Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 17,739 times

Advertisements

There is a good chance of being offered a management postion at a hotel in cocoa beach florida. I am born and raised in a town called wooddale IL which is a small town outside of chicago. I know there is a big difrence in climite I have been there on vacation during even summer time but that is vacation. I am asking if anyone can give me some feed back on if cocoabeach is a place to raise a family. thanks grossi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 PM

109 posts, read 438,680 times
I do not know the area in which you are moving but have been in Boca, Del Ray, Vero Beach and Sebastian. The major issue is not as much the location as the change in lifestyle. I lived in the Suburbs of Chicago and graduated from Hinsdale Central. I know Downers Grove, Westmont, Lombard, Lisle, La Grange, etc. There is one heck of differance in lifestyle that needs to be addressed. Climate is not as big an issue as some make it. Sure we enjoy the seasonal changes but we suffer through the long winters, as I always said to people we are not animals up north, our women have fur coats and fireplaces, in the south you have light pastels and air condtioning, it all works out. It is a change for sure, As a northern person, I would never think of not wearing socks, in Florida, nobody does. You dress more casuallly and life is a little more laid back I took to it like a duck takes to water and the heat never was an issue and believe me I sweat!!! You have to make some trade offs if you are an Autumn fan as you will"unless in northern Florida" not see a seasonal change, the little Norfolk Pines you have as decorations in your home will grow 40" in your front yard, you will have to live with certain bugs but no worse than knats, you don't go looking for a lost golf ball in the brush and an evening walk is great. There are a lot of pluses and a few minuses. I guess it will depend on how your family deals with it and if the cultural change works for you. The best thing is if you had achance to visit the area at differant times of the year, get a feel for the whole experience. The kids are pretty adaptable and will find their nitch, make sure you can handle it.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 AM

3,973 posts, read 8,117,869 times
From Kankakee area of Illinois and spent lots of time in the suburbs and city , moved her 34 years ago and have not regretted living in this area one bit.

There are some things I miss but I get them when I go see family up that way. Italian beef sandwiches, fried pork tenderloin sandwiches, the off Broadway plays and clubs, the pizza just to name a few things; but everything here replaces it very well. LOL Personally I love the laid back, don't have to wear dressy clothes and panty hose way of life. I love the beauty and wonder of the state and don't miss the cornfields and snow of Illinois at all.

Cocoa Beach has some good schools and being a teacher in Illinois and down here, I listen to the stories about how far behind our schools are. Never found the schools here in Brevard to be that way at all. I guess it depends on the parents attitude about school alot. Get involved and the kids can compete against kids from almost anywhere. Check out the math and Oddyssey of the Mind competitions and you will see teams from Brevard County at the National level almost every year. Check out the Ivy league and Airforce, Navy, and Army colleges where you need sponsorship to get in and you will see kids from this area. My guys graduated with honors and were accepted at several out of state colleges; but chose to use the great scholarships they got here in the state. Comparing them to the education their cousins got in Illinois they were probably equal or better prepared for college.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,732,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossi View Post
There is a good chance of being offered a management postion at a hotel in cocoa beach florida. I am born and raised in a town called wooddale IL which is a small town outside of chicago. I know there is a big difrence in climite I have been there on vacation during even summer time but that is vacation. I am asking if anyone can give me some feed back on if cocoabeach is a place to raise a family. thanks grossi
Unless the job sucks I have a feeling you will think you are on a full time vacation. Life is an adventure, unless there are some other personal extenuating circumstances, I would take it. Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. One side plus one side minus and see what you come up with.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Default Thank you for your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
I do not know the area in which you are moving but have been in Boca, Del Ray, Vero Beach and Sebastian. The major issue is not as much the location as the change in lifestyle. I lived in the Suburbs of Chicago and graduated from Hinsdale Central. I know Downers Grove, Westmont, Lombard, Lisle, La Grange, etc. There is one heck of differance in lifestyle that needs to be addressed. Climate is not as big an issue as some make it. Sure we enjoy the seasonal changes but we suffer through the long winters, as I always said to people we are not animals up north, our women have fur coats and fireplaces, in the south you have light pastels and air condtioning, it all works out. It is a change for sure, As a northern person, I would never think of not wearing socks, in Florida, nobody does. You dress more casuallly and life is a little more laid back I took to it like a duck takes to water and the heat never was an issue and believe me I sweat!!! You have to make some trade offs if you are an Autumn fan as you will"unless in northern Florida" not see a seasonal change, the little Norfolk Pines you have as decorations in your home will grow 40" in your front yard, you will have to live with certain bugs but no worse than knats, you don't go looking for a lost golf ball in the brush and an evening walk is great. There are a lot of pluses and a few minuses. I guess it will depend on how your family deals with it and if the cultural change works for you. The best thing is if you had achance to visit the area at differant times of the year, get a feel for the whole experience. The kids are pretty adaptable and will find their nitch, make sure you can handle it.
Thanks for the informantion you gave me I live in glendale heights right now

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Thank you for the info and your thoughts. This will help put my wife and I at ease

Grossi

Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks alot I will take your advise with drawing the line
Grossi

Old 06-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Thank you very much for you thoughts
Grossi

Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM

110 posts, read 548,976 times
Default Cocoa Beach has good schools, beautiful beaches & many charms

Grossi,

I live in Frankfort, Illinois and have raised my family there. I love the Chicago area but winter weather here leaves a lot to be desired. In order to maintain a more active healthy lifestyle, we plan to be snowbirds in about 13 years when I retire. We purchased a condo in Cocoa Beach 2 years ago. I looked all over Florida and if you wish to be on a beach or barrier island, there are bargains to be had there. As others have pointed out, the school system is excellent and highly rated nationally. I am an Atlantic Ocean guy. I love the sound of the waves as I drift off to sleep and the sun rising over the ocean and streaming into our place when I wake up. I suspect there are few places in Florida that offer the same value. Watching rocket launches from the balcony is still a thrill. The Thousand Islands are a tranquil break away from a hectic life. Orlando is close enough to take advantage of many entertainment opportunities. Port Canaveral provides a convenient location to cruise from if you are so inclined. Like all beach towns there is an ebb and flow to the crowds depending on the season. Being a small town, cultural opportunities will be dramatically less than in Chicago. The restaurant scene still needs some improvement. If you are looking for a laid back beach lifestyle at reasonable price, Cocoa Beach is a fine choice. Hope that helps.

Kevin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County