U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 AM

13 posts, read 50,520 times

Advertisements

Its just a statue! sounds nice!!
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2007, 11:16 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,422,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Just my personal opinion, but it wouldn't be in my yard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It wouldn't be in mine either.
It wouldn't be in mine, but not because I think God would care just because it reminds a bit too much of my former body. But would you guys not want it in yours because it represents a religion other than your own and you think that is wrong or just because you don't like it? Not starting anything just wondering. I always think if something feels wrong to you then it's best to trust your instinct and stay away from it.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:22 AM

8,672 posts, read 21,359,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
It wouldn't be in mine, but not because I think God would care just because it reminds a bit too much of my former body. But would you guys not want it in yours because it represents a religion other than your own and you think that is wrong or just because you don't like it? Not starting anything just wondering. I always think if something feels wrong to you then it's best to trust your instinct and stay away from it.
No, it would be because as you said it represents a religion that is not Christianity.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM

356 posts, read 1,089,551 times
It represents different things in different sects of Buddhism. For the laughing Buddha I think a theme through all sects is one of contentment and serving the weak and poor (thus the sack if your Buddha has one). Not a bad message.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:58 PM

22,508 posts, read 32,393,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I agree with kaykay, and for me as a Christian I feel it would be wrong.

Hey why don't you post a picture of your buddha body and let us decide

Old 08-31-2007, 03:06 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,950,930 times
In the new testament Paul talks of food offered to idols, etc, as not really meaning anything to him. However, he wouldn't eat it if it would offend a brother. Some of these things are like that... really, they are nothing but a block of concrete, etc, and maybe to us mean nothing other than a decorative piece, but what will my neighbor think, knowing I am a Christian? Someone may read a deeper meaning in this than we do.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:10 PM

564 posts, read 1,813,978 times
Depending on the person, their interpretation of your Buddha statue will vary greatly.

I would personally see it as you showing your openness to others' beliefs and that you're willing to show that without fear.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:20 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,067,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been wondering who to ask about this. As a christian, is it offensive to God to have a buddha statue out in my garden?
I don't understand what you mean by "offensive to God." I don't think of God as offendable. You aren't worshiping it, so it doesn't seem like a sin.

Quote:
Is it offensive to buddhists?
I don't think so. My understanding is that Buddhists don't take offense at anything, because to do so doesn't follow Buddhist teachings. I'm not an expert, though.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:21 PM

22,508 posts, read 32,393,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
In the new testament Paul talks of food offered to idols, etc, as not really meaning anything to him. However, he wouldn't eat it if it would offend a brother. Some of these things are like that... really, they are nothing but a block of concrete, etc, and maybe to us mean nothing other than a decorative piece, but what will my neighbor think, knowing I am a Christian? Someone may read a deeper meaning in this than we do.
Very good point!! I'm glad you brought that up.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:46 PM

659 posts, read 1,324,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It wouldn't be in mine either.
How strange that we cannot tolerate a statue unless it carries the sanction and blessing of our particular belief.

How would you reassure a Buddist who asked similar questions about a statue of Christ in their garden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.