Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 02:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,077 times

Advertisements

Dalai Lama Quote of the Week

...let us discuss true sources of suffering. The fact that sufferings are not always produced but are produced in some places at some times and cease at some times and in some places indicates that they are caused. Logically, it can be said that sufferings are caused because of being produced occasionally. If sufferings were produced causelessly, either they would never exist or they would always exist.
Since sufferings are caused, one needs to look into what their causes are. In the Buddhist systems, the causes are explained to be contaminated actions and afflictive emotions....
For instance, if I had an angry feeling, this could serve as a motivating force that would lead to a harsh attitude, harsh speech, and harsh physical gestures. Since the anger that serves as the motivating factor is a defIlement--an afflictive emotion--the physical and verbal actions done through that motivating force are negative karmas, negative actions. Through them, the atmosphere immediately changes into one of tension. Right away, I might not feel the effects of those actions, perhaps even feeling that I had gained a victory over someone, even shouting, "I have won." However, later I will feel very sorry and shy, deep down experiencing a guilty conscience. Similarly, those around me would immediately lose their tranquility and peace. These are painful results of actions impelled by a bad motivation. This is the law of karma--motivation, action, result.
Conversely, a good, open, sincere motivation such as compassion with a deep respect for others impels verbal and physical actions that immediately create a peaceful, harmonious, enjoyable atmosphere. Due to that, I feel happy and calm, enjoying that atmosphere, and others around me also enjoy the same. Therefore, bad motivation creates problems, suffering, and pain, whereas good motivation creates happiness and peacefulness--something good.
This is the general explanation. On a deeper level, right at the time of an action, predisposing potencies are instilled in the consciousness. The performance of an action establishes a predisposing potency in the mind that, in the future, will serve as the causal condition for one's experiencing a good or bad effect.
--from The Dalai Lama at Harvard: Lectures on the Buddhist Path to Peace by H.H. the Dalai Lama of Tibet, translated and edited by Jeffrey Hopkins, published by Snow Lion Publications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,410 times
Default Karma

Ti's Not What You Do But Why You Do It. Come From A Loving Place And Love Will Find You.. Have Hate And Bitterness In Your Heart And You Will Recieve As You Give. If You Lie Don't Expect The Truth. There Is A Lesson In Every Thing We Do And A Reward Of Peace If You Believe You Have Done Your Best To Do The Right Thing Only If You Did It With A Selfless Heart.truth Will Set You Free.we Can Comtrol Our Distinies,what We Do Now Will Find It's Way Back To You. There Is No Good Karma There Is No Bad Karma There Is Only Karma And We Make It What It Is By What And Why We Do What We Do.what Goes Around Comes Around. When And How Is Fate.no Control Over That. We Can Control What And Why Only If We Are True To Oursevels.

Namaste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism