U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,104,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Nope.. the repaired areas are pretty obvious. The material that was dated was taken from the original cloth.
You err
Rate this post positively

Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
You're assuming that the only purpose that someone could have for owning a Buddha statue is to give worship to it. This is observably false. There are many Buddhists that don't worship Buddha statues and there are many non Buddhists who have Buddha statues, but don't worship them. A Buddha statue has as much significance as an individual wishes to put on it. The fact that someone owns one doesn't mean they worship it. Just like you don't worship a cross, most folk who own Buddha statues don't even consider worshipping them.
They can have all they want of them. But the OP asks if it is OK with God for a Christian to have one.
It is not OK for a real Christian to have one in their possession, because of the demons associated with that religion. One who just calls themselves a christian, on the other hand, who does lip service and not heart service to Jesus Christ, and who has no allegiance to Jesus Christ as the Only God come in flesh, can still do as they wish.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 PM

24,626 posts, read 26,943,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
They can have all they want of them. But the OP asks if it is OK with God for a Christian to have one.
It is not OK for a real Christian to have one in their possession, because of the demons associated with that religion.
Demons associated with buddhism? Do tell. Seriously, do tell.
Buddhism is not considered a religion because there.is.no.god.thing.
Anyone can be a buddha. Buddha simply means enlightened.

You're off on your Shroud of Turin information as well.

Quote:
No, a repair on it after a fire damage dated back to the middle ages -their mistake. You are not up on the news -which is old news. It dates back to the time of Christ and from the middle east, as plant pollen parts embedded in it grow only in that area.
Might want to take a gander at this, it refutes your data.

A Skeptical Response to Ray Rogers on the Shroud of Turin

A Skeptical Response to Studies on the Radiocarbon Sample from the Shroud of Turin
By Steven D. Schafersman

Introduction: An Exercise in Pseudoscience

Ray Rogers, a retired chemist who formerly worked at the Los Alamos national laboratory, recently published a pro-authenticity Shroud of Turin paper in a legitimate and peer-reviewed chemistry journal, Thermochimica Acta (hereafter TA). The Rogers paper makes two claims: First, the piece of the Shroud linen that was age-dated using radiocarbon technology in 1988 was actually a much-younger patch of cloth that allowed the radiocarbon labs to reach an incorrect medieval date. Second, using his own age-dating method, Rogers claims that the Shroud is actually much older than the early 14th century radiocarbon date. This paper has created a minor media frenzy, since it is the first pro-authenticity Shroud paper published in a legitimate scientific journal in about two decades. For this reason, and quite understandably, observers perceive that Rogers' paper must be exceptionally reliable. Unfortunately, these observers would be wrong. This response examines the scientific issues and elucidates the reasons why the Rogers paper fails in its claims in every instance.

The article later continues:

Ray Rogers is a member of STURP (Shroud of Turin Research Project, an organization totally composed of believers in the authenticity of the Shroud) and accepted the authenticity of the Shroud from the very beginning of their work in the middle 1970s. He accepts all the shoddy work that STURP passed off as science two and three decades ago. As is well known, STURP's analyses on image formation, identity of the blood, sticky tape pollen, and history were hopelessly incompetent and unscientific, despite their claims and posturing to be rigorously scientific.

Much more at link.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,015,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Hey buddy, don't mess with Jesus. He can kick your ass.
He would have to real before he could kick anything.
Sorry you got your boat, and plus sign mixed up. You might be able to sort it out with carbon dating.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,173,145 times
Quote:
You err
And you STILL haven't answered my question. I ask you for the third time:

Do you believe that Michaelangelo's David is idolatrous?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,653,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been wondering who to ask about this. As a christian, is it offensive to God to have a buddha statue out in my garden? Is it offensive to buddhists?
I'm asking because I saw a big happy buddha statue which looks very joyful, and I'd buy it except for my questions about it being appropriate.
Depends on your attitude toward it.

If you like it because of its beauty...fine. If you think of it as some sort of good luck charm, it's wrong...assuming that you're in a vacuum and nobody else would see it.

That said, a buddha statue in the garden could certainly be taken as some sort of endorsement of the religion. I'd personally not do it because I wouldn't want anyone to think I thought of buddhism as a valid religion.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 PM

24,626 posts, read 26,943,153 times
I'm atheist and had a garden Mary in my garden for years.
It's cultural in the area where I was raised.
Ain't no big thing.

Buddha is not a god and there is no sky-daddy in buddhism.
You can be a christer or a jew or any other religion and a buddhist, too.
It's just a philosophy; it's not in opposition to anything one might learn elsewhere.

It's you who puts power on any item; not the item.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 PM

4,634 posts, read 5,624,722 times
Quote:
It is not OK for a real Christian to have one in their possession, because of the demons associated with that religion. One who just calls themselves a christian, on the other hand, who does lip service and not heart service to Jesus Christ, and who has no allegiance to Jesus Christ as the Only God come in flesh, can still do as they wish.
Oh sweet Moses. You think Buddhism is demonic? What demons do you think are associated with Buddhism? Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, James Dobson or Nedd Kareiva? Those are of the Christian flock.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 08-06-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 07:23 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,392,182 times
Yes, Buddhism is demonic, so it has spiritual significance whether I think it does or not. It is what it is. And, no, it would not be in my garden.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme
Quote:
agnostic soldier Oh sweet Moses. You think Buddhism is demonic? What demons do you think are associated with Buddhism? Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, James Dobson or Nedd Kareiva? Those are of the Christian flock.
Psa 135:13-18
Your name, O LORD, endures forever,
Your fame, O LORD, throughout all generations.
For the LORD will judge His people,
And He will have compassion on His servants.

The idols of the nations are silver and gold,
The work of men's hands.

They have mouths, but they do not speak;
Eyes they have, but they do not see;

They have ears, but they do not hear;
Nor is there any breath in their mouths.
Those who make them are like them;
So is everyone who trusts in them.

Isa 44:9 They that make a graven image [are] all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they [are] their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed.

Demons seduce men into making idols for false worship. People who use the idols give themselves over to a curse. The idol itself is not a god, but the demons who seduce men to make idols have evil power over those who give themselves to them.
"They have eyes, but they see not; they have ears, but hear not, and those who make them are like them".

the origin of demons is in Enoch.
Quote:
[Chapter 15]
1 And He answered and said to me, and I heard His voice: 'Fear not, Enoch, thou righteous 2 man and scribe of righteousness: approach hither and hear my voice. And go, say to the Watchers of heaven, who have sent thee to intercede for them: "You should intercede" for men, and not men 3 for you: Wherefore have ye left the high, holy, and eternal heaven, and lain with women, and defiled yourselves with the daughters of men and taken to yourselves wives, and done like the children 4 of earth, and begotten giants (as your) sons? And though ye were holy, spiritual, living the eternal life, you have defiled yourselves with the blood of women, and have begotten (children) with the blood of flesh, and, as the children of men, have lusted after flesh and blood as those also do who die 5 and perish. Therefore have I given them wives also that they might impregnate them, and beget 6 children by them, that thus nothing might be wanting to them on earth. But you were formerly 7 spiritual, living the eternal life, and immortal for all generations of the world. And therefore I have not appointed wives for you; for as for the spiritual ones of the heaven, in heaven is their dwelling. 8 And now, the giants, who are produced from the spirits and flesh, shall be called evil spirits upon 9 the earth, and on the earth shall be their dwelling. Evil spirits have proceeded from their bodies; because they are born from men and from the holy Watchers is their beginning and primal origin; 10 they shall be evil spirits on earth, and evil spirits shall they be called. [As for the spirits of heaven, in heaven shall be their dwelling, but as for the spirits of the earth which were born upon the earth, on the earth shall be their dwelling.] And the spirits of the giants afflict, oppress, destroy, attack, do battle, and work destruction on the earth, and cause trouble: they take no food, but nevertheless 12 hunger and thirst, and cause offences. And these spirits shall rise up against the children of men and against the women, because they have proceeded from them.
[Chapter 16] 1 Enoch

1 From the days of the slaughter and destruction and death of the giants, from the souls of whose flesh the spirits, having gone forth, shall destroy without incurring judgement -thus shall they destroy until the day of the consummation, the great judgement in which the age shall be 2 consummated, over the Watchers and the godless, yea, shall be wholly consummated." And now as to the watchers who have sent thee to intercede for them, who had been aforetime in heaven, (say 3 to them): "You have been in heaven, but all the mysteries had not yet been revealed to you, and you knew worthless ones, and these in the hardness of your hearts you have made known to the women, and through these mysteries women and men work much evil on earth." 4 Say to them therefore: " You have no peace."'

[Chapter 19]
1 And Uriel said to me: 'Here shall stand the angels who have connected themselves with women, and their spirits [their offspring, disembodied] assuming many different forms are defiling mankind and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as gods,

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 08-06-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism