Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Buddhism is neither religion nor faith.

It is conviction to stay on the path to liberation from the wheel of samsar.

All attempts to understand it, to scientify it, are nothing but intellectual equilibristics of mind. Mind, that one has to rid of in the first place.

Same OSHO named four categories of "believers". Curious, Searchers, Adapts and Devotees. All this intellectual salad about Buddhism from modern day intellectuals is from Curious types.

As Lakshmi said - have you spent at least hundred hours in dark meditation, to at least have any right to even speak of Buddhism?
This is vaguely insulting. Have *you* "spent at least hundred hours in dark meditation?". And what is "dark meditation?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
There is touch and there is touch.

It is not of fault to a Buddhist monk to help ANY living being. Man, woman, animal, fish, plant. "clean" or "dirty".

It is of fault to develop attachment to the subject or object of help and to the help itself.

Like the other monk did. One monk simply helped and forgot about it. "cloud passed across the sky and sky is blue and clear again". Yet, the other one, who "did nothing" - developed attachment. Cloud covered the sun.
Not everything in any teaching has to be taken literally. Taking literally is one of the worst whips of any faith.

Remember what Jesus said? And if my eye seduces me...
And yet at temples TODAY, if there is even an inadvertent touch the monks must do a cleansing ceremony that evening.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Buddhism is neither religion nor faith.

It is conviction to stay on the path to liberation from the wheel of samsar.

All attempts to understand it, to scientify it, are nothing but intellectual equilibristics of mind. Mind, that one has to rid of in the first place.

Same OSHO named four categories of "believers". Curious, Searchers, Adapts and Devotees. All this intellectual salad about Buddhism from modern day intellectuals is from Curious types.

As Lakshmi said - have you spent at least hundred hours in dark meditation, to at least have any right to even speak of Buddhism?
Are you telling us that you have spent at least one hundred hours in dark meditation?

But, despite what Lakshmi said, every man has every right to speak of Buddhism or any other topic.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
This, along your other post on this thread, is kind of insulting. Is that your intention?
Could you explain what part of his post you see as insulting?

Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Could you explain what part of his post you see as insulting?

Message #8:
• "original Buddhism was for the rich. For spoiled, over filled with luxuries of life, elite of that time."
• "West general interest in Buddhism, as West got "rich and spoiled" - while understanding, that riches and spoils do not satisfy spiritual void everyone has inside."

Message #19:
• "our categories of "believers". Curious, Searchers, Adapts and Devotees. All this intellectual salad about Buddhism from modern day intellectuals is from Curious types."

The insinuation is that Western inquiries about Buddhism are merely elitist, and based on a shallow curiosity.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Message #8:
• "original Buddhism was for the rich. For spoiled, over filled with luxuries of life, elite of that time."
• "West general interest in Buddhism, as West got "rich and spoiled" - while understanding, that riches and spoils do not satisfy spiritual void everyone has inside."

Message #19:
• "our categories of "believers". Curious, Searchers, Adapts and Devotees. All this intellectual salad about Buddhism from modern day intellectuals is from Curious types."

The insinuation is that Western inquiries about Buddhism are merely elitist, and based on a shallow curiosity.
I see. Interesting points.

Well, as I think back to the Thai Buddhist temples I've visited or spent time at here in the States, the Americans I have seen there are one or more of the following: married to a Thai, well-educated, better off financially than the average American.

During the couple of years when I regularly tutored monks at our temple in Colorado, while I was at the temple quite a few visitor would come for a visit, but then never return.

One of the things that has bothered me is a sort of pop-Buddhism mentality that I have sometimes seen in the West. An example was a woman who said to me, "Oh, I'm a Buddhist". And I said, "Which type of Buddhism". She answered, "Tai chi". While many Buddhists may do Tai Chi, Tai Chi is not Buddhism, any more than Zumba is a form of christianity.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Well, as I think back to the Thai Buddhist temples I've visited or spent time at here in the States, the Americans I have seen there are one or more of the following: married to a Thai, well-educated, better off financially than the average American.

During the couple of years when I regularly tutored monks at our temple in Colorado, while I was at the temple quite a few visitor would come for a visit, but then never return.

One of the things that has bothered me is a sort of pop-Buddhism mentality that I have sometimes seen in the West. An example was a woman who said to me, "Oh, I'm a Buddhist". And I said, "Which type of Buddhism". She answered, "Tai chi". While many Buddhists may do Tai Chi, Tai Chi is not Buddhism, any more than Zumba is a form of christianity.

I can understand the pop-Buddhism concern. But why assign that to people you don't know in a stereotypical manner. Seems contradictory.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I can understand the pop-Buddhism concern. But why assign that to people you don't know in a stereotypical manner. Seems contradictory.
If I gave that impression, let me correct it. There are a lot of people who take some sort of amalgum they've devised of various belief, and then call it Buddhism. That bothers me. I would rather they say they are influenced by Buddhism, rather than that they practice Buddhism.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
If I gave that impression, let me correct it. There are a lot of people who take some sort of amalgum they've devised of various belief, and then call it Buddhism. That bothers me. I would rather they say they are influenced by Buddhism, rather than that they practice Buddhism.
No, no; I wasn't referring to you.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:45 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:

Thank you for your understanding.
And those are not my points.
OSHO, actually, does not have in mind a better off layer in a given country. He had in mind entire country, as compared to say, really poor one. In Sukyamuni times region, majority of population was very poor. Counties, as a whole, were poor. Rationally speaking, it was much easier to pray to any object around, in quick manner, maybe bring some gifts, than to go through vague, mind challenging concepts of Buddha. On the other hand, there was a very rich, very well educated layer of the few, that took from every spoil of that world possible - yet, the hearts stayed asking for more in manner spiritual. High class, high cast intellectualists - to them, Buddha appealed. How should I put it - it was "on their level".
You, in a manner, confirmed this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism