Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:16 PM

128 posts, read 100,045 times

Advertisements

For insurance purposes I am annotating my Asian art collection. When I walked around my home in California I counted 28 Buddha statues, from all Buddhist countries in all styles. In my modest farmhouse in Cebu, Philippines I shipped over 6 less valuable pieces. To me my home is not complete without the physical manifestations of the philosophy that I have spent most of my life studying.

Of these Buddhas, perhaps seven or eight are museum quality. The buddhas vary by hand positions, called mudras. The Dhana mudra is the meditative and most common Buddha figure. Some of the Buddhas have a right hand that touches the earth; appropriately called the earth touching mudra. According to Buddhist hagiography, at the moment of awakening, when beset by the forces of mara, the Buddha reached out at his hand and the earth proclaimed his divinity. There are many mudras in Buddhist iconography.

But the most important quality to me is that of upekkha, equanimity. If a buddha statue does not have equanimity, it is not complete. On my desk, as I write this, is a Mucalinda Buddha dating from the Khmer Dynasty of the era of Angkor Wat, approximately 12th century. I recently purchased this piece from an auction house in Amsterdam for more money than I care to disclose. But when I pick this piece up, I know that an extraordinary man walked the earth 2,500 years. The best buddha statues have a feeling of serenity. The pieces that surround me give me pleasure and are meditation devices.

But do not buy a buddha statue as an investment. Acquire a buddha that gives you peace and serenity; upekkha.

It is not possible to own a buddha. It is merely passing through your hands. Many of my pieces date from the 16th through 19th centuries. I can only speculate as to where these pieces have been. But I enjoy them for the peace and serenity they give me, and what they stand for. When I cross over to the other shore, my collection will be given away or sold so that others might enjoy them.

Comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 10:55 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
The Buddha forbid the creation of images of him of any kind; whether drawings or statuary. Art depicting the Buddha didn't exist, until the Greeks arrived in the region. From that perspective, it's a Westernized Buddhism you're practicing. It doesn't conform with the Buddha's original teachings. If you want to collect Buddha images for art's sake, fine, but don't cloak your collecting in a religious imperative. In fact, collecting anything is a form of attachment.

Quote:
when I pick this piece up, I know that an extraordinary man walked the earth 2,500 years
You knew that, anyway.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Buddha forbid the creation of images of him of any kind; whether drawings or statuary. Art depicting the Buddha didn't exist, until the Greeks arrived in the region. From that perspective, it's a Westernized Buddhism you're practicing. It doesn't conform with the Buddha's original teachings. If you want to collect Buddha images for art's sake, fine, but don't cloak your collecting in a religious imperative. In fact, collecting anything is a form of attachment.

You knew that, anyway.
Buddha "forbid" nothing. The groundwork which many of the Buddhist monk-clubs established was that things like "going to music concerts" and "building statues" was to be frowned upon whether verbally or with repercussions like banishment from the order because doing such things is not "the middle way" to "pure enlightenment" and "removing all karma."

Furthermore, with influence from iconoclastic Persian Zoroastrians (and the fact that Buddhists were actively trying to spread into Persia), early Buddhists found good reasons to look down on statue/feeling-based ignorance.

But yes, much art depicting the Buddha did not exist until the Greeks with their many colony cities in Afghanistan, yet it helped Buddhism spread through religionist/Xian China and thus into Shintoist Japan. Especially given the war-horses which China required from the Afghani Greeks.

I myself have a statue of Buddha holding a lotus on which Mary stands. There is a lot more Christian iconography involving Joseph, Jesus, and/or Mary around the House. The small library includes the Bhagavad Gita, Some Christian denomination's "cut" New-Testament-Mostly version of the "most important" Bible readings, the book of Mormon, etc.

Right now, I even have a Yuletide/Saturnalia-based tree with no star or angel on top and no babies or farm animals at the bottom. And I have a wreath (based on pagan harvest/season wreaths redefined into Christian symbolism) hanging at the door which I'm sure looks great with all the Saturnalia-based lights in the neighborhood.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-11-2018 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
If I count outside at least 12 all around! Not counting the one wrapped as a present.
No, probably 15.
All my paintings of Buddha are sold except the 3 I keep. My biggest seller.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
I have several small statues and a few paintings.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:59 AM

11,072 posts, read 7,142,399 times
No Buddhas yet, but were do you get them from anyway? Amazon? Surely there are better sources. I'm sure they are easy to find in larger cities, but what if you're stuck in a boring little one-horse town?

I'd like to see more discussion here on Buddhist art, decorations, books, and music for the home.

P.S. If I drink more beer, can I look more like Buddha? LOL, nevermind.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:11 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No Buddhas yet, but were do you get them from anyway? Amazon? Surely there are better sources. I'm sure they are easy to find in larger cities, but what if you're stuck in a boring little one-horse town?.....
https://www.lotussculpture.com/

Old 03-12-2019, 11:46 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
One small statue and several pictures of paintings.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
A good question would be, also,"Why do you have Buddha statues and why so many if you do?"
Ha~!

My Buddha paintings were my biggest sellers when I painted them years ago.
Met a stranger, friend of a friend at our bar we would all go to Thursdays...he started talking to me about this Buddha painting he just bought, where he placed it and so on, he was so happy.
I just listened, smiled...then I told him...''Well, your talking the artist''....fun moment.

Ya know he described it and told me the gallery he bought it...next time he showed me a picture.
Great guy. Just a story...

Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
I had three from when I lived in Thailand, but had to leave them behind. Very difficult to export Buddha statues out of Thailand. I do have one Buddha statue that one of our local monks gave to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism