Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 01:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,214,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Karma accrues to actions that are spurred by desire.
Even desiring good karma can earn karma! So without attachment to the result.
That kind of frees us I think in some ways.
You buy a homeless person a sandwich because you can and he is hungry, and move on.
Ah, true non-attachment ---'I am not the doer' - I think we, as a whole,
do good things all the time and move on.
...I never thought about karma not even happening, tho. Just never thought about it.

Not feeling happy or good about giving the homeless guy something feels robotic to me.
As if we float thru life with no desire, no heart, no emotion, joy when we help someone, no dreams,
no hope or plans - just 'doing things' all detached...the Buddhist's way, I suppose.(?)

It's a different approach than I have. It suits many people - gives them peace, I know.
I am detached often...when I wanna be. (Ha, usually when bad things happen - I'm a
big shrugger of my shoulders.)

I like feeling good and satisfied helping someone fix their fence...I like the feeling of joy.
I'd make a bad Buddhist.
(I am a believer in all roads lead to Rome.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If it's merely cause and effect, there doesn't have to be a reason.
Ha, no, there doesn't have to be ---but, me? I see a reason in everything!!!!!
Simply everything!
Isn't it funny how different we all are!

Old 05-18-2020, 04:32 PM

15,817 posts, read 6,878,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Not feeling happy or good about giving the homeless guy something feels robotic to me.
As if we float thru life with no desire, no heart, no emotion, joy when we help someone, no dreams,
no hope or plans - just 'doing things' all detached...the Buddhist's way, I suppose.(?)

I like feeling good and satisfied helping someone fix their fence...I like the feeling of joy.
I'd make a bad Buddhist.
(I am a believer in all roads lead to Rome.)

Someone asking me for money is troublesome for me because I know how immense homelessness and poverty is and what I give is only a tiny dent, and I feel overwhelmed thinking of it, so it does not make me feel good. That is just me, not Buddhist way or anything. I merely look at as doing my part.

If it gives you joy well that fine too. But I think the way karma works is not about the emotion we feel but the expectation that we have as if we have earned a piece of heaven. Then we need to come back to earn that reward! The point of karma is to end the cycle of rebirth.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:43 PM

18,801 posts, read 27,239,215 times
The point of karma is to end the cycle of rebirth.

Is it? "karma" actually binds one to the wheel of samsar. Not frees one. Well, one binds himself by creating its own "karma", better said. But, either way, "karma" is not a liberating agent.Matter of fact, it carries no judgement or intention in it. It simply is. Just like, say a bridge over a river. It simply is and functions as bridge.

It is strictly educational agent. This is how human learns and, eventually, manages to exist without creating "karma".

Some say, when one becomes enlightened, his "karma" is burnt out in instance.

Trying to counter "bad karma" with "good deeds" is futile. Look at Jine, they tried that for centuries.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
*snip*
And for what end, what reason is there karma?
To purify. Why? To go Home...the drop realizing it is part of the Ocean. (All my belief system.)
So not the Buddhist thinking.
I was listening to Mooji in the background and so looked up samsara to make sure I understood his words.
Whatdyaknow, I found this: Samsara, Karma & Dharma The Buddha explained that beings are reborn countless times
in a continuing cycle of suffering called samsara.
In order to break free of samsara, beings must purify their karma—
the accumulation of their positive and negative thoughts and actions.

Who knew? I had no idea Buddha said the above. LOL ---But I know not all Buddhists
believe the same things.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:10 AM

15,817 posts, read 6,878,799 times
Quote:
I was listening to Mooji in the background and so looked up samsara to make sure I understood his words.
Whatdyaknow, I found this: Samsara, Karma & Dharma The Buddha explained that beings are reborn countless times
in a continuing cycle of suffering called samsara.
In order to break free of samsara, beings must purify their karma—
the accumulation of their positive and negative thoughts and actions.

Who knew? I had no idea Buddha said the above. LOL ---But I know not all Buddhists
believe the same things.
Did you find out what purifying their karma means? I have not heard that term befor, but then i know very little of Buddhism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism