Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 02:33 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

How about instead of (or in addition to) random links to random videos, the people posting them state in their own words how they relate to the tread topic. Otherwise they are not going to get opened or viewed. by me anyway. I'm interested in hearing people discuss in their own words, not "what Rupert says" or "what Sam Harris says" or random music videos.

particularly since an earlier post mentioned being discerning about what we ingest and take into our viewing and thoughts.
that precludes random links being viewed or opened. without having a sense of how they are relevant to thread topic.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-26-2023 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 03:23 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
[spoiler]youtube]0CPJ-AbCsT8[/youtube]

Old 05-26-2023, 03:30 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohVV_KlSHw

Old 05-26-2023, 04:02 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
more random links
not getting opened.

maybe articulate for us your views on how these relate to Buddhist views or Advaita Vedanta ?

Old 05-26-2023, 09:09 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The Vedas, scriptures of Hindu thought and practices, are the foundation of both Buddhism and Advaita. The Conscious Self exists in everything, there is no existence apart from Consciousness. The Conscious self is never lulled, it is always self-illumined, even in deep sleep. It is the body and mind that become inert in deep sleep, and that awareness that we slept well is the due to the existence of the Conscious Self (Mandukya Upanishad)

The latter half of your post is correct in that the Ego takes over as the Doer and pervades the Consciousness that never cease to exist. Mukti, Moksha, Realization is this understanding of Tat tvam asi - That you are. Not the body mind ego, but the self illumined stillness. It is an understanding, not an experience. Understanding releases us from the bondage of the false identification with the Not-Self which is everything that is not the one single Consciousness/atma/Brhman, the existence/awareness/abundance.

I really do not want to do this but... even Sukyamuni himself said - I speak in terms that are very simple and easy to understand. If you can't understand what is said, it didn't come from me.

That word salad that you have definitely didn't come from Him. Do your best to explain yourself in terms simple and easy to understand. Please. Tossing in names of scriptures does not make it any easier, only makes you sound like an erudite. Or, simply tells, that you do not understand, what you are talking about yourself and, simply cover that up with pseudo knowledge.

You apparently have no idea, which Conscious Self I am referring to. And the body-mind I am referring to. Or the breath-form. Or the Doer.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:05 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I really do not want to do this but... even Sukyamuni himself said - I speak in terms that are very simple and easy to understand. If you can't understand what is said, it didn't come from me.

That word salad that you have definitely didn't come from Him. Do your best to explain yourself in terms simple and easy to understand. Please. Tossing in names of scriptures does not make it any easier, only makes you sound like an erudite. Or, simply tells, that you do not understand, what you are talking about yourself and, simply cover that up with pseudo knowledge.

You apparently have no idea, which Conscious Self I am referring to. And the body-mind I am referring to. Or the breath-form. Or the Doer.
Sakyamuni was addressing simple folk, those who were denied the texts, who did not have access to leisure and time for deep thought. He prescribed behavior, attitude, and way of being that will relieve them of dukha here and now. He was more their therapist than their philosopher. But he himself attained his moksha through the deep study of scriptures and practices.
This topic is looking at the Self from both Buddha and the Vedantic perspective. Both have their roots in Vedantic scriptures, but diverge, slightly and perhaps significantly, in their application.
If you have done a proper study of the scriptures, instead of holding them in contempt, the word salad would vanish and understanding will be obtained.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:13 AM

[quote=Tzaphkiel;65336298[
It is when people start talking about "lucid dreaming" that i see that as a red flag, largely because of the fad where people seek to induce this state. it's right up there in my lack of credibility red flags, along with the use of psychotropics. i just don't see those fads as anything but distractions and deterrents. that is my view.

"lucid dreaming" ? and now "lucid waking" ?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it is the neo Advaita.
Quote:
Neo-Advaita makes little use of the "traditional language or cultural frames of Advaita Vedanta",[5] and some have criticised it[6][7][8] for its lack of preparatory training,[9][10][note 1] and regard enlightenment-experiences induced by Neo-Advaita as superficial.[12
URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita[/url]]i don't have a problem with us dreaming physical reality into existencehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita.
I seem to have messed up a bit, the wiki link is not working. Sorry

Old 05-27-2023, 02:17 AM

551 posts, read 190,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
How about instead of (or in addition to) random links to random videos, the people posting them state in their own words how they relate to the tread topic. Otherwise they are not going to get opened or viewed. by me anyway. I'm interested in hearing people discuss in their own words, not "what Rupert says" or "what Sam Harris says" or random music videos.

particularly since an earlier post mentioned being discerning about what we ingest and take into our viewing and thoughts.
that precludes random links being viewed or opened. without having a sense of how they are relevant to thread topic.
You want to understand how lucid waking relates to the OP? First lets step back to lucid dreaming. When one transitions from mundane dreaming to lucid dreaming one transitions from duality to non-duality. From dream self (character in the dream) to not-dream self from the Buddhist perspective and to Self from the Advaita perspective, and what that means is transitioning from a small dream character to the entire dream and everyone and everything in it. From one of many to just One. That's why I say it's the best analogy I can think of for describing a glimpse into limitlessness. Dream character is limited in the dream whereas the lucid dreamer is not. The lucid dreamer is awakened within dream reality and the lucid waker is Awakened within waking reality. Does that make sense?

There are pointers and what's being pointed at, and the prior are only that - pointers. The lucid dream analogy is a pointer to non-duality. The pointers are just words and what's being pointed at is beyond words and that's why analogies are used all over the Upanishads, Bhagavid Gita and Asktavakra Gita.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy; 05-27-2023 at 03:33 AM..

Old 05-27-2023, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
You want to understand how lucid waking relates to the OP? First lets step back to lucid dreaming. When one transitions from mundane dreaming to lucid dreaming one transitions from duality to non-duality. From dream self (character in the dream) to not-dream self from the Buddhist perspective and to Self from the Advaita perspective, and what that means is transitioning from a small dream character to the entire dream and everyone and everything in it. From one of many to just One. That's why I say it's the best analogy I can think of for describing a glimpse into limitlessness. Dream character is limited in the dream whereas the lucid dreamer is not. The lucid dreamer is awakened within dream reality and the lucid waker is Awakened within waking reality. Does that make sense?

There are pointers and what's being pointed at and the prior are only that - pointers. The lucid dream analogy is a pointer to non-duality. The pointers are just words and what's being pointed at is beyond words and that's why analogies are used all over the Upanishads, Bhagavid Gita and Asktavakra Gita.
Ashtavakra - deformed in 8 ways.

https://www.advaita-vision.org/ashta...htavakra-gita/

Old 05-27-2023, 02:28 AM

551 posts, read 190,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Perhaps it is the neo Advaita.

URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita[/url]]i don't have a problem with us dreaming physical reality into existencehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Advaita.
I seem to have messed up a bit, the wiki link is not working. Sorry
Nope. It's pretty much Mandukya Upanishad as in That is present and accessible regardless of state of mind.

It has nothing to do with dreaming physical reality into existence. Lucid dreaming/waking is simply an analogy used to point to the indescribable.

By the way, Advaita Vedanta itself is Maya through and through. It's what it points at that's of real interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism