Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 PM

122 posts, read 352,273 times

Advertisements

I am wondering this because as Buffalo has so many amazing things it already offers (Tim Hortons, Wegmans, Shea's etc) what are some things that you miss from where you came from if you are not originally from the area? My family always says they wish there was a Whole Foods in the area and my husband says, if we move to Buffalo I wish there was a Costco. So, what do you feel that is missing in the Buffalo area? Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 02:05 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
I am wondering this because as Buffalo has so many amazing things it already offers (Tim Hortons, Wegmans, Shea's etc) what are some things that you miss from where you came from if you are not originally from the area? My family always says they wish there was a Whole Foods in the area and my husband says, if we move to Buffalo I wish there was a Costco. So, what do you feel that is missing in the Buffalo area? Thanks for your responses!
Bass Pro on the waterfront! LOL sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 PM

122 posts, read 352,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Bass Pro on the waterfront! LOL sorry, couldn't resist.

LOL! I remember those days! But if not a Bass Pro then what? What does Buffalo need?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Ikea! Oh wait, they turned down Buffalo too..

Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
IKEA and Whole Foods were my first thoughts. Silly that Toronto has them but not Buffalo. Hey, if not Whole Foods then why not Trader Joe's? And add a Crate and Barrel too.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM

205 posts, read 479,450 times
The demographics in Buffalo aren't good enough for an Ikea. And they will simply tell you to order online or go to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Burlington. If an Ikea was here I would shop there for some basics but all in all I feel most of it is garbage or things that date too quickly.

I can only assume that Traders Joes and Whole Foods also don't like the demographics of the area. But Wegmans has shown them it can work. It's probably a combination of competition from local grocers, demographics, and logistics.

I would say H&M but I heard they are going to open a store in the Galleria soon.

Bass Pro got caught up in all the waterfront redevelopment non sense. I mean really.... who is going to wait 10 years to open a store. And before everyone starts clamoring on about how bad Buffalo sucks for taking so long do some research on how long it took other cities, Baltimore for example, to get their waterfront going. Hint: a long ass time.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM

205 posts, read 479,450 times
IKEA says no thanks to Canal Side location - City & Region - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article98928.ece - broken link)

There we go.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
I can't think of any reason I would ever step foot in an IKEA. The current plans for the waterfront are 100x's better than an IKEA or Bass Pro, hopefully they will follow through. I absolute love the idea of making canals & using them for public ice skating, that would get me to the waterfront a lot quicker (and more often) than any big box or specialty store.

Trader Joes would be nice but realistically how many people would go there instead of Wegmans once the novelty wore off? Consumer reports even ranks Wegmans higher so I cant see a bunch of WNYers forsaking a WNY company for one from California when the NY company is superior.

Buffalo has just about anything for anyone, the problem isn't what it lacks as much as that everything is so spread out. One of your favorite places may be in Amherst while another is in Orchard Park. Its a shame that a place like Dave & Busters is way out on Transit, it could have been a great draw for the waterfront.

Last edited by jblake78728; 01-14-2011 at 10:11 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,297 times
Costco's hands down! I belong to Costco's and have belonged for almost 10 yrs now. I have to go towards new jersey or nyc area to find one. I also love Whole Foods, but yes I do agree that Wegmans offers many of those products.

Last edited by energygrrl; 01-15-2011 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 AM

77 posts, read 280,479 times
I was so happy to learn that Anthropologie is opening soon at Galleria.

I think we definitely still need Trader Joes, Whole Foods Crate and Barrel, H&M, Nordstrom, Costco, Sur La Table, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area