Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:16 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Meditation and Sanyasa are like faith: they take you nowhere and only go along with you to where you take them (or where you are taken with them). Indeed, "the soul of Buddhism," as Buddhism was killed in India and its sacred heart was put up as another worn-out ornament among many to admire as a passer-by. Nothing much wrong with this, of course, since the apple does not fall far from the tree and Buddhism was like a seed fruit plucked from a vine. Truly, knowing more of the full family and history helps you understand it better.

I must highly agree, the chasm between examining and believing is like a vast ocean. But we both know what lies on either shore. So it is known that to examine and seek is to begin to believe... as to examine and criticize is to begin to doubt. I have never met a Christian or a Muslim who has not welcomed others to examine and seek after them, holding it in their hearts that belief will naturally follow after. But I am sure that if you criticize a Hindu, their heart will also bleed (their emotions will swell) and sooner rather then later they will feel mentally cornered, then they will physically lash out if they feel that they can't rely on emotional or psychological methods but still must defend the faith (loyalty, trust, belief).

Pakistan obviously has more comfort room for Muslim fundamentalists/anti-liberals.
Yes Hindus are hypocrites in the sense they still blame British, still dwell at old glory but never use that ancient knowledge to reform themselves. They get emotional because they only possess the superficial knowledge and run out of points to defend themselves.

I still think Buddhism was not killed. Just that it found new people who could preserve it. Meditation is not eh only path forward, some one had to pay the bills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Yes Hindus are hypocrites in the sense they still blame British, still dwell at old glory but never use that ancient knowledge to reform themselves. They get emotional because they only possess the superficial knowledge and run out of points to defend themselves.

I still think Buddhism was not killed. Just that it found new people who could preserve it. Meditation is not eh only path forward, some one had to pay the bills

Sometimes leadership is also important for a minority religion in order to survive. Look at Jainism, Sikhism, Zorastrianism !! they all survived. They had businessman, military troops even small kingdoms. Budhism didnt do any of them.

Jainism is not very different from Buddhism. But Jain people were traders een in Mughal kingdom. Mughal Emperor Shahjahan, while constructing new city of Delhi, built Jain Temple in front of Red Fort, the seat of Capital.

Zorastrianism (Parsi) were supported by British like Tata.

Sikh people carved out their kingdom and joined military.

What did Buddhist people do?? They just left India.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:44 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

1. I don't think that Hindus are likely to be anymore hypocritical than any other group of people.
2. What's wrong with putting some blame on the Brits? They took away much of the nation's culture...or tried to. They wanted to own the nation and own the people. That's another form of slavery.
3. It is not uncommon around the world for people to dwell on old glories.
4. Someone had to pay the bills? What does that mean?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I don't think that Hindus are likely to be anymore hypocritical than any other group of people.
2. What's wrong with putting some blame on the Brits? They took away much of the nation's culture...or tried to. They wanted to own the nation and own the people. That's another form of slavery.
3. It is not uncommon around the world for people to dwell on old glories.
4. Someone had to pay the bills? What does that mean?
For 4th point, its the major difference between Hinduism and Buddhism. Buddhism asks you to keep meditating and examining and says desire is the rootcause of all misery. But Hinduism does not stop you pursuing what you want - but with a clause that you will reap what you sow. Hindus went after material things which was in sync with the whole world.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
For 4th point, its the major difference between Hinduism and Buddhism. Buddhism asks you to keep meditating and examining and says desire is the rootcause of all misery. But Hinduism does not stop you pursuing what you want - but with a clause that you will reap what you sow. Hindus went after material things which was in sync with the whole world.
Perhaps. I think you're taking it to the extreme.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps. I think you're taking it to the extreme.
Yes sometimes I think like a nut, that's why that Asoka part earlier. I am trying to find out what language those kingdoms and Gautama Buddha spoke.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:09 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Yes sometimes I think like a nut, that's why that Asoka part earlier. I am trying to find out what language those kingdoms and Gautama Buddha spoke.
Language is Prakrit. In the case of Ashoka and Budhha, it should be Magadhi Prakrit as Magadhi was the province. Prakrit is closely related to Pali language but far far away from Sanskrit. Script of edicts should be Brahmi and sometimes Kharosti. There are many Pali language scholars in India. It used to be an optional subject for Civil Services examination by UPSC.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Language is Prakrit. In the case of Ashoka and Budhha, it should be Magadhi Prakrit as Magadhi was the province. Prakrit is closely related to Pali language but far far away from Sanskrit. Script of edicts should be Brahmi and sometimes Kharosti. There are many Pali language scholars in India. It used to be an optional subject for Civil Services examination by UPSC.
Oh ok. Never heard of it. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Very interesting. Is the principle of anatta the primary difference between Hinduism and Buddhism?

I've always wondered why Buddhism is so much more popular with Westerners than Hinduism. Is it because, at least on the surface, Buddhism seems so much more sectarian? Rather than all the gods/goddesses/religious mythology it seems to boil down to the four noble truths and eightfold path?
Hinduism flamed suit among Westerners, for the most part, after a couple of decades of many sex scandals. The swamis were run out of the US; I don't know about Europe. Tibetan Buddhism's scandals in the West are finally coming to a head, now, too. We'll see what happens next. Zen has also had its share of problems, but they seem to have dealt with it a bit better, in the end.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hinduism flamed suit among Westerners, for the most part, after a couple of decades of many sex scandals. The swamis were run out of the US; I don't know about Europe. Tibetan Buddhism's scandals in the West are finally coming to a head, now, too. We'll see what happens next. Zen has also had its share of problems, but they seem to have dealt with it a bit better, in the end.
Oops. First sentence should read, "Hinduism flamed out". Darned auto-correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism