

We are reserved kind, average income (55-70K/Yr), small Asian family. We have seen and enjoyed all the blessings in this part of the world, with no negative experience anywhere in California. Since we have 5 year old, we just want to make sure she experiences the best of the best. I would love to hear from those who have been living (with their family/kids) in Melbourne for sometime. Thank you.
Brevard in general has good schools in FL, being a top 10 county in the state for overall school rankings. Safe areas to stick to are beachside areas, west melbourne, and Viera.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Thank you so much 'Ex Islander' and 'chopchop0'. Your input and advice is very much appreciated.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,483,561 times
Quote:

Yea you will be fine its not that bad I use to travel there all the time and never had any issues. Just a little busy with traffic and that's it.

P.S. Welcome to Florida

Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Thank you 'Fl1150'. Since you mentioned about the traffic, do you happen to know how is the drive from Orlando (MCO) airport to Melbourne (All those aviation drive areas)? I have never driven anywhere in FL and just hoping that freeways (FL528/I-95) are not as crazily busy as in CA. Would appreciate any driving tips as my job would involve driving around a lot. Thanks

Old 12-02-2014, 07:21 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,219,403 times
About an hour, give or take. Roads for the most part not congested most of the time. Nothing like CA or NY for that matter.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,483,561 times
Quote:
Thank you 'Fl1150'. Since you mentioned about the traffic, do you happen to know how is the drive from Orlando (MCO) airport to Melbourne (All those aviation drive areas)? I have never driven anywhere in FL and just hoping that freeways (FL528/I-95) are not as crazily busy as in CA. Would appreciate any driving tips as my job would involve driving around a lot. Thanks
Not particularly around 95 close to Brevard County but once you get to Orlando it does get busier which is expected because its a city. I was talking about the local roads in Brevard county because coming from a county with a smaller population I see a huge shift in traffic. About a half million people live in Brevard so you can tell by driving around some areas.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:53 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,219,403 times
It's funny how traffic is so relative to what you are accustom to. My 20 mile daily commute to my office in eastern long Island takes between 45-75 minutes a day. My usual ride home from the field in Brooklyn to western Long Island can take 1.5 - 2 hours, going about the same or even shorter distances during the rush. When I am in Brevard, I laugh when I hear people complain it took an extra 5 minutes to get over a causeway in the morning. Coming from a big city with 8 million people, it just seems so much easier to get around quickly in Florida from my perspective. Perhaps that will change when we eventually make the move down there.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:05 PM

Nypafl4u & Fl1150, thanks a lot. That makes me feel much more comfortable with the relocation move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County