U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 PM

22,518 posts, read 32,437,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
How strange that we cannot tolerate a statue unless it carries the sanction and blessing of our particular belief.

How would you reassure a Buddist who asked similar questions about a statue of Christ in their garden?
I say if you want one fine, it's your business, I personally do not want one. In fact I don't want any statue in my back yard.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,157,803 times
I always heard that if you kept a statue of buddha and rubbed his belly it brought good luck

Old 08-31-2007, 05:10 PM

659 posts, read 1,325,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I say if you want one fine, it's your business, I personally do not want one. In fact I don't want any statue in my back yard.
You are quite within your rights to put it that way I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA and as an atheist I would have any statue if I considered it to have a pleasing artistic quality. This approach I do not consider to be disrespectful but quite the contrary. I was hoping someone would have answered my question in the second paragraph because the important aspect of how religious people would react is of interest.

"How would you reassure a Buddist who asked similar questions about a statue of Christ in their garden?"

Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,059,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I always heard that if you kept a statue of buddha and rubbed his belly it brought good luck
You know it's just not true. My aunt lived in Hawaii and she gave my mom a Buddha statue it was only about 15" high and it always ended up in a corner with dust on it. My sister and I would rub it's belly and ask for all kinds of things and they NEVER happened.
Maybe we were rubbing him the wrong way!!

My son now has him and we have told him the joke and have explained to him the religious side and he learned of the religion in school and now he collects dust in my sons room. My only opinion would be if I saw it in your yard I would probably assume you were BUDDHISTS. He does look like a happy soul and like others have said as long as you are not on your knees praying to him.
As a Christian not because I don't respect other faiths I feel this is a religious idol that is not something I would display for all to see that this might represent me. I don't even display the "Moon & Stars" and those seem to be the "HOT" symbols from Tattoos to wall hangings.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:40 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,872,465 times
I struggled with this question for myself also. I thought about getting one because to me they promote peace and harmony but, a buddha is a symbol of worship, so I think yes God would definately have a problem with it as we are to only worship God. I don't think it matters if we're worshipping it or not, just by having it in the home and what it portrays to others is enough to undermine God. I personally didn't find it in my heart to be the right thing to do, hope this helps you.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM

2,743 posts, read 8,413,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been wondering who to ask about this. As a christian, is it offensive to God to have a buddha statue out in my garden? Is it offensive to buddhists?
I'm asking because I saw a big happy buddha statue which looks very joyful, and I'd buy it except for my questions about it being appropriate.
Envision Jesus standing at your side, as the two of you look at your garden. Then ask yourself that question...
Me? I'd just feel uncomfortable with a Buddha in my garden. I'd probably go with a scarecrow instead....I haven't heard of those being offensive...except possibly to crows...

Bud

Old 08-31-2007, 05:49 PM

11,135 posts, read 13,468,669 times
I think it might be worth a few moments to just ask yourselves who Buddha was and or what Buddhism is. Although I am not Buddhist, I have several dear friends who are and I have inquired a great deal about it to better understand what it is they believe.

Was the Buddha a God?

He was not, nor did he claim to be. He was a man who taught a path to enlightenment from his own experience.

Do Buddhists Worship Idols?

Buddhists sometimes pay respect to images of the Buddha, not in worship, nor to ask for favours. A statue of the Buddha with hands rested gently in its lap and a compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. Bowing to the statue is an expression of gratitude for the teaching.

Are Other Religions Wrong?

Buddhism is also a belief system which is tolerant of all other beliefs or religions. Buddhism agrees with the moral teachings of other religions but Buddhism goes further by providing a long term purpose within our existence, through wisdom and true understanding. Real Buddhism is very tolerant and not concerned with labels like 'Christian', 'Moslem', 'Hindu' or 'Buddhist'; that is why there have never been any wars fought in the name of Buddhism. That is why Buddhists do not preach and try to convert, only explain if an explanation is sought.

for more information feel free to read further.

A Basic Buddhism Guide: 5 Minute Introduction

Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 PM

22,518 posts, read 32,437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
I struggled with this question for myself also. I thought about getting one because to me they promote peace and harmony but, a buddha is a symbol of worship, so I think yes God would definately have a problem with it as we are to only worship God. I don't think it matters if we're worshipping it or not, just by having it in the home and what it portrays to others is enough to undermine God. I personally didn't find it in my heart to be the right thing to do, hope this helps you.
I agree. I want everything I do to bring glory and honor to God and I don't think a statue of buddha would do that.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 PM

448 posts, read 1,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I don't know what the significance of the statue is to Buddhists so I can't answer for that. But I think as a Christian is depends on what the significance of the statue is for you. If you are worshiping it then I would have to say that is wrong and offensive to God. If you just think it looks happy and appreciate it as a piece of art then I doubt God would find that offensive.
Buddha is not a god. Buddha is a person like Jesus Christ. I don't see any thing wrong with having a statue of Budha in a front yard. God will not judge you for having it. As long as your beliefs are true to you and God, then you have nothing to worry about. I am a buddhits, catholic and spiritual person. I belief on all sort of things that make mankind better.
I have several statues of Buddha in my house, I also have crucifixes on my walls and I worship my ancestors as much as I worship God. If you want the Buddha in your front lawn, have it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 13,468,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Earniefan, Well Buddha is not a symbol of worship, nor did Buddha claim to be a god and those who follow Buddhism do not see him in such a manner. Buddha was a teacher, thats all, just a wise man, nothing more. The main premise of Buddhism is to seek self spiritual enlightenment, not to worship Buddha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.