U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,593,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I would also agree with that... as a Jew, we're taught not to worship false idols, but it says nothing about decorating with them. I live in a heavily Chinese neighborhood, and have picked up some Buddhist & Eastern-cultural stuff for myself. Hopefully it doesn't offend anyone who follows those religions, but so far I've never heard anything negative - in fact, they usually love when I wear my jade necklaces! But I would be interested to hear their opinion, since I might have a problem with people using Jewish symbols that way... depends on exactly what & where it is (a mezuzah, for instance, would be inappropriate).

I think that Gizmo brings up a very good point. Would be be offending a Buddhist by placing a statue of Buddha in our garden? I think that God would look to your heart and your motive. As others have said, if you are worshipping the statue, then this would be a sin. If you just think that it is cute, I don't think that this would be an offense to God. However, Gizmo made me wonder how I would feel if an atheist placed a crucifix in their home. I guess again, I would have to look to their heart and their intension.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2007, 09:23 AM

7,899 posts, read 11,451,502 times
Default Think: Contemplative nature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I think it might be worth a few moments to just ask yourselves who Buddha was and or what Buddhism is. Although I am not Buddhist, I have several dear friends who are and I have inquired a great deal about it to better understand what it is they believe.

Was the Buddha a God?

He was not, nor did he claim to be. He was a man who taught a path to enlightenment from his own experience.

Do Buddhists Worship Idols?

Buddhists sometimes pay respect to images of the Buddha, not in worship, nor to ask for favours. A statue of the Buddha with hands rested gently in its lap and a compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. Bowing to the statue is an expression of gratitude for the teaching.

Are Other Religions Wrong?

Buddhism is also a belief system which is tolerant of all other beliefs or religions. Buddhism agrees with the moral teachings of other religions but Buddhism goes further by providing a long term purpose within our existence, through wisdom and true understanding. Real Buddhism is very tolerant and not concerned with labels like 'Christian', 'Moslem', 'Hindu' or 'Buddhist'; that is why there have never been any wars fought in the name of Buddhism. That is why Buddhists do not preach and try to convert, only explain if an explanation is sought.

for more information feel free to read further.

A Basic Buddhism Guide: 5 Minute Introduction
June is glad that TnHilltopper addressed this one! Especially this part:

"Buddhism is also a belief which is TOLERANT OF ALL OTHER BELIEFS...agrees with the MORAL teachings of OTHER RELIGIONS." That's an interesting thought...

June's initial reaction was more along the lines of "People, it's just a statue!" However, I do understand where the initial question comes from. To that end, I can only add:

If nothing else, part of what Buddhism "represents" is that aspect of our contemplative self/nature. I suspect there is a very good reason that such statues are sold to be put in gardens. If you were to sit in or near a Zen garden, and experienced the peacefulness of that setting, would that be wrong? (And I don't think many Zen garden's have statues of Buddha in them!) I'm not so sure the issue is really about what statues one has in one's garden, but rather, how one tends one's garden. It is perhaps about what we bring within the more contemplative aspect of ourselves in tending that garden that is important. Nature is nature. My contemplative nature is part of that nature...

June utlimately thinks that the original poster should do what they feel most comfortable with. For obvious reasons, it would come as no surprise that I would reply as I did here. What is less obvious, perhaps, is the one line used herein, which yes, was intentional!

Take gentle care.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:37 AM

897 posts, read 2,358,983 times
Quote:
I would also agree with that... as a Jew, we're taught not to worship false idols, but it says nothing about decorating with them. I live in a heavily Chinese neighborhood, and have picked up some Buddhist & Eastern-cultural stuff for myself. Hopefully it doesn't offend anyone who follows those religions, but so far I've never heard anything negative - in fact, they usually love when I wear my jade necklaces! But I would be interested to hear their opinion, since I might have a problem with people using Jewish symbols that way... depends on exactly what & where it is (a mezuzah, for instance, would be inappropriate).
Why would that not offend g-d. I bet that not everyone was worshipping the idol during the time moses was receving the ten commandments.

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

defintion of idol:
Main Entry: idol
Pronunciation: 'I-d&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French idle, from Late Latin idolum, from Greek eidOlon image, idol; akin to Greek eidos form -- more at IDYLL
1 : a representation or symbol of an object of worship; broadly : a false god
2 a : a likeness of something b obsolete : PRETENDER, IMPOSTOR
3 : a form or appearance visible but without substance <an enchanted phantom, a lifeless idol -- P. B. Shelley>
4 : an object of extreme devotion <a movie idol>; also : IDEAL 2
5 : a false conception : FALLACY
Definition of idol - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

So the person that asked the Question is a Christian and they know that the cute little statue is a g-d to some one elses religion. So by definition you do not need to worship a idol to break the commandment. G-d commanded two parts which one was Don't make or have idols and the second do not worship. This is not my opinion about the idea it is what is written.

Last edited by shibainu; 09-01-2007 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Miss spelled words

Old 09-01-2007, 09:47 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,593,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June utlimately thinks that the original poster should do what they feel most comfortable with. For obvious reasons, it would come as no surprise that I would reply as I did here. What is less obvious, perhaps, is the one line used herein, which yes, was intentional!

Take gentle care.
June is talking very crypticly. I think that I understand, but the batteries on my decoder ring are low. Can June elaborate?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 AM

7,899 posts, read 11,451,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
June is talking very crypticly. Can June elaborate?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 AM

32,869 posts, read 19,149,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I bet that not everyone was worshipping the idol during the time moses was receving the ten commandments.
That would be a safe bet. One could also further my confusion by stating not everyone is worshipping the buddha statue now either.

I agree with cryptic June. Its just a statuary.

Kay Kay, don't make me take my shirt off again! Eww, man boobs! EWWW!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 AM

11,135 posts, read 13,455,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
If you were to sit in or near a Zen garden, and experienced the peacefulness of that setting, would that be wrong? (And I don't think many Zen garden's have statues of Buddha in them!) I'm not so sure the issue is really about what statues one has in one's garden, but rather, how one tends one's garden.
June, you would be correct about there not being Zen gardens with statues of Buddha, as Zen is more associated with Daoism or Taoism then Buddhism. I believe there is a Daoist quote that goes something like, "When our tasks are complete, what else is there but to tend our gardens".

ps. I noticed :-)

Gizmo, From what I gather, Buddhist would not be offended, but the statue depicting the fat or "laughing buddha" is misleading, as Buddha taught never to eat after noon and to have a single simple diet each day. Most of the statues of the actual Buddha depict him as rather thin.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 AM

659 posts, read 1,324,110 times
Quote:
In the past walking down Portabello Road, London have seen a few Jewish things for sale and bought them on the basis of their artistic quality, did not realise someone could be offended.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,567,626 times
"The Buddha" means "the enlightened one" - the statue of the Buddha is not worshipped per se, as Buddhism is as much a philosophy as a religion.

It is the belief system that is followed by many. The Buddha statue itself is not the object of worship. That may be different in some countries, as Buddhism is practiced worldwide.

I have a little Buddha statue in my house because I enjoy Oriental art, and yes - it is a joyful expression. I also have angels, the Blessed Mother, and Quan Yin. I do not worship icons, however I do enjoy their beauty and the feeling of peace they give me. (Oh, I also have a bird statue, a lion statue, and a fairy reading a book). The Lord God made them ALL.

Oops! Almost forgot! I also have a garden gnome that my mother gave me. He doesn't give me any travel advice though.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:45 AM

897 posts, read 2,358,983 times
Doesn't any one read the ten commandments it states no idols. you don't have to worship it to be against g-d.But again any one can self-justify anything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism