U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,428,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hey why don't you post a picture of your buddha body and let us decide
ROFL!!!!!!

I said FORMER body...former is the key word...LOL I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard when I saw your comment...good one!
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 PM

22,516 posts, read 32,429,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
ROFL!!!!!!

I said FORMER body...former is the key word...LOL I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard when I saw your comment...good one!
Sorry, I guess former is a very important word here

Old 08-31-2007, 10:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,389,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Envision Jesus standing at your side, as the two of you look at your garden. Then ask yourself that question...
I don't know. I always figured God must have a heck of a sense of humor, (ever take a look at the platypus?). I don't think Jesus would fall over in a dead faint, or start throwing lighting bolts. I've seen those type of Buddha statues, and I think they are funny. Very jolly-looking. I suspect it would make Jesus smile, maybe even chuckle. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, I suppose I could be the wrong person to ask, seeing as how I have a number of kachina dolls, dreamcatchers, etc. I also read/watch Harry Potter, The DaVinci Code, and whatever else is liable to make alot of other folks wig out!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:26 PM

219 posts, read 696,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been wondering who to ask about this. As a christian, is it offensive to God to have a buddha statue out in my garden? Is it offensive to buddhists?
I'm asking because I saw a big happy buddha statue which looks very joyful, and I'd buy it except for my questions about it being appropriate.
Your garden, your yard - you can put whatever you want in it. Just as other people can whatever statues they want in their yard.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 PM

11,135 posts, read 13,466,954 times
If I feared to offend my God by having a statue of a peaceful teacher in my home or yard, I would question the strength of my own faith.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 AM

32,869 posts, read 19,176,089 times
When people see me in my yard with my shirt off they think I am a buddha statue. Maybe thats why they burn rubber, actually spraying gravel, trying to get away from me.

Personally, I fail to see why anyone in their right mind would think a statue of Buddha in the garden would be offensive to god. But that's just me and my understanding of buddha and god. To each his own interpretation, I guess.

Got any incense to go with it? Let's really freak people out!

Repeat after me... oooOOOHMMMMMMMM

OMG, Mildred, they're worshipping buddha right next to the tomato plants!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 AM

8,672 posts, read 21,374,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
When people see me in my yard with my shirt off they think I am a buddha statue. Maybe thats why they burn rubber, actually spraying gravel, trying to get away from me.

Personally, I fail to see why anyone in their right mind would think a statue of Buddha in the garden would be offensive to god. But that's just me and my understanding of buddha and god. To each his own interpretation, I guess.

Got any incense to go with it? Let's really freak people out!

Repeat after me... oooOOOHMMMMMMMM

OMG, Mildred, they're worshipping buddha right next to the tomato plants!!!
redbird, are you a male??? I always thought you were a woman! From above post, I think not!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:48 AM

4,663 posts, read 7,870,908 times
Its absolutely fine, Christian or not. Buddhist statues are not a God to be worshipped. The mere act of worshiping it would be against the teaching of Buddhism in the first place. It is just a symbol of the Buddha that lived thousands of years ago. It would not interfere with your worshiping the Christian God.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,891,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I don't know. I always figured God must have a heck of a sense of humor, (ever take a look at the platypus?). I don't think Jesus would fall over in a dead faint, or start throwing lighting bolts. I've seen those type of Buddha statues, and I think they are funny. Very jolly-looking. I suspect it would make Jesus smile, maybe even chuckle. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, I suppose I could be the wrong person to ask, seeing as how I have a number of kachina dolls, dreamcatchers, etc. I also read/watch Harry Potter, The DaVinci Code, and whatever else is liable to make alot of other folks wig out!
LMBO @ the bolded part.

Hmmm...Buddha statue in my house? Well, I don't have one and I'm not rushing out to get one. I don't think I would do so in my own home, but I do understand the fact that Buddha is not a figure to be worshiped, so you can't technically consider him an idol IMO. Still, he could easily become an idol of the heart, and additionally, as a Christian I feel I shouldn't send any confusing messages, even if I would understand in my heart and mind that it meant nothing but decoration to me.

My in laws have a Buddha statue, and they are Christians--well, my mom-in-law is, my father in law is good guy but not into religion in general, but does believe in God. They don't have it out, though...think it was a gift to FIL as a joke referencing his "Buddha belly". LOL It's in the hall closet, grinning at you like an Eastern Santa Clause as you get a towel out.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:00 AM

29,044 posts, read 48,627,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I don't know what the significance of the statue is to Buddhists so I can't answer for that. But I think as a Christian is depends on what the significance of the statue is for you. If you are worshiping it then I would have to say that is wrong and offensive to God. If you just think it looks happy and appreciate it as a piece of art then I doubt God would find that offensive.
I would also agree with that... as a Jew, we're taught not to worship false idols, but it says nothing about decorating with them. I live in a heavily Chinese neighborhood, and have picked up some Buddhist & Eastern-cultural stuff for myself. Hopefully it doesn't offend anyone who follows those religions, but so far I've never heard anything negative - in fact, they usually love when I wear my jade necklaces! But I would be interested to hear their opinion, since I might have a problem with people using Jewish symbols that way... depends on exactly what & where it is (a mezuzah, for instance, would be inappropriate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.