Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,964 times

Advertisements

My husband has a good job in OP, so we are wanting to move to a subdivision there. My question is, how is the public school system, how are the people in the town?
I'm worried about the lack of diversity consider we are black.I went to college in buffalo so I am familiar with the city and how close the stores and shopping is, but is it the same in OP?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
OP schools are very good. Plenty of shopping in the area, Quaker Crossing has Target, Kolhs, Dicks Sporting Goods, Borders & several other stores + Regal Cinema. McKinley Mall is only a few miles from what is the center of OP, around the McKinley Mall they also have a few strip malls, a Home Depot & a Wegmans, plenty of shopping & dining options. There is also a Tops grocery store just north of OP on Southwestern Blvd & Buffalo St. & another just a few miles west on Southwestern & McKinley. There is a brand new super Wal Mart on Southwestern & Rogers in Hamburg. OP is also a short drive up to the Walden Galleria.

As for the people, well I live in Hamburg so I really cant say first hand what its like to live in OP though Ive heard from several people that it is an old money town & the people tend to be less accepting of new residents. It is definitely very white. If you think you might not be comfortable with that you may want to also consider Hamburg, the schools are just as good & the northern part of the town is much more diverse than OP or what is considered the village of Hamburg. It takes me like 10 minutes to get to OP, traffic in the Southtowns is really a non issue unless the Bills are playing a home game.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 PM

93,327 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
OP schools are very good. Plenty of shopping in the area, Quaker Crossing has Target, Kolhs, Dicks Sporting Goods, Borders & several other stores + Regal Cinema. McKinley Mall is only a few miles from what is the center of OP, around the McKinley Mall they also have a few strip malls, a Home Depot & a Wegmans, plenty of shopping & dining options. There is also a Tops grocery store just north of OP on Southwestern Blvd & Buffalo St. & another just a few miles west on Southwestern & McKinley. There is a brand new super Wal Mart on Southwestern & Rogers in Hamburg. OP is also a short drive up to the Walden Galleria.

As for the people, well I live in Hamburg so I really cant say first hand what its like to live in OP though Ive heard from several people that it is an old money town & the people tend to be less accepting of new residents. It is definitely very white. If you think you might not be comfortable with that you may want to also consider Hamburg, the schools are just as good & the northern part of the town is much more diverse than OP or what is considered the village of Hamburg. It takes me like 10 minutes to get to OP, traffic in the Southtowns is really a non issue unless the Bills are playing a home game.
I was going to say that if the OP isn't comfortable with OP, that Hamburg might be a bit better. I believe that quite a few of the Bills players live in Hamburg.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was going to say that if the OP isn't comfortable with OP, that Hamburg might be a bit better. I believe that quite a few of the Bills players live in Hamburg.
A lot of Bills live here. I know several live in the Cloverbank/Brierwood area.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:35 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Watch out for the Brierwood area. A girlfriend moved in and the HO assoc won't let her put up any screen on her deck... but they let the Bills ( in the expensive homes) put up stuff. It is a crapshhot... and all money related

Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Watch out for the Brierwood area. A girlfriend moved in and the HO assoc won't let her put up any screen on her deck... but they let the Bills ( in the expensive homes) put up stuff. It is a crapshhot... and all money related
Is Brierwood a planned community? I can only think of one or two communities like that in my area with restrictions like that. Ironically, both are in the same school district/general community.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,964 times
Thanks for the responses!
I'm from rochester so is Hamburg like greece/henrietta area or more of a penfield/fairport type? How is the school district out there?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM

We have 2 school districts, Hamburg (mainly where village residents go) & Frontier (for the majority of the town of Hamburg, most areas north of the village & the majority of Hamburg that is along the lake). Both districts are very good.

Im not very familiar with the Rochester area so Ill leave the comparisons for someone who knows more than I.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxogossipgirl View Post
Thanks for the responses!
I'm from rochester so is Hamburg like greece/henrietta area or more of a penfield/fairport type? How is the school district out there?
I'd say more like Penfield/Fairport, but seemingly more down to earth. Maybe Hilton is a better comparison.

Also, just north of Hamburg is Lackawanna, which very blue collar and pretty diverse. It has more of an urban character to it. So, the suburbs in that part of the metro will vary.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Brierwood a planned community? I can only think of one or two communities like that in my area with restrictions like that. Ironically, both are in the same school district/general community.
I don't if you call it "planned" ; The 3 people I know out there all live on Brierwood. I call it one big subdivision with multiple homes. I have 2 friends in condos, and know 1 in a "normal" house --- and then there are Buffalo Bills in McMansions on the same road. To my knowledge, the same HOA covers all from the one builder: Burke. Some might be different builders. One friend told me the "big thrill " is she can eat at the country club. (Having eaten there for a wedding, I wasn't impressed). I live on the other side of the county and don't like any subdivision, so I would never live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area