Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 08:01 PM

18,801 posts, read 27,239,215 times

Advertisements

Who wants to sit in meditation watching their thoughts?
Because, if you watch thought, it disappears. If you catch it at its gestation, it shies away and vanishes.

I can do that driving my car if I wanted to.
Try. It is not as easy done, as written here. Also, if you REALLY try, you should be not in control of deadly weapon at the time. Unless you are a perfect automatic driver.

Wouldn't gently stilling them be 'the thing'?
Yes, it is ONE of the things. Not THE Thing. And, due to concentration required, it is done much much better during being still in quiet dark room, in some relaxed pose and without outside distractions. Did I just type - meditation?

(Like shewing away a fly. Then, ah, the peace.)

Ah, yes.. for how long? As, just like annoying fly, that always shows to sugar or...., another thought creeps into mind, followed by yet another and another and so it goes on and on and on. It takes YEARS of dedication to achieve true still mind. As I said - easier said, than done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 08:06 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,203,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Who wants to sit in meditation watching their thoughts?
I can do that driving my car if I wanted to.
Wouldn't gently stilling them be 'the thing'?
(Like shewing away a fly. Then, ah, the peace.)

Thanks.
When I used to commute by car I would often remember leaving the house and then walking into the office. I had no memories of the commute, it was like an instinct. Talk about emptying the mind.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:19 PM

15,817 posts, read 6,881,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Not a Buddhist and not a student of it (except for a world religions class in college). My therapist subscribed to it, and I know it informed her approach to therapy. She was a big fan of mindfulness, and I was developing an appreciation of it before I came to her. I meditate as needed. I keep a bulletin journal as a way of managing my ADD. I often step back from my more OCD behaviors to analyze why I’m doing them. I think mindfulness just makes life better by enhancing it. I appreciate things more. Certainly if I had adopted it as a lifestyle at a younger age, I would have realized my mother was an abusive monster before I turned 40.

I don’t come at it from a religious perspective, but I suspect the Buddhists just figured it out and codified their version of it a few centuries before a lot of cultures and religions did.
It is great that mindfulness has helped you with ADD and OCD. It helps me when i get stressed and get emotional, and the situation that I am stressing about is not really something I can do anything about, but I think I need to do something. It helps me to focus on really what I am feeling in a concrete way and where it is lodged in my body. I know this sounds odd but focusing on that and control my breathing eventually gets me out of the funk.
About the bolded, that is very sad. Wish you healing with your practice.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:27 PM

15,817 posts, read 6,881,931 times
Quote:
I don’t come at it from a religious perspective, but I suspect the Buddhists just figured it out and codified their version of it a few centuries before a lot of cultures and religions did.
I agree. The difference between prayer as a theist and Mindfulness as I see it, in the first you are seeking strength and resolution out of faith, and in the latter, you gather your own inner resources.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:10 AM

18,801 posts, read 27,239,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
When I used to commute by car I would often remember leaving the house and then walking into the office. I had no memories of the commute, it was like an instinct. Talk about emptying the mind.

This is excellent example of how much human mind is in Maya, not in Reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism