U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 AM

292 posts, read 897,524 times

Advertisements

What comes to my mind is, "If in doubt, cut it out." (or don't do it!)
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2007, 11:59 AM

7,901 posts, read 11,468,022 times
Default Nope: Look closer

It was a biblical "less than obvious" reference...

In the meantime, however, June "unearthed" this, which is truly beautiful...

June "cut and pasted" the following:

"On that day, God will be one, and God's name will be one." On that day, everyone will realize that all of the truths that we adhere to are interpretations of one Truth, that all of the gods to which we pray are manifestations of one God, that all of the peoples to which we belong are variations of one People. On that day, we will realize that none of us has achieved our vision, that none of us truly has truly articulated God's redemption, and we will begin to look for a new common vision and new metaphors of redemption. On that day, we will form one congregation -- agudah achat -- to do Your will whole-heartedly. On that day, we will realize that we, individually and collectively, are not and cannot be the rulers of the world, that the world is entrusted to our management and stewardship, roles which have a prerequisite of humility. On that day, we will respect the many different paths to God, and remove the disrespect from our own paths. On that day, we will understand that each of us, and all of our peoples, are part of a whole which transcends the sum of its parts. On that day, we will have a "new heart", one that is not made of stone but of flesh, when God's new covenant will be an organic part of us, not etched unchangingly and intolerantly in our "hearts of stone". On that day, we will all live together, each TENDING OUR OWN GARDENS, each according to their needs and deeds, the lion living with the lamb, each unafraid. On that day, the world will be mended, since all will be involved in mending the world. On that day, in the words of the psalmist, the earth will be full of the knowledge of God as the waters cover the sea. "On that day, God will be one, and God's name will be one."

Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,163,662 times
June, Blue here saved what you cut and pasted Maybe I am part Buddhist? I do believe that we should not dismiss someones beliefs unless we are willing to make a thorough examination of their beliefs..People in the know on this thread have proclaimed that the religion does not worship Buddah, but show respect by bowing to his statue..That is not unacceptable to God, IMO. When I visit the place where my parents ashes are entombed at the University where they donated their bodies, I always bow my head, am quiet and this is the way I show my respect for who they were in life, and in honor of their wonderful gift they gave to science in their death.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:37 PM

11,135 posts, read 13,471,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
June, Blue here saved what you cut and pasted Maybe I am part Buddhist? I do believe that we should not dismiss someones beliefs unless we are willing to make a thorough examination of their beliefs..People in the know on this thread have proclaimed that the religion does not worship Buddah, but show respect by bowing to his statue..That is not unacceptable to God, IMO. When I visit the place where my parents ashes are entombed at the University where they donated their bodies, I always bow my head, am quiet and this is the way I show my respect for who they were in life, and in honor of their wonderful gift they gave to science in their death.
Blue, I think the whole of the world would be much better off if we all treated one another with a little more respect, regardless of our faith, race, color or creed.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Blue, I think the whole of the world would be much better off if we all treated one another with a little more respect, regardless of our faith, race, color or creed.
Amen.............

Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 PM

7,901 posts, read 11,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
June, Blue here saved what you cut and pasted Maybe I am part Buddhist? .
Blue:

What I found and "cut and pasted" above was written by a Judeo-Christian believer...

Take gentle care.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:56 PM

1,936 posts, read 3,666,971 times
Even Buddhists don't worship Buddha - they respect him and seek to follow on the path of enlightenment he showed them.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,894,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
It was a biblical "less than obvious" reference...

In the meantime, however, June "unearthed" this, which is truly beautiful...

June "cut and pasted" the following:

"On that day, God will be one, and God's name will be one." On that day, everyone will realize that all of the truths that we adhere to are interpretations of one Truth, that all of the gods to which we pray are manifestations of one God, that all of the peoples to which we belong are variations of one People. On that day, we will realize that none of us has achieved our vision, that none of us truly has truly articulated God's redemption, and we will begin to look for a new common vision and new metaphors of redemption. On that day, we will form one congregation -- agudah achat -- to do Your will whole-heartedly. On that day, we will realize that we, individually and collectively, are not and cannot be the rulers of the world, that the world is entrusted to our management and stewardship, roles which have a prerequisite of humility. On that day, we will respect the many different paths to God, and remove the disrespect from our own paths. On that day, we will understand that each of us, and all of our peoples, are part of a whole which transcends the sum of its parts. On that day, we will have a "new heart", one that is not made of stone but of flesh, when God's new covenant will be an organic part of us, not etched unchangingly and intolerantly in our "hearts of stone". On that day, we will all live together, each TENDING OUR OWN GARDENS, each according to their needs and deeds, the lion living with the lamb, each unafraid. On that day, the world will be mended, since all will be involved in mending the world. On that day, in the words of the psalmist, the earth will be full of the knowledge of God as the waters cover the sea. "On that day, God will be one, and God's name will be one."
How beautiful June. Now, if we could just get you to believe in the existence of God and divinity of Jesus...LOL.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 PM

8,672 posts, read 21,382,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
How beautiful June. Now, if we could just get you to believe in the existence of God and divinity of Jesus...LOL.
We'll keep praying for her and that guy out in Arizona!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:48 PM

IMO that absolutely beautiful piece was from Buddism..June?? Wherever it came from , I love it..I do believe that on that day we will all find out that we are all directed to the one God no matter which path we traveled to reach him...In the end He will mend all our ways and we will all be of the same spirit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.