U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:50 PM

417 posts, read 1,224,121 times

Advertisements

Just my $.02.

Does not God know what is held in each of our hearts? Surely He would know that Gentlearts believes only in Him and that looking at the smiling Buddha merely made her smile in return....in much the same a yawn by one person brings on a yawn in another.

I'm sincerely hoping that God really only concerns himself with the larger issues in our life or I'm in deep trouble.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 PM

22,509 posts, read 32,406,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessvanessa View Post
Just my $.02.

Does not God know what is held in each of our hearts? Surely He would know that Gentlearts believes only in Him and that looking at the smiling Buddha merely made her smile in return....in much the same a yawn by one person brings on a yawn in another.

I'm sincerely hoping that God really only concerns himself with the larger issues in our life or I'm in deep trouble.
I believe God is concerned about the big and small issues in our lives

Old 09-01-2007, 09:11 PM

417 posts, read 1,224,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe God is concerned about the big and small issues in our lives
Ah well, I have always said that I doubt that I will ever get to heaven. So many people believe that they are going to heaven....not me. The way is narrow and the path hard.

Do I try to live a good life? Sure, but I still think I will not be in heaven. You all have a good time there without me.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 PM

22,509 posts, read 32,406,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessvanessa View Post
Ah well, I have always said that I doubt that I will ever get to heaven. So many people believe that they are going to heaven....not me. The way is narrow and the path hard.

Do I try to live a good life? Sure, but I still think I will not be in heaven. You all have a good time there without me.
Oh don't say that! Yes the way is narrow and path is winding but it is not impossible. All you have to do is follow Jesus, He is the way to Heaven.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 PM

29,044 posts, read 48,590,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
In the past walking down Portabello Road, London have seen a few Jewish things for sale and bought them on the basis of their artistic quality, did not realise someone could be offended.
I wouldn't be, necessarily... like weatherologist said, it would depend on the person's heart & intention. If I saw a Gentile wearing a Magen David (Star of David) around their neck, or hanging a mezuzah on their door, it probably would offend me slightly - since they probably don't understand or respect it's religious significance. But if you saw a piece of Judaic art that appealed to you, I say go ahead and buy it! Judaica can be quite beautiful, and we wouldn't be offended by someone appreciating the artwork and craftsmanship.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 PM

29,044 posts, read 48,590,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Doesn't any one read the ten commandments it states no idols. you don't have to worship it to be against g-d.
Actually, the passage more or less says "thou shalt not WORSHIP false idols", at least in the Jewish/Hebrew interpretation... I'd have to ask my Rabbi to be sure, but I do believe you can have an idol if you're not worshiping it. I have a few cultural statues in my home, including one or two of Buddha.

Quote:
But again any one can self-justify anything you want.
Ain't that the truth... and could be said for many topics of discussion, huh?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM

73 posts, read 139,552 times
There's nothing wrong with appreciating others' cultures and religions. They're all beautiful for what they are, and just for acknowledging them doesn't mean that you're losing you're religion. I believe someone said that the Biblical God has bigger things to worry about, and let's hope that's true. I also believe someone else mentioned the Greek statues. If we couldn't recognize the art of different religions and cutures because of our religions, than we wouldn't be allowed to appreciate statues of Greek gods, which are in many places. And I also believe you should do yourself a favor and learn about the religion of Buddhism, because you shouldn't claim ignorance as your right to own the statue, it should be because you think it's beautiful. I own many spiritual statues and symbols mainly because I find it fascinating that they can mean so much or so little to so many different people. Learning about other religions will only strengthen yourself, and if you are a true believer, it will strengthen your faith.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 PM

897 posts, read 2,359,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, the passage more or less says "thou shalt not WORSHIP false idols", at least in the Jewish/Hebrew interpretation... I'd have to ask my Rabbi to be sure, but I do believe you can have an idol if you're not worshiping it. I have a few cultural statues in my home, including one or two of Buddha.

Ain't that the truth... and could be said for many topics of discussion, huh?
exodus 20 in the jps tanakh
And G-d spoke all these words, saying:

2 I am HaShem thy G-d, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

5 thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I HaShem thy G-d am a jealous G-d, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me;

6 and showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of HaShem thy G-d in vain; for HaShem will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.

Deut jps tanakh
6 I am HaShem thy G-d, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

7 Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.

8 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, even any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

9 Thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I HaShem thy G-d am a jealous G-d, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate Me,

10 and showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.

11 Thou shalt not take the name of HaShem thy G-d in vain; for HaShem will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.

a website that was interesting:
Bet - The Second Commandment

Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 AM

122 posts, read 369,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been wondering who to ask about this. As a christian, is it offensive to God to have a buddha statue out in my garden? Is it offensive to buddhists?
I'm asking because I saw a big happy buddha statue which looks very joyful, and I'd buy it except for my questions about it being appropriate.
It causes no more harm than having a statue of Plato, Sartre, or any other philosopher out there. Buddha never claimed to be a God nor the son of a God. He actually reminded his followers that they shouldn't worship him. Buddha was an advocate for peace, desire control, losing one's ego, and many other things that Christ preached.

A meditating Buddha statue will improve the vibe of your garden. I say go for it, You'll be glad you did!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:06 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,441,433 times
Well, think about it, if other religions or even Buddhists got it wrong that Buddha is not a God, and Buddha turns out to be the one true God, then you are a shoe in to Buddha Heaven.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.