Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 01:40 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've always considered Buddhism to be a philosophy and way of life. It's got a lot of great value to offer.
All religions have within them philosophy and instructions for way of living. Siddhartha did not start from nothing to realize his wisdom, his Bodha. He was grounded in Vedanta and the Upanishads, which conditioned his thinking and his practice, the goal of ending of suffering and liberation from the cycle of death and birth.

Where he departs from Vedanta is that he does not talk about the Uncreated Self that is the Witness. His teaching was not about liberation which is the knowledge of the Self, but the ending of suffering. The means to both, liberation and dukkha are the same: Mindfulness, let go of hankering, live like a monk by dispossessing, and practice kindness and empathy. His teachings were for his students who followed him, mostly monks. And for the poorest of the poor, those who were already dispossessed.

When Buddhism spread it took the main principles with it but also got shaped by the culture in which it got grounded, including the west and its own values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 02:12 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
It seems odd to me for people to take it that way, with no deity involved. That would be a pretty big stretch. But there have always been people doing odd things, you know?
Yes. When I go to Buddhist temples in Thailand and see the rituals that some people go through...it seems to me that is where it gets into a religion. And as a side note -- and I've talked about this with at least one monk -- another distraction from it being a philosophy is the degree that cultural-historical animism has crept into Buddhism.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:43 PM

11,067 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. When I go to Buddhist temples in Thailand and see the rituals that some people go through...it seems to me that is where it gets into a religion. And as a side note -- and I've talked about this with at least one monk -- another distraction from it being a philosophy is the degree that cultural-historical animism has crept into Buddhism.
That must be an amazing experience, going there, being in those special locations. Such a different world there than the US. I wish I could travel the world. I'd appreciate and soak up every moment.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
That must be an amazing experience, going there, being in those special locations. Such a different world there than the US. I wish I could travel the world. I'd appreciate and soak up every moment.
Yes...in 22 years I spent 20 summers in Thailand (usually 7 weeks at a time), and then moved there after retirement for a couple of years. Aside from the temple environment itself, the welcoming attitude of the Thais was special, too. For example, one year early on I was visiting an upcountry temple, but when I went into the wiharn (the building for common people to meditate, etc.), there was a ceremony going on, so I stopped short and began to walk away. A woman came out after me and welcomed me back in to join in the ceremony. I wasn't sure what the ceremony was, but afterwards learned it was a family funeral. But I was till welcome.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Yes...in 22 years I spent 20 summers in Thailand (usually 7 weeks at a time), and then moved there after retirement for a couple of years. Aside from the temple environment itself, the welcoming attitude of the Thais was special, too. For example, one year early on I was visiting an upcountry temple, but when I went into the wiharn (the building for common people to meditate, etc.), there was a ceremony going on, so I stopped short and began to walk away. A woman came out after me and welcomed me back in to join in the ceremony. I wasn't sure what the ceremony was, but afterwards learned it was a family funeral. But I was till welcome.
I'd imagine that it would be a bit difficult and disappointing to return to the US, after that welcoming peace, generosity, depth, and genuineness.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-30-2023 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I'd imagine that it would be a bit difficult and disappointing to return to the US, after that welcoming peace, generosity, depth, and genuineness.
It was a mistake for me to return.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It was a mistake for me to return.
It's not nice here at all, and going farther in the crapper each day. I try to stay positive and separate from it as much as possible, but it's still so disappointing. So many changes and degradations since, say, even the 1960s-70s, when I was kid. It's hard to even recognize humanity in so many around us these days.

I do hope you can get to a better place. You've lived overseas before, maybe it can happen again.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
It's not nice here at all, and going farther in the crapper each day. I try to stay positive and separate from it as much as possible, but it's still so disappointing. So many changes and degradations since, say, even the 1960s-70s, when I was kid. It's hard to even recognize humanity in so many around us these days.

I do hope you can get to a better place. You've lived overseas before, maybe it can happen again.
Too old to go through all that is required again. But thanks for the thought.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Too old to go through all that is required again. But thanks for the thought.
How about an area in the US with a larger Asian population, like Seattle?

Old 03-31-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
How about an area in the US with a larger Asian population, like Seattle?
Good suggestion, but I've moved too often as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism