Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 06:58 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times

Advertisements

The only thing that needs to be "confronted"( word choice is too strong, to my taste), is one-Self. Better off, Self, "confronting" its own mind, that took over and lulled Self into fallacy of believing that it is body and its mind.
As the rest, as Op rightfully noticed, is dust in the wind. Even great pyramids will disappear sooner, than later, as from standpoint or eternity, what is million years? Not even blink of an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I like this response best. Most of what I see as "crisis" is human in origin and nature. Drop the crisis-mongering and we'll all be better off.

Many want to give crises jackets and shoes, and launch them down the street, instead of stepping back and confronting what shouldn't be created in the first place.
I half agree with you.

Most of what is called a crisis nowadays isn't a crisis. I would say that most crises are just problems that need solving.

But I would say covid is a genuine crisis.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:03 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But I would say covid is a genuine crisis.
COVID is a disease, a living substance. Crises are human-defined reactions and situations. Worlds apart.

Too many are guilty of dressing up COVID as a person running amuck, with a plan and agenda. That's were we start creating obstacles and stumbling blocks to trip over, that shouldn't be there.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:05 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
COVID is a disease, a living substance. Crises are human-defined reactions and situations.

Worlds apart.
You're entitled to that opinion. I see it differently.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:28 PM

802 posts, read 983,828 times
"crisis" was a convenient entry point to my current Buddhism studies. I am no longer attached to its importance. I am becoming more and more engrossed in the studies (probably attaching to them) and feeling invigorated by them. Naturally, the texts, commentaries, and opinions from many sources confuse my beginner mind and yet I am beginning to grasp the enormity and importance of the general themes and currents. It is fun to unravel the metaphors and language, some of which seem paradoxical, at the least. I usually run into something that causes me to sidetrack into sub-searches, definitions and readings. I can see now there is no shortage of discussion topics. Eventually, I hope to find a productive methodology of study and begin to practice. You are all being helpful. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:45 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
^ That's great highplainsrus that you're on the journey, and learning and seeking. So many don't bother, and basically drift through life (even when seeming active and productive). You're one of the fortunate few, finding your way. Best of wishes.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:41 PM

Practice NOW.
Study later. If you even need to.
Maybe, to understand why, read up on concept of empty cup. It is very common in Eastern teachings metaphor.

Remember one thing. Outside of Sukyamuni, who was a prince, and his immediate cohort, who were mostly noble aristocrats of those times, many enlightened were uneducated people that dedicated themselves to practice, not to feeding their body minds with idle knowledge. It is rather easy to fill the cup (body mind0 with immense concoction of opinions (as that's what they, primarily, are0, than to empty it.

Once you realize, you do not need any knowledge, as any answer is provided, in one and only True manner, on any subject of interest, by The Light of Intelligence directly. Putting libraries into your mind only obscures The Light.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:46 PM

Let me add something.
You need a Master. Not a library. Not a forum.
You need a living, breathing, oozing his aura onto you, Master.

That will be worth ten thousand books read on subject of interest.
How to find one? Dedicate your heart to The Path chosen.
Then, Master will find YOU.
Ask, and it will be provided, knock, and doors will open.

Namaste

Old 07-08-2020, 02:48 PM

802 posts, read 983,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Practice NOW.
Study later. If you even need to.
Maybe, to understand why, read up on concept of empty cup. It is very common in Eastern teachings metaphor.

Remember one thing. Outside of Sukyamuni, who was a prince, and his immediate cohort, who were mostly noble aristocrats of those times, many enlightened were uneducated people that dedicated themselves to practice, not to feeding their body minds with idle knowledge. It is rather easy to fill the cup (body mind0 with immense concoction of opinions (as that's what they, primarily, are0, than to empty it.

Once you realize, you do not need any knowledge, as any answer is provided, in one and only True manner, on any subject of interest, by The Light of Intelligence directly. Putting libraries into your mind only obscures The Light.
I see the wisdom of your words.
Actually, I began practice today with mindful state in everything I do.
Even tedious things have a new flavor. summer heat is tolerable.
covid news rolls off.
I take meditation breaks during my studies. Sometimes focusing on what
I've learned, sometimes just emptiness and breaths. It's all very relaxing.
I like to watch the sky and the wind and and the roses and listen to the birds.
I will probably just read some suttas for knowledge. Other stuff for fun.
like the empty cup story and searching for "Light of Intelligence" and
zen koans.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 07-08-2020 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 05:48 PM

You are overcomplicating.
Meditation is not sitting in lotus pose inhaling through left nostril to count of five and exhaling through right nostril to count of seven.
Meditation is being in the moment. You can study in meditative manner. Simply (or, how hard is it!) be aware of every moment of your existence. If you are aware of every single one of them, no matter what you do, you are in meditative state of mind.

Do simple exercise. Find watch with second handle. Try to concentrate on second handle ONLY, without a single thought or mental distraction. Just for ONE minute. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism