Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 AM

25 posts, read 57,505 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a lawnmower, received recommendations to go to a local dealer instead of big box stores. Any reviews for Hectors Hardware?
thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,276 times
What would be the difference in buying a lawnmower from Hector's, Home Depot, Value Home centers or Lowe's? The store doesn't manufacture the product. To support local retailers would be the only reason but Home Depot employs way more people in the area than Hector's. Buy the brand/type you want at the store that offers the best deal.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Wow, 78 & I actually agree on something

Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Hmmm, point taken, will be checking online for the best deals at every store and then will shop around over the long weekend. I just hope I don't run into a sales person who doesn't know anything about the product and wastes my time, cause I have no idea which brand lawnmower to buy.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,999 times
I love my Honda "Harmony II" rear bag mower. I've had it 7 yrs and runs like a top, starts first pull every time. My advice is buy a Honda mower.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I love my Honda "Harmony II" rear bag mower. I've had it 7 yrs and runs like a top, starts first pull every time. My advice is buy a Honda mower.

On the other hand, I have a pressure washer with a Honda engine. I hate it. Starts hard. Give me good old Briggs and Stratton any day.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,501 times
Way to Mow: Choosing the Right Lawn Mower for You - All About Lawns

Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Great link....thanks for all the recommendations. I am considering a reel mower..lets see.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
What would be the difference in buying a lawnmower from Hector's, Home Depot, Value Home centers or Lowe's? The store doesn't manufacture the product. To support local retailers would be the only reason but Home Depot employs way more people in the area than Hector's. Buy the brand/type you want at the store that offers the best deal.
The store with the lowest sales volume has the greatest benefit from each individual sale. If Hector's sells 2 lawnmowers in a day that could make the difference between a profitable or unprofitable day for the store.

I say if you don't mind Hector's going out of business then shop wherever you like. Home Depot or Lowes won't go out of business because of a store like Hectors.

I have used Hector's more for specialty items, like matching old plumbing or hardware in older homes. We have also used them to get plumbing and ducting contractors. I also like the convenience of having them close by for small items. I have not bought (or needed) a mower from Hector's, so I can't speak for thedir prices or service. That said, if they were even in the ballpark of a Lowes or Home Depot I would support them just to have another option in the area. For the same reason, I also support Value, even though they tend to be a bit higher than Home Depot.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,798 times
I have no idea how Hector's stays in business, their prices are high compared to the box stores.

You are paying for the service I suppose, and their service isn't even all that great.

Valu has very good service and decent prices on some things. I go there to shop sales once in a while, but most of my business goes to Home Depot or Lowes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area