Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,344,409 times

Advertisements

Does anyone practice this method? Has anyone ever been on a retreat and learned this tradition?

Mahasi Sayadaw was a monk and meditation teacher from Burma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahasi_Sayadaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 04:53 PM

128 posts, read 99,471 times
Urban Luis,

The most common Vipassana system is the one put out by S.N. Goenka. This is a 10 day extensive meditation program. Meditation is done in 45 minutes blocks, and this is what you do, with brief breaks for meals.

Vipassana meditation or insight meditation is simply counting your breath. The technique is ancient, and can be found in the Majjhima Nikaya. The Goenke system is just a concentrated retreat. Be advised that this is a physically challenging program.
I am personally unable to sit on a zabuton for ten hours a day, because of an old motorcycle injury.

The Northern California Vipassana Center in Northern California has an excellent website you might be interested in view. There as Goenka centers all over the world...

Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,344,409 times
Thanks for the reply. I have actually been to a 10 day vipassana retreat in the Goenka/U Ba Khin tradition. I went to a center here in Alberta Canada.

Mahasi retreats are usually longer (21 days) but not as strenuous as they incorporate standing and walking meditation. There is a monastery here in Ontario Canada that offers these teachings. There are probably several in the USA. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this particular method.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,276,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianberkeley View Post
I am personally unable to sit on a zabuton for ten hours a day,
because of an old motorcycle injury.
I know, right?
I was surprised to see the Yogananda group meditation is set up with chairs.
But then I did it a couple times and voilà...
(can't turn off italics, sorry),you could sit for hours and hours and I did!
THEN, the local group
came up with an idea, placing small wooden blocks from 2x4s under the back legs...again....what a difference! I personally bring a small stool covered with foam and soft fleece stapled for extra ease!
Wow...turns out Yogananda adapted the lotus position for Americans back in the day...he also dumbed down techniques for Americans, most involved for 20 years are not even aware of what he left out.
Sorry, I digressed, but it's interesting to this meditation thread probably.

Btw, they also stop the meditation with chimes to give breaks....VERY disconcerting...I have never heard of such a thing! I was so deep, experiencing one of the most profound moments, I will never forget,
and they ''knocked us out of meditation", basically.
Made me think these people have no idea how deep one can go or something, I dunno.*shrug*

While I am at it, then I'll stop ...Yogananda, who lived in sunny Calif, told them to keep fresh air going.
Very nice, but you would freeze and be distracted by freezing here in CO winters!
So no common sense often with these folks...on many matters, sweet like little innocent children...
but as adults seemed like they all were airheads.
I went for over a year twice a week until the cold was just too much.

Sorry, UbanLuis, I don't have exp in that meditation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism