U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,891,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."
To me this means we should not be worshipping or have statues depicting Jesus or Mary either. Which I personally don't have and don't care for. This ties into some things I never understand about the Catholic religion, praying to saints and mary and having little statues of them.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-02-2007, 02:49 PM

659 posts, read 1,329,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
To me this means we should not be worshipping or have statues depicting Jesus or Mary either. Which I personally don't have and don't care for. This ties into some things I never understand about the Catholic religion, praying to saints and mary and having little statues of them.
For goodness sake these writings were by men, not Gods. If someone writes something would you follow it slavishly, I expect not, so why take such antique writings so much to heart.

The Catholic church is part of Christianity and possibly the oldest part although I would support the viewpoint that oldest is not necessarily the wisest. Even so if your church has sprung from the Catholic Church was this not at the behest of Man?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 PM

897 posts, read 2,369,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
For goodness sake these writings were by men, not Gods. If someone writes something would you follow it slavishly, I expect not, so why take such antique writings so much to heart.

The Catholic church is part of Christianity and possibly the oldest part although I would support the viewpoint that oldest is not necessarily the wisest. Even so if your church has sprung from the Catholic Church was this not at the behest of Man?
Good point that they were written by men. If you truly believe in a religion most people will try to follow the rituals/rules of that belief system.Why do people take it to heart is because that they believe following g-ds rules will make them a better person.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Good point that they were written by men. If you truly believe in a religion most people will try to follow the rituals/rules of that belief system.Why do people take it to heart is because that they believe following g-ds rules will make them a better person.
But haven't we established that they were written by men, how do we know that they were Gods rules?

Please be frank, don't ask me to believe because I do not. Would your evidence stand up in a court of law?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 PM

264 posts, read 793,348 times
Its interesting that this thread should be here! I've had to ask myself this same question before.
My Partner's mother is Vietnamese and Catholic but she has a statue of Buddha in her home. She burns incense in front of it and offers it tiny portions of food but I haven't had a relationship with her for very long so I haven't asked her her beliefs on what that signifies.
My partner has often wanted to place a statue of Buddha in OUR home but I've always sayed no. She did not intend to worship it, but only wanted to display it as a reminder of her Asian heritage. The idea of it in my home just kind of gave me the willy's but now I'm wondering if maybe I wasn't being too stringent. He (Buddha) is kinda cute (for a guy...lol) and I do already have a Mineki neko (the little cat with the upraised paw) in my "kitty statuary" collection.
What do ya'll think?????

Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 PM

897 posts, read 2,369,940 times
Quote:
But haven't we established that they were written by men, how do we know that they were Gods rules?

Please be frank, don't ask me to believe because I do not. Would your evidence stand up in a court of law?
I did not say that you believe I said if. Like if some one believed.If you don't believe than why ask the question. I also was stating the people that believe in a religious system typically believe that it is from g-d.

I know no one can fully say there is a g-d or not. But it is very interesting that almost most of the world believes that there is a g-d.
top ten religions
Religion Members Percentage
Christianity 2.1 billion 33.0%
Islam 1.3 billion 20.1
Hinduism 851 million 13.3
Buddhism 375 million 5.9
Sikhism 25 million 0.4
Judaism 15 million 0.2%
Baha'ism 7.5 million 0.1
Confucianism 6.4 million 0.1
Jainism 4.5 million 0.1
Shintoism 2.8 million 0.0
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904108.html
total 4.68 billion people in the top ten religions. So 71% of the worlds population associate themselves with the top ten religions.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:00 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,933,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It wouldn't be in mine either.
Mine either"

Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,933,766 times
Quote:
How strange that we cannot tolerate a statue unless it carries the sanction and blessing of our particular belief.

How would you reassure a Buddist who asked similar questions about a statue of Christ in their garden?
In the same manner respectfully!!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I did not say that you believe I said if. Like if some one believed.If you don't believe than why ask the question. I also was stating the people that believe in a religious system typically believe that it is from g-d.

I know no one can fully say there is a g-d or not. But it is very interesting that almost most of the world believes that there is a g-d.
top ten religions
Religion Members Percentage
Christianity 2.1 billion 33.0%
Islam 1.3 billion 20.1
Hinduism 851 million 13.3
Buddhism 375 million 5.9
Sikhism 25 million 0.4
Judaism 15 million 0.2%
Baha'ism 7.5 million 0.1
Confucianism 6.4 million 0.1
Jainism 4.5 million 0.1
Shintoism 2.8 million 0.0
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904108.html
total 4.68 billion people in the top ten religions. So 71% of the worlds population associate themselves with the top ten religions.
Intersting figures of course, but I was brought up as a Catholic and would not want to be caught up in those figures because I have had the good fortune to understand that religion has too many loopholes for my inquiring mind, am inclined to view religion as a vehicle for mans desire to control others.

In the Catholic church it is often quoted that the Jesuits have a saying, "give me a child before seven and I'll give you a jesuit by eleven".

We are brought up in the religion of our birth usually, and most will follow what their parents do without question untill they can think for themselves possibly at or around thirteen years of age.

Most religions have ways of controlling their followers usually fear and excommunication, after all young people are susceptible to this sort of emotional blackmail, they not having enough experience of the outside world to go it alone.

The attitude of religious people is all too often rather bitter, narrow minded and insistent that others cannot be normal if they too do not share religious belief.

In true divide and rule fashion once a person believes in their chosen faith if it is not the majority religion in the locale then victomisation ensues.

The figures you have provided are in all probability estimates cooked up by religious leaders to justify their existence.

Most religigions have bad people within their midst and as well as the Cathlolic church, several others spring to mind that do not rectify the problems but put church success before the well being of their parishioners and their parishoners children, this approach has led to some terrible cases of paedophilia in most countries of the world.

I will continue to respect artifacts of art such as the Budda statue and African carvings related to the beliefs of primary peoples from within human history but of modern sophisticated religions with their competing Gods.

Thanks but no thanks.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't buy that one shibainu, The reason most people have given me in response to that question is " so I can go to heaven" in other words a selfish thought urged on by fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.