Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 PM

112 posts, read 282,597 times

Advertisements

NYS taxing bagels 8 cents per bagel, This is just the start
there already planning adding taxes on soft drinks, & other sugar drinks
Donuts, french fries & other fried foods

Bagel Tax! New York State Cracks Down - TIME NewsFeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,831 times
ckh: groceries are about the same or if they're more or less it's not enough that I noticed Registering a vehicle is more, but we also only have an emission inspection every other year (and that's if you don't drive by the mobile units then it's free) There's no ridiculous car inspection where a mechanic is allowed to basically blackmail you into authorizing repairs so they don't peel your sticker off. My commute from Broomfield to downtown Denver is 25 minutes. Since my area offers such wonderful public transportation options. I take express transit and get 20 min extra sleep in the morning and afternoon. We have HOV (carpool) lanes which make carpooling and bus riding so much more desirable out here. Also we have on deck a huge expansion of our light rail which will also give another alternative means of transport.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Denver traffic really isnt that bad anymore. When I lived in Colorado Denver's traffic was awful but that was before most of the light rail was in operation. I had Bronco season tickets & it was so bad that whenever the Broncos had a Monday night game it could take a good 2 hours to get from the Tech Center to Mile High (and later Invesco) even though the distance was only about 15 miles ......... but like I said, its nothing like that now as I25 is much better equipped to handle the traffic & the light rail is much more extensive.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post
NYS taxing bagels 8 cents per bagel, This is just the start
there already planning adding taxes on soft drinks, & other sugar drinks
Donuts, french fries & other fried foods

Bagel Tax! New York State Cracks Down - TIME NewsFeed
I didnt know about the bagel tax but Im in agreement with the fat tax & NY isnt the only state considering it. Obesity is a huge problem in this country & it starts with our children. Anything that discourages parents from dumping Coke & Hawaiian Punch down their kids throats is a good thing IMO.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Denver traffic really isnt that bad anymore. When I lived in Colorado Denver's traffic was awful but that was before most of the light rail was in operation. I had Bronco season tickets & it was so bad that whenever the Broncos had a Monday night game it could take a good 2 hours to get from the Tech Center to Mile High (and later Invesco) even though the distance was only about 15 miles ......... but like I said, its nothing like that now as I25 is much better equipped to handle the traffic & the light rail is much more extensive.
How's 400 on a Monday before the Bills get massacres on national TV by Tom Brady?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
How's 400 on a Monday before the Bills get massacres on national TV by Tom Brady?
I really couldnt say. Im not a Bills fan so I rarely go to the games & being in Hamburg I have enough sense to stay in my house when the Bills are playing at home. I would guess that 219 & 90 would be busier as 400 doesnt run anywhere near the Ralph.

The key to my comment regarding Denver was that I25 runs past the Tech Center so not only did you have all those people trying to get to MNF but you also had everyone trying to get home from the DTC (Also, during the last few years I lived there I25 was constantly under construction for expansion & the installation of the light rail). Throw in a home Rockies, Avs or Nugget game (well maybe not Nuggets as they sucked back then & didnt draw very well) & I25 was basically a parking lot from Arapahoe Rd - north.

Last edited by jblake78728; 08-25-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
This is very misleading -the taxes in Buffalo are shockingly high -many times more than they are in Texas which is only average. Of course you have personal lncome tax too.

I remember looking at a building there that would have sold for $425 k with annual taxes of 23,000- my home in Texas is valued more than twice that much but the taxes are $6900 a year ( way too much!)

Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
This is very misleading -the taxes in Buffalo are shockingly high -many times more than they are in Texas which is only average. Of course you have personal lncome tax too.

I remember looking at a building there that would have sold for $425 k with annual taxes of 23,000- my home in Texas is valued more than twice that much but the taxes are $6900 a year ( way too much!)
Ocean,
Not sure what part of TX you're talking about but if you have an $850,000 in or around Dallas you aren't paying $6900 a yr. I pay almost $5k for a house that's appraised at about $185k. I would question $6900 on that value house anywhere in TX actually, unless it's zoned AG or something.
Here's an example:
There is a house 4305 Colgate Ave in Univ Park tax valued at $744,080. They pay $18,138.70 per year in taxes. You can look it up on dallascad.org

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM

I gotta wonder what ocean2026 is talking about too. Taxes on my house in Travis County are at a very similar rate to what I pay on my house here. I do know that some areas near Houston have lower taxes but the majority of those places lie in areas prone to hurricanes or near oil refineries. Most of West Texas I guess is cheap.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Ocean,
Not sure what part of TX you're talking about but if you have an $850,000 in or around Dallas you aren't paying $6900 a yr. I pay almost $5k for a house that's appraised at about $185k. I would question $6900 on that value house anywhere in TX actually, unless it's zoned AG or something.
Here's an example:
There is a house 4305 Colgate Ave in Univ Park tax valued at $744,080. They pay $18,138.70 per year in taxes. You can look it up on dallascad.org
For comparison purposes, take a look at MLS # B368195 in Hamburg. Listed at $899,855 and the annual taxes are $18,148. This clearly doesn't support the theory that WNY property taxes are "many times" more than TX.

Again, I don't know what area in TX you're using as your basis but if it's in a major TX city or the suburbs of Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc. your #'s don't add up. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area