Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post
If you read the Phx Biz journel daily, their's new companys opening in Phoenix everyday creating hundreds to thousands of high paying jobs such as
Valley lands solar inverter manufacturer Power-One - Phoenix Business Journal
Phoenix is already starting to recovery from the national recession were
Buffalo is it's own recession for the last 40 years and will still be as the rest of country recovery's
I guess I would consider an unemployment rate over 9% good too if I lived in a city where it was closer to 15%.

Its also worth noting that Phoenix is consistently ranked in the bottom 10 of income growth for the largest 100 markets (and Vegas, currently 61 out of 100 trails Buffalo) ........... but keep telling yourself how great it is living in a desert

Income growth for the top 100 markets - bizjournals: (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/261.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,523 times
Quote:
If you read the Phx Biz journel daily, their's new companys opening in Phoenix everyday creating hundreds to thousands of high paying jobs such as
Valley lands solar inverter manufacturer Power-One - Phoenix Business Journal
Phoenix is already starting to recovery from the national recession were
Buffalo is it's own recession for the last 40 years and will still be as the rest of country recovery's
Though I lived there more than 10 years ago, I still occasionally check in on some of their sites. I took your advice and looked at the business journal today. I did not see any new expansions but did come across a few interesting articles like these, Despite these stories I wish my friends in Phoenix well and would NEVER post these links to one of their threads.:

Arizona ranks 45th in education, but gets B- for reform - Phoenix Business Journal

Zillow: Phoenix home values down across the board - Phoenix Business Journal

Job market still glum - Phoenix Business Journal

Downtown restaurants closed - Phoenix Business Journal

Hotel occupancy declining in Phoenix area - Phoenix Business Journal

Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM

112 posts, read 282,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I guess I would consider an unemployment rate over 9% good too if I lived in a city where it was closer to 15%.

Its also worth noting that Phoenix is consistently ranked in the bottom 10 of income growth for the largest 100 markets (and Vegas, currently 61 out of 100 trails Buffalo) ........... but keep telling yourself how great it is living in a desert

Income growth for the top 100 markets - bizjournals: (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/261.html - broken link)

Then why has Las Vegas more then tripled in size & Phoenix has grown to be the 5th largest US City and Buffalo has been shrinking in all that time, Even during resecssion there still gaining population . Even Phoenix's Suburbs city have grown larger then Buffalo. such as Mesa.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Then why has Las Vegas more then tripled in size & Phoenix has grown to be the 5th largest US City
Because of illegal immigration and Americans fleeing California.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Then why is Buffalo ranked the most dead city, 3rd or 4th poorest city
in the country? Why are taxes the highest in country ? also better yet
look at WNY future's wait to HSBC leaves Buffalo.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Even Phoenix has a Bass Pro and even a Calbrese's. Buffalo's on a Lake and
Bass Pro does not want to open a store there and Buffalo will give them 60+
million to come while Bass Pro opens a store in the desert and pays millions
of dollars of road improvement and pays for freeway exit so they can open a store ?
why would they want to be in the desert and not the lake ?
Better yet Phoenix has Ikea's too, Another store that Buffalo's wants badly
that has also said no thanks.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
I think it's generally accepted that those cities/areas that were experiencing the fast growth and had a huge housing bubble crashed first and far worse than those that were allready flat in their economy. Back to the original OP, Buffalo needs to get moving forward and get off these negitive lists.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM

The Forbes list in particular is meamingless in that it is subjective and , by their own admission, not based upon any empiacal formula. They did not feed in a set of data for 376 coties apply the same criteria and have the list spit out. Instead they picked their cities then selected specific data to back up their selection.

That said there is no doubt that Buffalo has serious issues to address if it desiresvto grow. The largest impediment to populatipn growth is it's older average age. The day is coming where Buffalo joins Pittsburgh in having more deaths than births each year

Old 09-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
You're right, everyone in Vegas is not a prostitute or stripper ...... I left out Blackjack dealers & pimps.

Have you ever been to Phoenix? A large percentage of the population (at least the legal residents) are originally from SoCal. They began migrating to Phoenix, Boise, Portland, Denver because they could sell their homes in California for $600K+ & buy a similar home in any of the previously mentioned cities for $300K (or less) .......... of course by doing this they inadvertently raised the cost of living in their new hometowns.

The Bureau of Labor & Statistics reported that from Oct 08 - Oct 09 Phoenix lost 148,000 jobs, at 8% it was the biggest drop of any market in the US (the next closest were Detroit 7.8% & Boise 7.6%), by comparison Buffalo lost about 30K jobs. Its also estimated that 1 out of every 4 sq feet of commercial space in the Valley is currently empty ......... you & your friend VR can keep telling us how great & healthy Phoenix is but the facts tell a very different story.

Speaking of facts, why did Buffalo & Erie County lose half's
it population in the last 30 or 40 years ? Why does both
Erie County & City of Buffalo have control boards ?
Why do they keep raising taxes every year ? Drive around
WNY 90% of the people are senior citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area