Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 03:13 PM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times

Advertisements

I understand the reason behind it but it does suck sometimes not to be able to rep certain posts because you didn't fulfill the 25 reps to others.
So, here's your uncountable ones ukrkoz & Thoreau424
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 07:08 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,476,495 times
Humans are mostly omnivorous. Where all the food is grass and grazing animals, humans evolve for a mostly meat diet, and may become unable to digest plant protein. Where meat is a rare luxury, humans evolve for vegetarianism. People in poverty eat whatever they can get and may not be able to contemplate more than their own families' suffering. A Buddhist who hunts or raises livestock for survival could try to kill the animal with a minimum of suffering, and thank the animal for its sustenance.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:34 PM

21,911 posts, read 19,049,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
But -- probably because I'm a woman-- everyone is completely ignoring my central point: your remarks are human-centered, without reference to the real issue, the sufferings of animals. What this proves to me is that Buddhism is misogynist, male-dominant and irrelevant.
And you're oblivious of this fact. Monks have to perform a cleansing ceremony if touched by a woman? The same attitude can be found in Jewish and Catholic culture.
That is not true for Judaism. The book "The Vision of Eden" is a source-book of Judaic texts that draws upon a wide range of both Talmudic and Kabbalistic teachings, with a special focus on the issues of animal welfare and vegetarianism. it is written by Rabbi Dovid Sears.
https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Eden-W.../dp/1495370534

Also, in Judaism women are considered closer to God, with more inherent holiness than men. For this reason, in Jewish law men have more religious obligations required of them than do women. They need more help, and have farther to go to get to where women already are. I am female and Jewish. I was vegan for many years, and have eaten no meat or dairy now for over a decade. I know many Jews who do not eat meat at all, or only once a week.

i have no desire to go off topic, however i am commenting on misinformation presented in post.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-02-2020 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-02-2020, 08:34 PM

21,911 posts, read 19,049,706 times
from the book review for "The Vision of Eden: Animal Welfare and Vegetarianism in Jewish Law and Mysticism" (link given above):

" David Sears landmark book, with its many examples of Jewish teachings about compassion for animals, has the potential to change all of this…His book goes beyond those of other Jewish scholars who have written about Jewish teachings on animals because he combines his extensive knowledge of Judaism with an awareness of how far realities related to how society treats animals differ from the demands of Jewish teachings, and he is committed to making others aware of the need to end these discrepancies."

---Richard Schwartz
Author: Judaism and Vegetarianism, Judaism and Global Survival
President, Jewish Vegetarians of North America
Co-founder, Society of Ethical and Religious Vegetarians

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-02-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism