Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's sort of like "mai pben rai". A wonderful little concept...until it isn't.
LOL, yes! If East and West could meet in the middle, we might just have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 10:51 AM

802 posts, read 983,828 times
Can crisis be viewed as Suffering in the First Noble Truth?
Or perhaps: can Suffering be viewed as crisis?

Is such a question within the Buddhist stance?

Old 07-05-2020, 11:16 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Can crisis be viewed as Suffering in the First Noble Truth?
Or perhaps: can Suffering be viewed as crisis?

Is such a question within the Buddhist stance?
How are you defining "the Buddhist stance"? I'm not quite sure what that means.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:03 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
yes. much to be reconsidered.

Indeed.
And I am not preaching, I am bound to physical myself. Yet, ever so often, I do stop and say to myself - why exactly is that I am concerned with/worried about a certain situation? For starters, it WILL parish, just like anything else always does. Secondly, I do not know, no one does, what will outcome. As it was said, anything that happens, is for the best.

In general, Buddhist stance should be - no adherence to things passing. One that has such stance, is unperturbed with what might be considered a crisis otherwise.

As I said, Gautama would have asked - What crisis?

A story comes to mind.. Few young men hired a prostitute and went into some secluded place, to have some fun. They got drunk and mistreated the woman. She escaped and ran away. While chasing her, they lost track of her.
In their search, they passed an alcove, where Gautama was meditating.
They asked him - Did you see a woman passing down the road? Where did she go?
Gautama opened his eyes and responded - I have not seen a woman. Someone passed down this road, but was it man or a woman - what is the difference?

What crisis? What is the difference between good and bad? Personal choice?

Old 07-06-2020, 12:40 PM

Thank you for clarifying Buddhist stance. I, too, was a little puzzled about that.
I have not seen the phrase mentioned yet in my literature reading.
It is a worthwhile concept for more discussion in a separate thread, unless
it can be brought to bear in this one - as in your helpful posts.

I began by thinking about specific crises. I see that such crises arise and pass.
I was happy to see the Dalai Lama talk about it. Now I am considering crisis in general, as a human condition - for example, existential crisis. Crisis like this does not pass while humans exist.

I am humbly approaching the Buddha for comprehension. It may be that meditation and mindfulness are the only tools for understanding, but this forum is filled with wisdom and I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion, illustration, and illumination.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 07-06-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 AM

My readings are leading me to the realization that crisis, regardless of its perpetual endurance, is simply an aspect of Suffering and part of the human condition. This is just an imperfect paraphrasing of the Buddha's teaching, of course. Comprehension is attained through the Noble Eightfold Path and then discarded along the way to Enlightenment as recognized, but unnecessary. This seems to satisfy in my mind the issue of crisis. Now begins the real journey.

I am now a bit mystified about what sort of discussion is appropriate to this forum. If everything is resolved in the Path, what can be discussed?

I am currently reading the free pdf download of: Buddha-Dharma, The Way to Enlightenment, if anybody cares. It's over 800 pages, which should keep me occupied for awhile. Thank you, Mahayana.

https://bdkamerica.org/product/buddh...-2e-hardcover/

Last edited by highplainsrus; 07-07-2020 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-07-2020, 08:00 AM

Correct. Sort of. A "crisis" is matter of personal choice. "crisis" for one may be "blessing" for someone else.
Buddhist stance is - non attachment to ANYTHING that is passing. Acceptance of everything, as it is, non attachment to anything.
As you found, indeed, EVERYTHING on the physical plane of the physical world IS passing. That was first realization of the young prince Siddhartha.

Politicians from Buddhism, that I do not discuss. They have their purpose.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Correct. Sort of. A "crisis" is matter of personal choice. "crisis" for one may be "blessing" for someone else.
Buddhist stance is - non attachment to ANYTHING that is passing. Acceptance of everything, as it is, non attachment to anything.
As you found, indeed, EVERYTHING on the physical plane of the physical world IS passing. That was first realization of the young prince Siddhartha.
I will continue to study the distinctions you mention. The river gets deep for me beyond the physical.
I had the same problem with metaphysics and advanced math.

Quote:
Politicians from Buddhism, that I do not discuss. They have their purpose.
I didn't research the politics. Noted.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Dalai Lama is politician. This is why I mentioned. Good, bad, again, it is matter of perspective and personal choice.

Do your best to realize, that you are not your body. Nor, your mind. When this realization comes to your heart, world suddenly moves into perspective and is, for lack of better comparison, "on horizon". Suddenly, you sit on a peak, looking down at valley.

Be blessed on you Path, Seeker

Namaste

Old 07-07-2020, 06:47 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Gautama would have likely said - What crisis? Things to be concerned with, go as they should. Things not to be concerned with, should not be concerned with.

high, you are bound to physical. This is not Buddhist stance.

Namaste
I like this response best. Most of what I see as "crisis" is human in origin and nature. Drop the crisis-mongering and we'll all be better off.

Many want to give crises jackets and shoes, and launch them down the street, instead of stepping back and confronting what shouldn't be created in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism