Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 9,874 times

Advertisements

hello. I'm going to be graduating in may from WVU with a nursing degree (morgantown,wv) and considering moving to buffalo NY. I was just wondering where the young professionals lived in the area. What life was like there... outdoor recreation lifestyle? I love the snow and water! ANY info would be appreciated.. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Lots of 'Eers in the Southtowns, my gym is full of them. I only know this cause one of the guys I work out with is a Pitt grad & usually gets a hard time whenever he wears a Pitt shirt.

If you love snow & water, prefer the outdoors over the bar scene then the Southtowns are the place for you.

Outdoor activities are going to be very similar to what you have in WVa (only its a bit colder here, rock climbing is much better there & we have a bigger lake), hiking, biking, boating etc are huge in the spring, summer & fall. Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating & snowshoeing in the winter.

With a nursing degree you should have no problem finding a good job in the area (and may be able to get relocation assistance and/or a sign on bonus).

Last edited by jblake78728; 11-17-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
According to a Business Week survey released today Buffalo/Niagara is the 9th best metro in the nation to start over in.

Twenty Best Places to Start Over 2010: Best Place to Start Over No. 9: Buffalo-Niagara Falls, N.Y., MSA - BusinessWeek

Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Lots of 'Eers in the Southtowns, my gym is full of them. I only know this cause one of the guys I work out with is a Pitt grad & usually gets a hard time whenever he wears a Pitt shirt.

If you love snow & water, prefer the outdoors over the bar scene then the Southtowns are the place for you.

Outdoor activities are going to be very similar to what you have in WVa (only its a bit colder here, rock climbing is much better there & we have a bigger lake), hiking, biking, boating etc are huge in the spring, summer & fall. Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating & snowshoeing in the winter.

With a nursing degree you should have no problem finding a good job in the area (and may be able to get relocation assistance and/or a sign on bonus).
Would the villages in the Southtowns like Hamburg or Orchard Park work? Could parts of South Buffalo or even the nicer parts of Lackawanna work as well? East Aurora could be a sleeper in this regard too.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would the villages in the Southtowns like Hamburg or Orchard Park work? Could parts of South Buffalo or even the nicer parts of Lackawanna work as well? East Aurora could be a sleeper in this regard too.
I'd say the best would be Hamburg or East Aurora, both have vibrant downtown areas. Orchard Park is nice but the downtown area is so small (and the housing is a bit higher) when compared to the other 2.

To me South Buffalo & Lackawanna wouldn't work. Caz Park makes it a little more attractive but the fact that both areas have some pretty bad neighborhoods very close by would make me hesitant to recommend any single young female who sounds like they would want to explore the area move there without being familiar with the area already.

Last edited by jblake78728; 11-17-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
the nicer parts of Lackawanna
I believe that might be an oxymoron

Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
I believe that might be an oxymoron
I know the neighborhoods near the old steel mills are rough, but what about the neighborhoods near Hamburg or West Seneca. I thought that some of the neighborhoods near Caz Park were fine too.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I know the neighborhoods near the old steel mills are rough, but what about the neighborhoods near Hamburg or West Seneca. I thought that some of the neighborhoods near Caz Park were fine too.
There is not one area in Lackawanna that I would ever consider living in. It is an ugly, worn out relic of the rust belt. There are so many wonderful communities throughout WNNY that there is no logical reason for a newcomer to move to an aesthetic hellhole. It is not a crime issue - that area is just a very tired worn out looking community surrounded by industrial blight. We are given one go round in life so why put up with that if you don't have to.
Of course some people might like the post industrial grunge feel that the steel city has - if so that's fine with me, as they say to each their own.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM

I hear ya', as there are such communities in metros throughout Upstate NY.

I was also wondering if the village of Lancaster would work. Not so sure about Depew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area