Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

When I searched on this, an informative page seems to say there are three main types:

BUDDHIST SECTS: THERAVADA, MAHAYANA AND TIBETAN BUDDHISM | Facts and Details

Not sure where Zen fits into this, but I'll look at it more carefully. In my city there are both Zen and Thai temples. I'd like to visit the one more oriented to social justice work, and more open to participation by women. Which do you think that would be. And what is your opinion of the different sects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 09:42 AM

339 posts, read 171,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I searched on this, an informative page seems to say there are three main types:

Not sure where Zen fits into this, but I'll look at it more carefully. In my city there are both Zen and Thai temples. I'd like to visit the one more oriented to social justice work, and more open to participation by women. Which do you think that would be. And what is your opinion of the different sects?
The section on Zen is further down the page (see links in left column):

Zen and the Ch'an Sect of Buddhism

Old 08-19-2019, 12:47 PM

50,793 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I don't think you're apt to find what you are looking for at most Thai Theravadan temples. But you'd certainly be welcome to visit them.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

Just a brief aside, the Buddhism of Tibet and Mongolia is often called Vajrayana and considered a separate branch of Buddhism (sometimes). On the other hand, it also is often included as one of the many schools of Mahayana Buddhism. IMO it makes not much difference, but I thought I would mention it in case you come across it subsumed under Mahayana.

I am an American male of European ancestry for starters. I began practicing and attending centers when I lived in NYC. Most of my experience was in NYC, but some in Boston as well. (The remaining twenty years has been in Europe and is irrelevant to what follows.)

I would suggest that a "division" in Buddhism which might be more important to you than the traditional historical divisions above is going to be whether the center or temple draws the bulk of its membership/attendance from persons who identify strongly with an Asian ethnic heritage versus one whose members may be mostly persons who do not do so and/or are of European heritage.

In my experience of almost twenty-some years in the U.S. this cuts far deeper than the traditional threefold division above. I hope the statement which follows does not cause offense, but here goes: A Theravadan Buddhist center with a Thai membership (even if it is in Boston) is in a sense already something....it is more than a thousand years of Buddhist teaching thoroughly intertwined with Thai culture; Buddhism in the United States is at the beginning of such a process, it is in the process of becoming an entity within the American culture.

How, or if, Buddhists of Thai heritage will readapt to the American environment is one question/process. How Americans of non-Asian ethnic backgrounds will adapt or work (whatever school) of Buddhism into U.S. culture is, I believe, going to be considerably different. It would seem - given what you have said above - that an ethnically-oriented center would not be the best place for you to begin.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 AM

50,793 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I would suggest that a "division" in Buddhism which might be more important to you than the traditional historical divisions above is going to be whether the center or temple draws the bulk of its membership/attendance from persons who identify strongly with an Asian ethnic heritage versus one whose members may be mostly persons who do not do so and/or are of European heritage.

In my experience of almost twenty-some years in the U.S. this cuts far deeper than the traditional threefold division above. I hope the statement which follows does not cause offense, but here goes: A Theravadan Buddhist center with a Thai membership (even if it is in Boston) is in a sense already something....it is more than a thousand years of Buddhist teaching thoroughly intertwined with Thai culture; Buddhism in the United States is at the beginning of such a process, it is in the process of becoming an entity within the American culture.

How, or if, Buddhists of Thai heritage will readapt to the American environment is one question/process. How Americans of non-Asian ethnic backgrounds will adapt or work (whatever school) of Buddhism into U.S. culture is, I believe, going to be considerably different. It would seem - given what you have said above - that an ethnically-oriented center would not be the best place for you to begin.
Very interesting insights.

The Thai Theravada temples I've visited here in the States are significantly different than those I spent time in in Thailand. For example, in Thailand I see the temples as focusing much more on the individual path. It was rare for me to go to a temple and see any kind of true group religious activity (other than funerals). Even at one temple I visited almost daily, where I would usually find a couple of dozen Buddhists meditating (or praying), it was all being done individually, just in one big room. In Virginia and in Colorado, it was much more like a Sunday service. I think that's because as a minority group, the temple takes on even more of a cultural home.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:36 PM

982 posts, read 525,406 times
I've practiced Zen for over 3 decades in many different Zen centers in mainland America and Hawaii (although the REAL Zen practice is when we are out of the center and fully engaged in the world off the cushion). That Thai Temple practice would be vastly different then Zen. I would expect it to be much more devotional, and w/o the Zen emphasis on waking up.

To me, that is the hallmark of Zen practice. No dogmas, a teaching (or non teaching) outside of the Buddhist Scriptures, and the goal being enlightenment, which lasts as long as it lasts, as all things are impermanent. There is actually very little about Zen that would be considered Buddhism. Its stripped down to the bone, and the main practices are sitting, walking or chanting meditation, w/ a smattering of maybe some readings from Dogen, depending on the teacher.

It isn't for everyone. Its very disciplined, groups tend to be small, and its a moment to moment lifetime practice. Most forms of Buddhism are "other power", while Zen is "self power".....meaning that other self. Not the one that usually runs us, but our true self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism