Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 07:44 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,605 times

Advertisements

I have started meditating again and I notice my feet fall asleep when I sit for more than about 8 minutes. I am using a yoga mat folded up to sit on, on top of a pillow. Something is cutting the blood circulation off to my feet.

I have thought about buying a zabuton but I'm not sure that will help. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 09:07 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Do anything else to stop this happening.
Sitting in a regular chair...straight back...is quite comfortable, taking our attention easily
away from the body...esp as we get older and cannot sit in Eastern positions.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Do anything else to stop this happening.
Sitting in a regular chair...straight back...is quite comfortable, taking our attention easily
away from the body...esp as we get older and cannot sit in Eastern positions.
Good grief!!!!! The Voice of Sanity is heard in the land.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:19 AM

14 posts, read 9,774 times
Actually.. you do not need to follow only sitting posture to meditate..There are four posture you can use to meditate. Sitting, walking, Standing and Lying down...You can select the ideal posture for you...Whatever the posture does not matter until you are truly conscious about the intention

Old 10-31-2019, 08:49 AM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
I agree, Claudia. When I used to occasionally go to the temple in Colorado Springs for the evening chanting and meditation, I thought I had to be in "the position", which was usually about an hour. And I had that trouble of losing feeling in one or both feet and legs to some extent. One time when I mentioned it to the monks they laughed and said, "No problem to sit in chair".

Old 01-17-2020, 05:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I have started meditating again and I notice my feet fall asleep when I sit for more than about 8 minutes. I am using a yoga mat folded up to sit on, on top of a pillow. Something is cutting the blood circulation off to my feet.

I have thought about buying a zabuton but I'm not sure that will help. Any ideas?
yes get a proper cusion. Stretch as much as possible. The more you meditate the more this feeling will go away.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:57 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
You do not MUST sit in lotus pose to meditate. There is no absolute requirement for that. Any COMFORTABLE position is accepted.

You can stand, sit on a chair, heck, you can walk and meditate. Gautam will stand and walk every few hrs, when he was under the bodhi tree. There was a trotted circle around it, from those walks.
Don't be silly, true meditation is looking inward, not following rigorous canons someone decided to create.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,605 times
I think I'm going to eventually end up investing in a good zabuton just because I haven't managed to meditate for more than about fifteen minutes before my feet fall asleep. I can do twenty minutes but by that time, I've lost alot of sensation in my legs and I have to stretch a bit afterwards.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:16 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Just sit in a chair, back straight, relaxed. Will give exactly same effect.

Better idea is to find out, WHY you can't attempt to meditate for longer than...
And if it's even meditation.

Again, any pose is fine. Lotus is more of a symbol, than necessity.

I'd say, environment you are in is more important. Though, personally, I use a monotonous sound as distrection from thinking. Helps to concentrate on it.
Again, it does not matter how you sit.

Also, do simple. Do ten minutes. Stand and stretch your legs, trying to stay in composed inner state. Then, go sit again.
Nothing wrong with that too.

Everyone has his own way. Dharma is abundant in choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism