Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The cities aren't dense at all compared to NY cities. I think Florida as a whole state is a little better in the density issue but when talking about cities, they are pretty sprawling. Tampa is just under 3,000 per mile, not that dense.
I guess we have different definitions of dense I think that rural isn't dense, in which case most of NY isn't dense, over 300/mile in my opinion is dense enough.

Either way, I have no idea what this conversation is about. I thought we were talking about Golasano moving to FL for lower taxes, not lower crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM

93,165 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Rochester or Buffalo...I think it depends on the situation and what you are looking for. Both areas aren't even an hour away and just about meet in Genesee County. So, it all depends on what a person wants.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I guess we have different definitions of dense I think that rural isn't dense, in which case most of NY isn't dense, over 300/mile in my opinion is dense enough.

Either way, I have no idea what this conversation is about. I thought we were talking about Golasano moving to FL for lower taxes, not lower crime.
You said the Florida cities were more dense and that is not the case. If you look at the numbers, the NY cities are more dense than the sprawling Florida cities. You specifically mentioned cities.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester or Buffalo...I think it depends on the situation and what you are looking for. Both areas aren't even an hour away and just about meet in Genesee County. So, it all depends on what a person wants.
Thousands of people-I've heard the figure of 20,000- comute to and from each city every day. I know quite a few people from Buffalo that work in Rochester.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Thousands of people-I've heard the figure of 20,000- comute to and from each city every day. I know quite a few people from Buffalo that work in Rochester.
If that is the case, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a motion to create a Buffalo-Rochester CSA, which would have about 2-2.5 million people. I believe MSA figures are based on how many commuters there are between counties or that is a part of the criteria.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,315 times
Quote:
If that is the case, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a motion to create a Buffalo-Rochester CSA, which would have about 2-2.5 million people. I believe MSA figures are based on how many commuters there are between counties or that is a part of the criteria.
20,000 might sound like quite a few commuters but when you consider that the total number of employed people in the two metro's is almost 1.1 million I am not sure that the 20K is a big enough percentage to create a CMSA as it is only about 1.8% of the total.

It is interesting to note that after 2010 census it is expected that the Census Bureau will merge the Cincinatti and Dayton MSA into a single CMSA.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM

260 posts, read 977,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I've lived in both, and I can say that the Rochester suburbs are a very nice place to live for families with top notch schools and a very good quality of life. Enployment opportunities are also slightly better, particularly in fields like Engineering. Lots of ex Kodak engineers/employees have started their own small companies which has helped offset the massive job loses from the collpase of analog photography.

However Rochester is kind of dull if you are young and single. The Elmwood Village/Allentown/Chippawa areas in Buffalo have way more nightlife than the East Ave/Monroe Ave/High Falls area. Buffalo is closer to Toronto, which is a big plus for things like concerts, culture, etc. Buffalo also has professional sports teams and more top notch architecture.

I would say that the Rochester suburbs are better for families and that Buffalo (in the city) is better for singles.
I completely agree with this statement. I lived in Buffalo for 2 years and if I had a choice to be young forever I would stay in Buffalo. But its not the family town that Rochester.

Rochester's suburbs are the best in the nation. No city can compare.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
20,000 might sound like quite a few commuters but when you consider that the total number of employed people in the two metro's is almost 1.1 million I am not sure that the 20K is a big enough percentage to create a CMSA as it is only about 1.8% of the total.

It is interesting to note that after 2010 census it is expected that the Census Bureau will merge the Cincinatti and Dayton MSA into a single CMSA.
I can see that. I also think the Syracuse and Utica-Rome metros should be a CMSA, as you get some crossover between the two metros as well. I'm not sure about the commuters, but people in Madison County have a strong connection to both metros eventhough it is in the Syracuse metro.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
Quote:
I can see that. I also think the Syracuse and Utica-Rome metros should be a CMSA, as you get some crossover between the two metros as well. I'm not sure about the commuters, but people in Madison County have a strong connection to both metros eventhough it is in the Syracuse metro.
For everyone's information the proper abbreviation is CSA, not CMSA, even though CMSA would technically make more sense.

I agree about Utica and Syracuse becoming a CSA, I've always found that they have alot of employment interchange, the same as Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

I don't think that there is a significant amount of employment interchange between Buffalo and Rochester's MSA. I can think of few towns where people might work in either city... I don't think that there any serious discussion of combining them, and I don't think that there ought to be. It's not like either area is expanding into each other, if anything Buffalo and Rochester are more separate than they were 30 years ago when both towns were far larger.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:10 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
For everyone's information the proper abbreviation is CSA, not CMSA, even though CMSA would technically make more sense.

I agree about Utica and Syracuse becoming a CSA, I've always found that they have alot of employment interchange, the same as Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

I don't think that there is a significant amount of employment interchange between Buffalo and Rochester's MSA. I can think of few towns where people might work in either city... I don't think that there any serious discussion of combining them, and I don't think that there ought to be. It's not like either area is expanding into each other, if anything Buffalo and Rochester are more separate than they were 30 years ago when both towns were far larger.
a quick look at cansus data comparing 1980 to 2009 indicates that the combine population of the two metro areas is slightly larger now than in 1980 as rochestefs gains were in excess of Buffalo's losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area