Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
There is not one area in Lackawanna that I would ever consider living in. It is an ugly, worn out relic of the rust belt. There are so many wonderful communities throughout WNNY that there is no logical reason for a newcomer to move to an aesthetic hellhole. It is not a crime issue - that area is just a very tired worn out looking community surrounded by industrial blight. We are given one go round in life so why put up with that if you don't have to.
Of course some people might like the post industrial grunge feel that the steel city has - if so that's fine with me, as they say to each their own.
Its sounds like you are judging all of Lackawanna based on its western half. The majority of Lackawanna is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be & the eastern side is actually very nice. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to the area is because you can find yourself in a bad neighborhood pretty quick if you didn't know where you were going (but the bad neighborhoods of Lackwanna are still a lot safer than the east side of Buffalo or the various hoods in NF.

Quote:
I know the neighborhoods near the old steel mills are rough, but what about the neighborhoods near Hamburg or West Seneca. I thought that some of the neighborhoods near Caz Park were fine too.
West side of Lackawanna = bad, central part has some run down areas but its nowhere near as bad as Don is making it out to be. For the most part the east side is nice, basically an extension of South Buffalo.

You have to keep in mind that Hamburg's area is huge. Its almost 10 miles from downtown Hamburg to downtown Lackawanna. Where Lackawanna & the Blasdell section of Hamburg meet it has a bit of an inner city feel/appearance, as soon as you cross Milestrip it because less & less of an urbanized area (and the neighborhoods get nicer & newer with almost every passing block).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,999 times
While parts of Lackawanna are Ok, I definitely wouldn't steer a relocation prospect anywhere near it.
The old jingle "You’re gonna wanna, come to Lackawanna" wasn't effective then and still isn't 30-ish yrs later.
Want to be impressed by Buffalo 1st ring burbs? Try Ken/Ton, not Lackawanna. Maybe if I was Polish and into my heritage I'd like it?? Not even sure about that honestly. Sorry if I'm being harsh, just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Last edited by BigD_JT_14221; 11-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
This is exactly why I wouldn't recommend any newcomer live in the Lackawanna/Blasdell area ..........

Quote:
A Hamburg man who was stabbed several times when he confronted a burglar in his garage Wednesday afternoon is recovering in Erie County Medical Center, according to Town of Hamburg police.

The incident occurred at about 1:30 p. m. on Linwood Avenue, between East Frontier Drive and Elmwood Avenue in the north end of town. Hamburg police said the homeowner returned home to discover the man in his garage.

When the homeowner confronted the apparent burglar, a struggle ensued, and the homeowner was stabbed several times in the upper body. He is expected to survive, according to police. Neither his name nor address was released by police.

The burglar then fled in the victim’s black, four-door 2001 Honda Accord, police said.
Man stabbed by burglar is recovering - Hamburg - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/hamburg/article257271.ece - broken link)

The location of this incident was in the northern part of Blasdell about 2 blocks south of the Lackawanna line. Its not really a bad neighborhood but its so close to bad neighborhoods that crime is going to spill over. Its also close enough to the bad sections of Buffalo that some of the thugs will make their way down from time to time (which is exactly what happened here as the perp was an East Buffalo thug).

Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,571 times
Quote:
According to a Business Week survey released today Buffalo/Niagara is the 9th best metro in the nation to start over in.

Twenty Best Places to Start Over 2010: Best Place to Start Over No. 9: Buffalo-Niagara Falls, N.Y., MSA - BusinessWeek
Some proof that the survey above is rooted in reality from Business First

Labor: Buffalo job count spiked in October | Business First

Labor: Buffalo job count spiked in October

Business First

Date: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 1:04pm EST

Buffalo was part of the largest labor surge in the past five years across New York state in October, picking up 3,100 private-sector jobs, or 0.7 percent, the state Department of Labor reported Thursday.

Read more: Labor: Buffalo job count spiked in October | Business First

Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Some proof that the survey above is rooted in reality from Business First

Labor: Buffalo job count spiked in October | Business First

Labor: Buffalo job count spiked in October

Business First

Date: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 1:04pm EST

Buffalo was part of the largest labor surge in the past five years across New York state in October, picking up 3,100 private-sector jobs, or 0.7 percent, the state Department of Labor reported Thursday.

Read more: Labor: Buffalo job count spiked in October | Business First
From what it looks like, the major Upstate NY metros might be on the rise according to that list. Very good news.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 58,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I hear ya', as there are such communities in metros throughout Upstate NY.

I was also wondering if the village of Lancaster would work. Not so sure about Depew.
I grew up in Lancaster, its a quiet town about 15mins from the city.If your looking to rent an apartment, in the village mostly there are duplex's for rent. I live in a nice apartment complex the rent is $750 for 2bedrooms, water and heat is included in that. Depew isn't a bad town its like a part of Lancaster, some people call it the "ghetto" of Lancaster but it is mostly a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area