Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2020, 02:49 AM

61 posts, read 42,514 times

Advertisements

I used to think and believe my life purpose is to devote myself for the people that r in need of the help i can offer.And i tried v hard to do that.
Recently after long time meditation and study.I suddenly see all my efforts r not that necessary. Because everything is in the great Emptiness.Everything is always and already ok. Even though we still in the dream and with the pain or pleasure by five senses.

Then suddenly I dont know what to do....it seems i lost my life purpose/direction.
i have nothing to do. Not necessary to do anything....

Then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 12:14 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
What kind of responses are you seeking?

Old 10-15-2020, 02:51 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
You missing the greatest purpose of your existence. Self progression. Also, read up on what OSHO said about do gooders. Will be enlightening experience.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:29 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextland1 View Post
I used to think and believe my life purpose is to devote myself for the people that r in need of the help i can offer.And i tried v hard to do that.
Recently after long time meditation and study.I suddenly see all my efforts r not that necessary. Because everything is in the great Emptiness.Everything is always and already ok. Even though we still in the dream and with the pain or pleasure by five senses.

Then suddenly I dont know what to do....it seems i lost my life purpose/direction.

Then...

You are right, everything is always and already OK.
Your purpose is to seek happiness and end suffering. You need to find those two within yourself before you can give to others.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:24 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
Yes, everything is already perfect. And yes, helping people is good anyway. We all know that.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:08 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
You can still help people if you want to. It just doesn't have to be a rigid requirement in life that leads to stress if you're not "up to par". Let go of the rules and laws, and be free. Then, you'll be in the proper state of mind and soul for contributing. And if you change gears due to more enlightenment, feel free to change course.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:20 AM

27 posts, read 6,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextland1 View Post

Then...

It's only a phase. After a while, the self's natural impulse to help will flow through you. You have strained, do not resist the impulse when it comes back.

Old 11-15-2023, 05:33 AM

982 posts, read 525,406 times
I don't think everything is OK, lots of things are just awful and we have a responsibility to try and change things. But if we actually can't change certain things for one reason or another (I've had Free Tibet on my To To list for decades, I probably can't change that, LOL) then we need to let them go. To me, that's the most relevant point of any spiritual path, just let things go and be present because grasping and attachment cause suffering.

My delusion was that I misinterpreted one of the Buddhist maxims which said we should help others, and I thought that meant to try and get them interested in meditation or what not. That's really not my job. My job is to help others by leaving them alone and not putting my trip on them. It's more important to lead by example, not words, and the less I say about my path the better for everyone involved. Others need to figure out the correct path for themselves, just as I did and you probably did. If we don't do this we could easily end up being led by others and that is not good.

Old 11-15-2023, 03:55 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
I think that is a great place to start. None of this matters...now what?

Old 11-15-2023, 04:11 PM

816 posts, read 444,034 times
I will say this is one of the problems we have with how we interpret our beliefs and how we look at life in general.

Life is a gift and, if possible, many opportunities to help many others in need... and here are always many others.

We don't have to change other beliefs, we can help change peoples struggles in many ways.

The beauty of bringing love to others in the form of helping the less fortunate is one of the greatest feelings one could have.

If you are looking for meaning/purpose/direction, then look no further than helping those who need us the most... the elderly, battered women, disabled veterans, feeding the hungry, etc. Involving yourself in any of these wonderfully good deeds will bring you the meaning of life you are searching for.... love for your fellow people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism