U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM

790 posts, read 3,871,097 times

Advertisements

[attach]16233//www.city-data.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16233&d=1205452284[/attach]
Why does all the info between the tags need to be visible? Or does it?
Oh well. Anyway,
This is Guru Medicine Buddha.
If i've done this correctly it's the first image i've successfully inserted into a post.
It is said that anyone that even looks at an image of the Medicine Buddha will receive his blessings.
Attached Thumbnails
Guru Medicine Buddha-medicine-buddha-3.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,922,804 times
Nice!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:13 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,448,955 times
That's pretty powerful and congrats at your inserting of the image, awesome.

Can you elaborate a little more about the medicine buddha?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
That's pretty powerful and congrats at your inserting of the image, awesome.

Can you elaborate a little more about the medicine buddha?
I'm so glad you appreciate it.

Here is a little description of the Medicine Buddha.
Note that the historical Shakyamuni Buddha is Prince Siddharta Gautama who was born around 2,500 years ago as a prince in what is now called Lumbini in Nepal. He's the historical Buddha that many people may have learned about in school. But there are many, many (you wouldn't believe how many!) buddhas. They are (or were) ordinary human beings that awakened or became enlightened.
This is from a page of the web-site of Land of Medicine Buddha, a place where i spend alot of time. I'm not a "card carrying" Buddhist but have benefited so greatly from essential Buddhist teachings and have experienced the presence and the blessings of ________?

"Medicine Buddha is one of many buddhas who have attained the state of perfect enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings. The enlightened mind has eliminated all negativity and perfected all positive qualities.

Medicine Buddha's blue sky-colored holy body signifies omniscient wisdom and compassion as vast as limitless space and is particularly associated with healing both mental and physical suffering. Making a connection with him, practicing meditation, reciting his mantra or even just saying his name helps us achieve our potential for ultimate healing.

The historical Shakyamuni Buddha provided teachings on healing and systems of medicine which were collected into four volumes called "The Four Medicine Tantras". These teachings became the basis for the system of medicine practiced in Tibet and other Buddhist lands. They are characterized by a belief that all disease is essentially rooted in a psychosomatic cause, namely, spiritual confusion. His Holiness the Dalai Lama teaches that although there is no beginning point of the root confusions, there can be an end to them through enlightenment. The many confusions may be traced to three main poisons, or wrong attitudes, of greed (grasping), hatred (fear), and ignorance (mistaken beliefs). Until the mistaken attitudes are released, all other cures are at best, only temporary. His Holiness also teaches that, unlike ignorance, wisdom does have a beginning, but no end! Once we do cleanse our beliefs, we reach a luminous enlightened mind, free of stain, which remains eternally so.

In the Medicine Tantras, Shakyamuni describes Medicine Buddha as an enlightened being who has special powers of healing. The special healing blessings of Medicine Buddha may be obtained by reciting his name or mantra. For centuries, Buddhists have been reciting this mantra prayer, to bring an ultimate healing of spiritual disease, as well as cures for everyday problems of the body and mind."
Medicine Buddha - Land of Medicine Buddha - A Center for Healing & Developing a Good Heart

Last edited by rubyskye; 03-13-2008 at 09:19 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,273,363 times
Lightbulb I have Medicine Buddha empowerment

and do this practice. It works wonders for healing sick friends and
family members and yourself. It's a beautiful practice. I highly recommend
Medicine Buddha practice to anyone....but I suggest you get empowerment...
that is learn the practice correctly from a guru/lama/teacher/rinpoche etc.

Medicine Buddha Sangye MenlaMedicine Buddha

"If one meditates on the Medicine Buddha, one will eventually attain enlightenment, but in the meantime one will experience an increase in healing powers both for oneself and others and a decrease in physical and mental illness and suffering."
—Lama Tashi Namgyal
empowermentimagesmantrameditation

teachingstibetan medicinewebbooks
Tibetan Medicine Home Page
Dharma Haven
Images of the Medicine Buddha
overviewon the webposters
Medicine Buddha, Teacher of Medicine, King of Lapis Lazuli Light (Bhaishajyaguru, Sangye Menla, Vaidurya)"His radiant body is azure blue. His left hand is in the meditation mudra and holds a begging bowl full of long life nectar in his lap. As a sign that he gives protection from illness, his right hand is outstretched in the gesture of giving and holds the "great medicine", the myrobalan plant (a-ru-ra)"Men-Tse-Khang

Thangka Images of Medicine Buddha Sangye Menla
Ancient teachings tell us that merely seeing the Medicine Buddha, or even seeing an image of the Medicine Buddha, or hearing the name of the Medicine Buddha, can confer inconceivable benefits.
In Tibetan images of the Medicine Buddha the left hand typically holds a blooming myrobalan plant. Tibetan medicine recognizes three basic types of illness, the root causes of which are the conflicting emotions -- passion, aggression, and ignorance. Myrobalan is the only herb in the Tibetan pharmacopoeia that can aid in healing each of these three types of diseases. This is like the action of the Buddha of Healing, who has the power to see the true cause of any affliction, whether spiritual, physical or psychological, and who does whatever is necessary to alleviate it.
In his Teachings on the Medicine Buddha the Ven. Thrangu Rinpoche discusses the position of the Medicine Buddha's two hands:
"His right hand is extended, palm outward, over his right knee in the gesture called supreme generosity. In it he holds the arura, or myrobalan, fruit. This plant represents all the best medicines. The position of his right hand and the arura which he holds represent the eradication of suffering, especially the suffering of sickness, using the means of relative truth. Sickness can be alleviated by adjusting the functioning of interdependent causes and conditions by the use of relative means within the realm of relative truth, such as medical treatment and so on. The giving of these methods is represented by the gesture of the Medicine Buddha's right hand.
"His left hand rests in his lap, palm upward, in the gesture of meditative stability or meditation, which represents the eradication of sickness and suffering— and, indeed, the very roots of samsara— through the realization of absolute truth. From the point of view of either relative truth or absolute truth, the fundamental cause of sickness and suffering is a lack of contentment and the addictive quality of samsara. Therefore, to indicate the need for contentment, in his left hand he holds a begging bowl."

Images of Medicine Buddha on the Web
Mandala of Medicine Buddha
The image of Medicine Buddha at the top of this page was painted by Robert Beer (broken link).
Click here to see a larger image Poster available from Wisdom Books

Last edited by Kerby W-R; 03-14-2008 at 02:08 AM..

Old 03-14-2008, 03:59 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,448,955 times
Thats amazing! Thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 PM

KerbyW-D,
That's a great post.
The last thing i want to do is argue about Buddhism!!! (if you know what i mean) but i need to say that one does not need the Medicine Buddha empowerment to receive his blessings. As i understand it, the empowerment is for those Buddhists who want to deepen and enhance their practice and connection but the lack of that empowerment shouldn't deter anyone (Buddhist or otherwise) who is drawn to him from appealing to him for blessings. Even having the image of Medicine Buddha in ones home can be healing.
At Land of Medicine Buddha the little book of the Medicine Buddha Sadhana is available to everyone and it, in and of itself, is very potent. So actually, i'm chiming in with you about learning the practice but just wouldn't want anyone (especially non-Buddhists) to be turned off or away because of the absence of empowerment.
And also, i quess that i feel that Buddhism will go through transformations as it becomes ever more prevalent in the west and that as much as i deeply respect the lineages, the strict adherence to these lineages that are fairly culturally bound may be an obstacle to the essential principles being accepted into mainstream consciousness. But i could be full of sh_ _ too.
Because so much is potentially lost without the lineage.
And some of my most powerful connections with Guru Medicine Buddha have happened in the depths of despair and when i have nothing to offer but a deep call from my Heart and in those times, i do not even do mantra but just call on him as a fumbling, humbled and broken hearted being and without any adherence to the familiar forms that we are aware of ... just a direct experience and/or connection due to a sincere appeal for assistance.
I dunno. It's something that i've struggled with as somewhat of a spiritual renegade who doesn't easily fit into any particular religious or spiritual stream and cannot, in my own integrity, wear the "spiritual clothes" of anyone else.
One of the reasons that Zen Buddhism is so appealing to me is that this isn't an issue.
But there's a devotional aspect of my "self" as well and also the need for help and often!!!! and also i like to dance in or partake in the more expanded "version" of this cosmic phenomena/creation.
Blah, blah, blah, i went off on a tangent when all i wanted to say was, "You don't have to be a Buddhist to receive the blessings of the buddhas just as you don't have to be a Christian to receive blessings of the Christ. The historical buddha was not a Buddhist and Jesus was not a Christian." ..... or something like that.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Refuge,Practice,Dedicate Merit

OM NAMO BHAGAVATE BHAISHAJYE
GURU VAIDURYA PRABHARAJAYA
TATHAGATAYA ARHATE
SAMYAK SAMBUDDHAYA
TADYATHA OM BHAISHAJYE
BHAISHAJYE MAHABHAISHAJYE
RAJA SAMUDGATE SVAHA

(Medicine Buddha Dharani)

Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Lightbulb Chanting the short Medicine Buddha Mantra

YouTube - Medicine Buddha Mantra

Old 04-13-2008, 01:58 PM

249 posts, read 513,925 times
Default The ways of truth and love

How do you post big pics like that.. ?

I tried once but it ended up as a thumb-nail..:-(

Beautiful pic though.. so I saved it.

------
“When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it – always.”

Mahatma Gandhi
-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism